Taxis generally available at Red Hook in the afternoons?

JasonV1

I realize this is probably a dumb question, and I likely know the answer, but I have to ask as I've never done the ferry on my own before.

Are there generally taxis available at Red Hook for returning ferry passengers? Or do you have to arrange something ahead of time, such as with the driver that took you there.

Thanks in advance.

I realize this is probably a dumb question, and I likely know the answer, but I have to ask as I've never done the ferry on my own before.

Are there generally taxis available at Red Hook for returning ferry passengers? Or do you have to arrange something ahead of time, such as with the driver that took you there.

Thanks in advance.

Take a shared shuttle from the arrival port to RH. You can ask the driver to bring you back at a stated time, or just board one of the many shuttles plying for biz as you get off the ferry.;)

Thanks, I assumed this was the case. I tried searching this question before posting but as good as I usually am with my searches I couldn't find a post where someone asked about this particular subject.

I figured since the ferry comes in on a regular schedule taxis would be available, especially while ships are in port.

Take a shared shuttle from the arrival port to RH. You can ask the driver to bring you back at a stated time, or just board one of the many shuttles plying for biz as you get off the ferry.;)

East End Taxi has the exclusive for pick up at the Red Hook ferry dock, and there are always taxi drivers waiting for the ferry. The advantage of using East End taxi is that most of their drivers use air conditioned vans instead of the open air taxis used by the ones at the Havensight and Crown Bay docks.

All taxi drivers are supposed to charge the same rate.

If you get back with extra time you can walk Red Hook as it's very compact and you'll see bars and stores right near the ferry terminal. Great place to enjoy evenings but not sure what's open during the day other than Senor Frog's. We like Island Time overlooking the marina for their excellent pizza.

Taxis are ubiquitous on St Thomas! As Ms 411 said, you can get a taxi from the taxi dispatcher at the ferry terminal. I believe Port Royal is also talking about taxis ("shared shuttle") but the $2 safaris are available if you walk out to the road.

blue- The new hot spot in Red Hook is Tap and Still, open for lunch and dinner. Beer on tap, great burgers. :D

Red Hook is boring to me. No character and if you're on a cruise ship, the lunch options in the restaurants are not much different than what's on the ship.

Time better spent at Paradise Point or Senor Frog's in Havensight. Senor Frogs Red Hook no party during day.

Ms411 you're starting to sound as cranky as our friend on TA! :p

But I understand your meaning, as I said there may not be alot open during the day and it's more a night spot. But if Island Time or Molly's are open you can have a great lunch or just cocktails overlooking the water. We enjoy going to Latitude 18 and Duffy's Love Shack when staying at Sapphire, very fun nights!

Another spot to stop on the return to port is Iggie's Beach Bar at Bolongo Bay, or a fav spot, Paradise Point.

And we tend to avoid Senir Frogs but it's a lively spot!

We're looking forward to the T & S next visit O2B, thanks!

Edited by blue_water

Because I express my opinion which does not agree with your recommendation, I'm cranky? I'm trying to spare cruisers the disappointment. Red Hook is THE place for visitors not on a cruise, but not much of interest to cruisers.

I happen to love Senor Frogs in Havensight for the music, dancing, competitions, service, etc. Every time I go everybody is having a great time.

Edited by Ms411

Because I express my opinion which does not agree with your recommendation, I'm cranky? I'm trying to spare cruisers the disappointment. Red Hook is THE place for visitors not on a cruise, but not much of interest to cruisers.

I happen to love Senor Frogs in Havensight for the music, dancing, competitions, service, etc. Every time I go everybody is having a great time.

Lol...Not at all! My only point to Jason was that if time allowed Red Hook is right there and there are some great late lunch spots and also a couple stores they might enjoy (again with time to spare). And there are taxis parked at Fish Tails as well.

If you read my post you'll see that I actually stated that RH is a great place to spend evenings and I'm not sure what is open during the day to enjoy. Your reply comparing RH options to a cruise ship was different though!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
We are not coming in on a ferry but will be on a private sail charter. Will we have no problem getting a taxi when we come in at 4pm?

No problem, and if no taxis tight there they park by Fish Tails Restaurant near the ferry terminal, just a short walk from the American Yacht Harbor.