park/cruise san pedro

eyegirl

hi all

we are going to leave our car at a hotel while on a 28 nt cruise (yippee)! Last time, we parked at the Doubletree and it was terrific. Someone mentioned the Best Western or Vagabond Inn might be less expensive. My question is...is the area safe to leave car for a month or are we better off parking at the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza?

thanks for your input

There are always risks when you leave your car anywhere...

That said, the Vagabond and Best Western are clearly not in as desirable an area as the Doubletree, though I am not sure how that relates to crime statistics and hotel security.

These hotels are right on Gaffey Street, the main north/south thoroughfare through San Pedro and are located right where the 110 Freeway dumps out onto the streets of San Pedro at its terminus...So, I guess, in a way, perhaps it's a little less safe--though I haven't heard reports of anyone here having their cars broken into or stolen while there.

Neither are as nice a hotel as the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza...and the location is not as peaceful and scenic as the Doubletree nor as convenient and welcoming as the Crowne Plaza...

If it is important to you to save every dollar, I'd say, sure, go ahead and stay at the Best Western (at least it gets better reviews than the Vagabond)...

• 2 weeks later...
hi all

we are going to leave our car at a hotel while on a 28 nt cruise (yippee)! Last time, we parked at the Doubletree and it was terrific. Someone mentioned the Best Western or Vagabond Inn might be less expensive. My question is...is the area safe to leave car for a month or are we better off parking at the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza?

thanks for your input

We're doing a 28 day next October. Someone on our roll call is arranging a block of rooms at the Doubletree. They were quoted a group rate of $182 per night but it includes parking for the night of stay plus the full 28 days of the cruise.

We're doing a 28 day next October. Someone on our roll call is arranging a block of rooms at the Doubletree. They were quoted a group rate of $182 per night but it includes parking for the night of stay plus the full 28 days of the cruise.

That's true...but you left out the part that I have to GUARANTEE a block of rooms to get that rate!

If you do it on your own, then the price including parking is closer to $250.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

We stayed at the Best Western on our first cruise, and it was a nice hotel, and parking included was good. It was fine, and there were plenty of other Cruisers there too.

However, I would not recommend it for long term cruises because the parking lot is basically open to anyone and everyone who wants to walk through from the street. It's just an open lot directly underneath the hotel, and you take an elevator up to the lobby.

There were no security gaurds, no fencing, it's literally just a regular parking lot that they allow you to keep your car in.

Also, the shuttle does not run until a few hours after you get back into port, so we had to take a taxi back to the hotel so that we would not be sitting around waiting there for several hours. Hopefully by now they have changed that.

This time I booked us at the Crowne Plaza since it's supposed to be so much closer to the port.

• 2 weeks later...