Bringing reef safe sunscreen - what will they check?

itmustbeso

I couldn't find any well-reviewed reef safe sunscreen on Amazon that was less than 4 oz.

I have an excursion booked with Carnival in Cozumel that specifically says to bring reef safe sunscreen, and reviews indicate that they will check to make sure it's reef safe.

Does this mean I can't bring my sunscreen in a travel-sized bottle to avoid taking up unnecessary space in my luggage? Or, would it be OK to print out a copy of the label beforehand and bring that with me?

The brand I got was Tropical Sands.

I think I got the same one from amazon for the same reason. They didn't check the bottle last time when I went on a snorkel trip. Maybe they don't need to as they could clearly see it on our faces. That thing is super white.. and doesn't seem to rub off. So unless your skin is very white.. it makes you look like you have a white face paint on like those kabuki actors. :D

I don't know if it was the brand or just all biodegradable sunscreen is like that. Or maybe I didn't shake it enough. :rolleyes:

I couldn't find any well-reviewed reef safe sunscreen on Amazon that was less than 4 oz.

I have an excursion booked with Carnival in Cozumel that specifically says to bring reef safe sunscreen, and reviews indicate that they will check to make sure it's reef safe.

Does this mean I can't bring my sunscreen in a travel-sized bottle to avoid taking up unnecessary space in my luggage? Or, would it be OK to print out a copy of the label beforehand and bring that with me?

The brand I got was Tropical Sands.

If you scroll down on the main page, you will see posts by port. Find Caribbean ports, and see if it was answered, or post your question there.

My husband and I went on 1 of those excursions. We swam with the turtles. We applied the reef safe sunscreen before we left for the excursion. On the excursion our guide wouldn't let us put any more on at all, no matter which kind it was. Thankfully it still worked and we didn't get sunburned.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Stream2Sea has a 3 oz. tube of the Body Sport SPF 30 on Amazon. It says it's 4 oz. shipped, but in the Q&A somebody mentions it's a 3 oz. bottle.

You should definitely invest in some. It does a lot to protect the environment. I worked in a resort park that had to clean the artificial reef weekly because of oil build up.

Here's an indirect suggestion.

I noticed on our last couple of cruises that at the beach, many people wore rashguards (long-sleeve, close-fitting, quick-dry shirts) both in the water and on the beach. People just playing in the water frequently wore hats and sunglasses as well.

Crew, and local professionals, had them, too. They look good, are comfortable, and don't hurt the reef.

(I still definitely use sunblock on my face, though.)