Thoughts on Liberty of the Seas

TEGL

Been trying to research a cruise for our family vacation and due to the location of where we have to leave from the only ship that keeps coming up is Liberty of the Seas. For those that have been on it what are your thoughts? We will be traveling with a very active and busy 2-year old, will it be suitable for him? I worry about getting activivites.

We're looking and doing the Western Carribean

Cozumel (planning passion island, playa Mia or paradise beach)

Honduras (planning Victor Bodden's House, Iguna Farm or Soith Shore Eco Walk)

And Puerto Costa Maya,

what are thoughts on that destination when traveling with a toddler?

We went on Freedom (Liberty's sister ship) last Thanksgiving, and it was an amazing ship. I think Liberty has added water slides, but otherwise I think they are very similar.

There is a lot going on - between Dreamworks characters and parades, the ice show, the royal promenade, miniature golf, sports deck, Flowrider (your son is too young, but he might enjoy watching), and the nursery. Our son did not like the main dining room when he was smaller, so we ate at specialty restaurants and Windjammer (buffet). On Freedom, there are tables where you can look at ocean - at 3, our son loved sitting there watching the waves. Not sure if Liberty has On Air or not, but you can make video postcards there.

I would not hesitate to take Liberty with a young one. The only ships that might be better would be Oasis class, which has water shows, carousel, Boardwalk, and Central Park.

One bit of advice - many will recommend balcony, so that you have a place to nap while your son takes a nap. Our son was 3 on his first cruise and had outgrown naps, but he napped several times on the cruise. If your budget can handle it, I would step up to junior suite as it has balcony and tub, which may be much easier for bathing your son that then small showers - otherwise, the small blowup tub will be useful for the shower.

Good luck and have fun. Also, there are a number of reviews from people who have taken toddlers on RCI ships - look for them as they have lots of tips.

We went on Freedom (Liberty's sister ship) last Thanksgiving, and it was an amazing ship. I think Liberty has added water slides, but otherwise I think they are very similar.

There is a lot going on - between Dreamworks characters and parades, the ice show, the royal promenade, miniature golf, sports deck, Flowrider (your son is too young, but he might enjoy watching), and the nursery. Our son did not like the main dining room when he was smaller, so we ate at specialty restaurants and Windjammer (buffet). On Freedom, there are tables where you can look at ocean - at 3, our son loved sitting there watching the waves. Not sure if Liberty has On Air or not, but you can make video postcards there.

I would not hesitate to take Liberty with a young one. The only ships that might be better would be Oasis class, which has water shows, carousel, Boardwalk, and Central Park.

One bit of advice - many will recommend balcony, so that you have a place to nap while your son takes a nap. Our son was 3 on his first cruise and had outgrown naps, but he napped several times on the cruise. If your budget can handle it, I would step up to junior suite as it has balcony and tub, which may be much easier for bathing your son that then small showers - otherwise, the small blowup tub will be useful for the shower.

Good luck and have fun. Also, there are a number of reviews from people who have taken toddlers on RCI ships - look for them as they have lots of tips.

Thank you so much for the insight. It sounds perfect, although the oaks does too but maybe we can do that one the next time around? We're. Looking into the panoramic ocean view rooms. They say they sleep 6 so it sounds a little roomier than just inside room. The balcony rooms make me extremely nervous only be jade I have a climber, he climbs everything and I don't want to risk that. He also loves showers and would rather shower than take a bath so the tub situation doesn't bother me much.

Honduras is really good for a toddler, with a lot of nice animal experiences. In Costa Maya, there is a great Mayan experience in which your child can visit (and even climb some) Chacchoben Ruins. There is an excellent authentic Mayan lunch afterwards, and your child can help cook tortillas. The Mayan grandmothers were really good with children, and enjoyed helping my son cook.

https://www.thenativechoice.com/tours/mayan-experience-tour

The only downside of this tour is that the office is a fairly long walk if you are schlepping a child in the heat (it is an easy walk if everyone in your party is mobile and physically fit). There is a trolley to take people to the end of the pier (we missed this and couldn't wait with our impatient son) and the company running the tour recommends that travelers with mobility issues take a cab to their offices (we got unlucky and there were no cabs in port when we disembarked). The tour itself was outstanding, but I wanted to let you know so you can prepare your child that there might be a bit of a wait for a trolley or cab if you need to take transportation to the excursion.

Thank you so much for the insight. It sounds perfect, although the oaks does too but maybe we can do that one the next time around? We're. Looking into the panoramic ocean view rooms. They say they sleep 6 so it sounds a little roomier than just inside room. The balcony rooms make me extremely nervous only be jade I have a climber, he climbs everything and I don't want to risk that. He also loves showers and would rather shower than take a bath so the tub situation doesn't bother me much.

How many are in your party? If it is just three, they may not allow you to book a cabin that sleeps six.

Are you 100% determined to cruise Royal Caribbean? Carnival has 2 ships out of Texas that are much better than LOtS.

We just returned on Sunday and HATED it, our least favorite cruise ever(out of almost 20 on over 10 lines).

I'm finishing up my blog and then will post a review on the RC board.

However with that said, the children's programs were probably the best parts of the ship. We traveled with kids aged 1, 5, 8, and teens.

They do have for a fee childcare for under 3s that is quite good as well as a toy check out program that we found to be far superior to other ships.

The water park area has a section that is for kids in diapers, and they also provide life jackets for potty trained kids in the pool if needed.

The MDR and Windjammer(buffet) were very attentive to our young ones as well.

We did Playa Mia in Cozumel as we always do and it is perfect for little ones. tip: Bring a Puddle Jumper for the best enjoyment. We have always found better deals from scheduling through private vendors, but the ship excursions are alright too.

The one cruise we did to Honduras was on Carnival so we went to their private/port island which was wonderful for kids.

Never been to Costa Maya with kids, sorry can't help you there.

Please do not get a cabin for 6 with only 2 adults, save that for large groups or families with teens. They may not allow you to book it anyway.

Any standard sized cabin will do. As far as balcony climbing, don't worry about that. To the best of my knowledge there has never been a case of a child climbing over a balcony-it's pretty much impossible to do as they are glass and there are no footholds anyway.

Just do an ocean view if a balcony is out. We were in one of the new cabins on the 12th deck (1802) and it was more than enough for 2 adults and 1 child. Also it had a killer view!!!!

Any and all destinations are fine for kids...after all, kids do LIVE there! A guidebook will be very helpful in determining what things there are close by that might interest your family!

There is no way your child will climb off the ship! First, you will not allow a child on the balcony alone...and in ship cabins, you are never more than 2 steps away from anything!

Edited by cb at sea