Pinel Island

#1TravelMom.........Just curious, when is your family going on your cruise. I ask cause i am also thinking about Pinel Island....I am sailing the Glory May 23, 2009. From what I have read and info been suggested to me by others, taxe would be fastest way to Pinel Island. robert_barrington@att.net if you care to converse over the computer.

Rob

Edited by rob51
dash between robert barrington should have been underscore

We have done this on our own. We rented a car and drove over to the other side, caught the ferry to Pinel and then returned when we felt like it. It was great. We saw the people come and go from the cruise ship on a tour. Added note for mom with kids...expect nudity on this island.

Thanks for the note. I thought we'd avoid the nudity of Orient if we went to Pinel. We have a four year old and would definately rather go to a non-nude beach. We've been to St. Martin several times and I'd really like to see Pinel Island, but the potential nudity isn't an option for us.

• 5 months later...

#1TravelMom.....Hi, just wondering if and when you visited St Maarten this year. I just came across your request about Pinel Island and round my entry to your question, especially pertaining to nudity there. Would you mind telling me which beach on St Maarten you did visit and if there were many women topless there? I ask because I am cruising on the Carnival Glory departing Port Canaveral this saturday(Oct. 24, 2009). I will be with my friend and her 11 y/o son. Some topless women would be ok, but if you noticed many women topless, his mother may want to visit another beach.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Rob

#1TravelMom.....Hi, just wondering if and when you visited St Maarten this year. I just came across your request about Pinel Island and round my entry to your question, especially pertaining to nudity there. Would you mind telling me which beach on St Maarten you did visit and if there were many women topless there? I ask because I am cruising on the Carnival Glory departing Port Canaveral this saturday(Oct. 24, 2009). I will be with my friend and her 11 y/o son. Some topless women would be ok, but if you noticed many women topless, his mother may want to visit another beach.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Rob

Any beach on St. Maarten could have topless women. I have been to Pinel Island four times and those particular times there were not many topless women there. One, two, three. But there is no guarantee there will not be more just as there is no guarantee there will be any.

Thanks for the note. I thought we'd avoid the nudity of Orient if we went to Pinel. We have a four year old and would definately rather go to a non-nude beach. We've been to St. Martin several times and I'd really like to see Pinel Island, but the potential nudity isn't an option for us.

There is essentially zero chance of seeing nudity on Pinel unless you hike to the back side of the island and then there might be a chance. The main areas in which you and your kids would be simply does not have nudity. There is topless fairly often and I suppose you could have a streaker in the same way you could see one in Times Square. Pinel would be great for your family.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
There are 3 ways to go to Pinel:

-Taxi ($25 for 2 or $9 p/p) and then boat shuttle ($7p/p)

-Rent a car and then boat shuttle ($7 p/p)

-Wakawa snorkel tour includes bus and boat shuttle in price along with time to enjoy the beach after your snorkel tour. (adults $79, Kids $49)

Once you get to Pinel Island, is the beach right there, or do you need to take another taxi to get to the beach? We are in port on a day with 6 other ships and would love to find some place a little less crowded.

Last time in St. Thomas we went on our own over to St. Johns to Trunk Bay and loved having the freedom to come and go as we pleased.

The shuttle boat drops you right on the main beach. This is the only beach that has anything on it (chair rentals, restaurants, snorkel tours, gift shop). If you REALY want to get away you can then walk 10 mins over a gravel path to the back beach.

Thanks for the information. Which beach would have the better snorkeling?

Once you get to Pinel Island, is the beach right there, or do you need to take another taxi to get to the beach? <snip>

Pinel is quite small. From the beach where the ferry drops you to the farthest point on the island is about 600 yards.

th_pinel-1.jpg

(click)

The ferry ride from the piers on the left of the picture out to Pinel is about a half mile.

gary

A few months ago we stayed at St Martin for a few days. In addition to the transportation listed above there was a gentleman at Cul de Sac, immediately to the left of the ferry pier, that was renting two man Kayak, life jackets and snorkeling equipment for two for the day. I think it was $30, but I could be wrong.

That would be great for a group to rent and then two of them paddle over.

There are vendors in the parking lot as you approach the ferry; GREAT prices and friendly ladies!

2758046810064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

This is most likely the kayaks the other poster mentioned....right next to the ferry dock

2964834010064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

The ferry (boat) ride is about 5 minutes and you get out in front of a beach full of umbrellas. Each color is operated by someone different and they do charge for the use of them. We only saw three topless women; much less then we saw on previous trips to Orient Beach. The beach was not crowded at all. We walked to the other side of the island too.

2281612710064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

The beach on the other side was rocky, but beautiful, and there was not a soul in sight.

2371627750064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
...a gentleman at Cul de Sac, immediately to the left of the ferry pier, that was renting two man Kayak, life jackets and snorkeling equipment for two for the day. I think it was $30, but I could be wrong...

How far would it be across... how long might it take to kayak across... would one need to be concerned about strong currents (we have kayaked only in calm waters)... would it take longer going one way than the other due to currents????

We walked to the other side of the island too.

I read somewhere about there being a trail to walk across the island, is it hard to find, where is it???

... Any worries at all about a driver not being there when we need to be picked up to head back to the ship?

I am also curious about the return taxi... anyone???

/

How far would it be across... how long might it take to kayak across... would one need to be concerned about strong currents (we have kayaked only in calm waters)... would it take longer going one way than the other due to currents????

I read somewhere about there being a trail to walk across the island, is it hard to find, where is it???

I am also curious about the return taxi... anyone???

/

As far as the return taxi. I have been there a bunch of times. Told the taxi driver that took me what time to pick me up. Never was let down. They were either there or sent someone from their company to pick us up. They want your business. In any case you won't be stranded there as others come and go by taxi all day to Cul de Sac.

The trail is not hard to find. The island is small.

Can't help you on the Kayak question. I took the ferry. The water appears quite calm but I have not paddled it.

As far as the return taxi. I have been there a bunch of times. Told the taxi driver that took me what time to pick me up. Never was let down. They were either there or sent someone from their company to pick us up. They want your business. In any case you won't be stranded there as others come and go by taxi all day to Cul de Sac.

The trail is not hard to find. The island is small.

Can't help you on the Kayak question. I took the ferry. The water appears quite calm but I have not paddled it.

Thanks for the reply...

...still waiting to hear from someone regarding the kayaking... anyone?

The distance is relatively short and it appears to be doable even for first timers provided the water is calm, as it usually is. The kayaks are just a few feet from the pier where you catch the "ferry" so you can decide which you want on the spot.

We decided that the next trip a couple of us would rent the kayak and the rest would take the ferry. The kayak would then be available for the whole group on the island. Also might be able to access another very small island that is nearby.

The distance is relatively short and it appears to be doable even for first timers provided the water is calm, as it usually is. The kayaks are just a few feet from the pier where you catch the "ferry" so you can decide which you want on the spot.

We decided that the next trip a couple of us would rent the kayak and the rest would take the ferry. The kayak would then be available for the whole group on the island. Also might be able to access another very small island that is nearby.

Thanks for the response...

I had never read about any nearby island(s)... do you know if it would have a sandy beach... we would love to get off onto a secluded beach/island somewhere... perhaps just the two of us...:D :eek: :) ;) !

Thanks for the response...

I had never read about any nearby island(s)... do you know if it would have a sandy beach... we would love to get off onto a secluded beach/island somewhere... perhaps just the two of us...:D :eek: :) ;) !

TBN Hubby here...

No beaches that I saw. Very small, rather rocky, and with steep slopes, but it looked like it might have some interesting snorkeling and would be easily assessable with the kayak. There are some very secluded beaches on the 'other side' of Pinel Island. Just follow the path across the top of the hill. They are small and the water is usually a lot rougher since that is the windward side.

Another option (although not associated with Pinel Island) is Green Kay. That is an island just off the main beach at Orient Beach. It appears to me to be similar in size to Pinel Island but there is no development on it at all. It is roughly in front of Pedro's or Cheryl and Andy's (formally Baywatch) and is an easy paddle if the winds are reasonable. Also, you can get there on a 'personal water craft' if you want to rent one of those. Actually, we became aquanted with a German fellow (when we stayed a week) that swam out to it several times, but I would not recommend that. Good snorkeling on the end toward Pinel Island (Rays, some fish, a Moray eel, occasionally a turtle I was told but didn't see one)

There is a small beach on the mainland (protected) side of that island that usually does not have anyone on it. While that beach is visible from Orient Beach, it is far enough away that you can only see movement but not details of people without using binocs. The rocks on this island are very sharp but, if you have shoes with durable soles, you can also hike across the top to the other side were there are several beaches. Access is by using a rather steep path that is just to the south of the beach. You will have to go into the water and around a couple of large rocks to see the path. Both the back and top of the island are interesting. The beach is very secluded with a wrecked sailboat and lots of conch shells that have been harvested. Again that is the windy side and the water is usually very rough but, other than the occasional kite boarder it is normally deserted.

BTW, Green Kay may have some folks from Club Orient so if nudity offends, you will likely be offended.

Hope this helps

Guest Indigogarden

We were on Pinel a few weeks ago. Had planned to kayak but it was very windy that day and even though we have some kayak experience--it was ill advised as these aren't true ocean kayaks---they are the tropical sit on tops. I'd suggest you see what you are facing on the day you arrive-- Also, part of the crossing to Pinel is a bit sheltered by another small island, but the day we were there a strong wind was making the last part of the commute a challenge--in our opinion. That's why we took the ferry........On a calm day it would be fun to do!

TBN Hubby here...

No beaches that I saw. Very small, rather rocky, and with steep slopes... would be easily assessable with the kayak. There are some very secluded beaches...

Another option (although not associated with Pinel Island) is Green Kay. ...just off the main beach at Orient Beach. It appears to me to be... an easy paddle if the winds are reasonable. Also, you can get there on a 'personal water craft' ... There is a small beach on the mainland (protected) side of that island that usually does not have anyone on it... The beach is very secluded with a wrecked sailboat and lots of conch shells that have been harvested... that is the windy side and the water is usually very rough ... Hope this helps

We were on Pinel a few weeks ago. Had planned to kayak but it was very windy that day and even though we have some kayak experience--it was ill advised as these aren't true ocean kayaks---they are the tropical sit on tops. I'd suggest you see what you are facing on the day you arrive-- Also, part of the crossing to Pinel is a bit sheltered by another small island, but the day we were there a strong wind was making the last part of the commute a challenge--in our opinion. That's why we took the ferry........On a calm day it would be fun to do!

Thanks, we will take all this under advisement.