Maho or Orient Beach

jewel825

My family is traveling on the Freedom of the Seas in April and one of our stops is St. Martin. Our family includes my hubby and I (mid 40s) my 2 daughters (11 and 13) and my parents (70s and able bodied to walk and do things). What beach is the best choice for our group? Do any of them have any water activities? Can you take a quick taxi ride to either one of them? Or do you need to plan? We went to this port a couple of years ago and just stayed in the shopping area. This time we want to branch out and hit the beach but aren't sure which one. Help! :)

My family is traveling on the Freedom of the Seas in April and one of our stops is St. Martin. Our family includes my hubby and I (mid 40s) my 2 daughters (11 and 13) and my parents (70s and able bodied to walk and do things). What beach is the best choice for our group? Do any of them have any water activities? Can you take a quick taxi ride to either one of them? Or do you need to plan? We went to this port a couple of years ago and just stayed in the shopping area. This time we want to branch out and hit the beach but aren't sure which one. Help! :)

If water activities are a must then between your choices of Maho or Orient you would need to pick Orient. There is a water trampoline, boogie board, para sailing, jet skiing and kayaks available to rent at Orient and there are no water activities available at Maho. Both of these beaches are easily reached via taxi. You are likely to see more topplessness at Orient as it is on the French side of the island. Thought that i would mention this in case it is an issue.

Maho is my favorite, but I love the planes. Sounds like Orient would be better for you. We have done both. We went to Maho first then took a taxi to Orient. If we did both again, we would go to Orient first then Maho since the bigger planes are in the afternoon. Neither is a quick taxi ride since traffic is horrible on that island.

If water activities are a must then between your choices of Maho or Orient you would need to pick Orient. There is a water trampoline, boogie board, para sailing, jet skiing and kayaks available to rent at Orient and there are no water activities available at Maho. Both of these beaches are easily reached via taxi. You are likely to see more topplessness at Orient as it is on the French side of the island. Thought that i would mention this in case it is an issue.

Thanks for the reply. I think the water activities would be fun - never been on a water trampoline! Do they charge to rent lounge chairs here? Or do they charge a flat fee to enter the beach? Do you know what the cost is for anything there?

Maho is my favorite, but I love the planes. Sounds like Orient would be better for you. We have done both. We went to Maho first then took a taxi to Orient. If we did both again, we would go to Orient first then Maho since the bigger planes are in the afternoon. Neither is a quick taxi ride since traffic is horrible on that island.

I think it would be fun to see the planes! I work in aerospace so it's interesting to me. I just don't want the rest of the group to be bored if there's nothing to do there for water activities. Do they charge anything to be on this beach?

Thanks for the reply. I think the water activities would be fun - never been on a water trampoline! Do they charge to rent lounge chairs here? Or do they charge a flat fee to enter the beach? Do you know what the cost is for anything there?

I think it would be fun to see the planes! I work in aerospace so it's interesting to me. I just don't want the rest of the group to be bored if there's nothing to do there for water activities. Do they charge anything to be on this beach?

There are no fees to use the beaches in both St. Maarten (Dutch side) and St. Martin (French side) that I am aware of. Both Orient Beach and Maho are free to use those beaches.

If your in aerospace, Maho Beach is a place you should really stop by for a visit, there is nothing like it in the world because of it's unique location, right at the end of the Princess Juliana Airport runway. Crowds gather at this beach, try not stand anywhere under the flight path as the jet blast will blow everything in it's way into the sea. There are plenty of youtube videos at Maho of planes landing and taking off that you can view. It's just an unbelievable experience to witness, a must see and it's free. We never get tired of going to Maho Beach each and every time we are in St. Maarten.

As far as cost for chairs and umbrellas, Maho Beach charges $20 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. On Orient Beach, the cost varies as there are many places to rent chairs and an umbrella, once we paid $10 for 2 chairs and an umbrella and another time on Orient, we paid $15 or 2 chairs and an umbrella at a different location. You can just walk along the beach and ask the prices. There are also many beach bar there too where you can have drinks and lunch on Orient Beach. Maho Beach also has the Sunset Bar and Grill for food and drinks.

You can spend a few hours at Orient Beach and try to convince your friends to compromise and spend another hour at Maho, you and they won't regret it. There are plenty of taxis at Orient Beach to take you to Maho and plenty of taxis at Maho to take you back to the pier.

Whatever you plan to do, enjoy your day in St. Maarten/St. Martin!

Google--------youtube maho beach

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Hopefully others can help you with recent pricing. I was there last in July but we only walked the beach, had a drink and visited a couple of shops.

All beaches in St. Maarten are public and free to visit but some are difficult to access via land. Orient and Maho are very easy to access.

There are no fees to use the beaches in both St. Maarten (Dutch side) and St. Martin (French side) that I am aware of. Both Orient Beach and Maho are free to use those beaches.

If your in aerospace, Maho Beach is a place you should really stop by for a visit, there is nothing like it in the world because of it's unique location, right at the end of the Princess Juliana Airport runway. Crowds gather at this beach, try not stand anywhere under the flight path as the jet blast will blow everything in it's way into the sea. There are plenty of youtube videos at Maho of planes landing and taking off that you can view. It's just an unbelievable experience to witness, a must see and it's free. We never get tired of going to Maho Beach each and every time we are in St. Maarten.

As far as cost for chairs and umbrellas, Maho Beach charges $20 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. On Orient Beach, the cost varies as there are many places to rent chairs and an umbrella, once we paid $10 for 2 chairs and an umbrella and another time on Orient, we paid $15 or 2 chairs and an umbrella at a different location. You can just walk along the beach and ask the prices. There are also many beach bar there too where you can have drinks and lunch on Orient Beach. Maho Beach also has the Sunset Bar and Grill for food and drinks.

You can spend a few hours at Orient Beach and try to convince your friends to compromise and spend another hour at Maho, you and they won't regret it. There are plenty of taxis at Orient Beach to take you to Maho and plenty of taxis at Maho to take you back to the pier.

Whatever you plan to do, enjoy your day in St. Maarten/St. Martin!

Google--------youtube maho beach

They both sound awesome but for different reasons! We will have to take a vote and figure out which one to do. My vote is to see the planes! :)

Maho Beach is very narrow and it drops off pretty quickly. The only reason to go there is to see the planes, Orient has far more food options, and plenty of beach options, lounges, umbrellas, kayaks, water toys, etc. - none of which are available at Maho.

I have a feeling it's going to be a 5-1 vote. 5 for Orient and 1 for Maho (me!).

Hopefully others can help you with recent pricing. I was there last in July but we only walked the beach, had a drink and visited a couple of shops.

All beaches in St. Maarten are public and free to visit but some are difficult to access via land. Orient and Maho are very easy to access.

From what I gather, it's kind of nickel and dime kind of pricing structure which is not bad. Looking at the excursions for beach days from the cruise line, it's a lot more money! It makes much more sense to take a taxi and go on our own. Love these forums because everyone is so knowledgable on pricing and how to get the best deal. I love it!

Not sure if you are aware but with the ages of your daughters, thought you might be warned, a portion of Orient Beach is a nude beach and when we were there last year, we walked down to where all the action is and saw fully nude men...I would

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if you are aware but with the ages of your daughters, thought you might be warned, a portion of Orient Beach is a nude beach and when we were there last year, we walked down to where all the action is and saw fully nude men...I would

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yikes! I don't want to be exposed to that! lol