Drink Packages on P&O Australia

I understand that for ships based in Australia, there is a legal issues with 'all inclusive' type drink packages.

Having said that, the price other cruise lines sell them for, it seems tt be cheaper to me to buy the drinks individually.

RCCL and Celebrity do offer the drink packages on Australian cruises. I think it might be just a Carnival Australia having this rule. Does anyone know if Princess has drink packages on the Diamond Princess this year?

From what I understand, while the Diamond is sailing her Asian itineraries she has the drinks package. However once she starts her Australian cruises (Sydney to Sydney), she technically becomes an Australian ship, everything in AUD and no alcoholic drinks packages.

• 1 month later...
From what I understand, while the Diamond is sailing her Asian itineraries she has the drinks package. However once she starts her Australian cruises (Sydney to Sydney), she technically becomes an Australian ship, everything in AUD and no alcoholic drinks packages.

Is this a general rule nowadays, even with Royal Caribbean?

Thinking about another cruise with P&O (first time) so good to know not to expect a drinks package there...

Is this a general rule nowadays, even with Royal Caribbean?

Thinking about another cruise with P&O (first time) so good to know not to expect a drinks package there...

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity still have drinks packages when cruising out of Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Only if you buy that much.

For the majority of passengers they don't, so the cruise lines make more money out of the packages. Even though consumption has increased, so have sales so they're still ahead.