Baltic accessilble tours.

Hi

The one thing you don't want to book is a cruise ship tour, they are too rushed and exhasting for anyone with any mobility problems.

I listened to people on these boards and we book a private tour of approx 6-7 hrs on the 2 days we were there. We used Alla tours but there are others who I am sure are just as good. It is important to have a good email conversation as to your limits and needs, for example what is accessable.

I am a part time wheelchair user ,so need appropriate transport and access. The guide and driver were fab and my wheelchair folded up in the van they provided. The driver got the chair in and out at each stop and was able to get very near places. At the Hermitage , the guide got us past the queues and also straight to the lift and stair/lift at the entrance. It was excellent and I can't recommend it enough:)

OK, we went with SPB but if you don't want to go private then you will have to do as much as you can before you cruise to identify what challenges will be present. Call P&O and ask to speak to their "special needs" person. Find out if they use a van or a mini bus or a regular bus for this tour. Can you transfer to any of these vehicles? Press them to meet your needs. Make sure you get a letter or e-mail from this person telling you what they will (or will not) be able to provide. Then when you get on board go to the shore excursions desk and show them the letter (or e-mail) you received and make sure they agree that the services you need can be provided. I loved St. Petersburg but it is not in my opinion handicap friendly. I was exhausted at the end of our two days and I stayed in the mini bus for a few of the sites. You will encounter steps without curb cuts and other areas that although well worth visiting require having someone with you who can help move you and your equipment. I was on a private tour with my able bodied husband and was catered to. I can't imagine doing this type of tour with other disabled individuals and a guide or two.

OP is there a particular reason that you only want to do a ship's tour?

P&O offer special accessible shore excursions which provide fully wheelchair access mini buses. These are totally seperate from the standard ships tours and fully geared for wheelchair users, so I can understand why the OP would want to book one of these.

Unfortunately first timer we have not yet done a baltic cruise so cannot answer your specific question.

OK, we went with SPB but if you don't want to go private then you will have to do as much as you can before you cruise to identify what challenges will be present. Call P&O and ask to speak to their "special needs" person. Find out if they use a van or a mini bus or a regular bus for this tour. Can you transfer to any of these vehicles? Press them to meet your needs. Make sure you get a letter or e-mail from this person telling you what they will (or will not) be able to provide. Then when you get on board go to the shore excursions desk and show them the letter (or e-mail) you received and make sure they agree that the services you need can be provided. I loved St. Petersburg but it is not in my opinion handicap friendly. I was exhausted at the end of our two days and I stayed in the mini bus for a few of the sites. You will encounter steps without curb cuts and other areas that although well worth visiting require having someone with you who can help move you and your equipment. I was on a private tour with my able bodied husband and was catered to. I can't imagine doing this type of tour with other disabled individuals and a guide or two.

Believe me no-one has done more homework on this trip than me as being in a wheelchair is still very new to me. We did the Baltic many years ago when I was able bodied so I know what St Petersburg can be like, so doing it in a wheelchair is going to be so different. I have found the special needs people at p and o very helpful so far. I just wanted the perspective of someone who may have done this particular trip.

Klauer,

We were going to do a private trip with the group of friends we are travelling with, but they have all decided to do ship's tours. We do not want to do a private tour alone until I find out from experience what is involved.

many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Were you by any chance on the Jewel of the Seas 12 nite Baltic 5/31/10? There was a lady who had a small scooter that was able to go places that I wouldn't have thought would be scooter accessable. A few months ago I purchased a Luggie scooter from thescooterstore dot com knowing I had a cruise booked on the Allure. It helped tremendously while on the cruise, and the staff was so helpful. Only a very few times did I have to wait for elevators, mainly because they were full when they arrived.

The Luggie is about 20-25# heavier with battery installed than the Travelscoot, and has a more substantial seat. It folds down to half it's length (no parts to be removed), and can be pulled freewheel if needed. I bought a hard side case for travel, and it went through baggage check just fine.

Archived