Question for those who have been on NCL Epic, Breakaway or Gateaway.

cruiseelady

I am interested in answers from experience please. So I wanted to go on one of those three ships, but I don't want to book a studio cabin. So my question is would they let singles/solo cruisers use their studio lounge those who are not staying in the studio cabins? I know they have daily get togethers at 5PM I believe in studio lounge, I would love to go, but I have no idea if they would let me since I would not be staying in the studio cabin. So if you have been in this situation, I would love to know your experience.

I'll be able to answer your question in a couple weeks. I'm headed out on Getaway next week and I'll see what I can find out. I'm going solo, in a minisuite, so same situation as you are contemplating.

Perfect, I really appreciate it.

Based on my recent trip on the Epic.

Think you might not be able to use the lounge except during the get together.

The door to the studio is locked and needs key card to open it, even during the get together, you have to bang on the door and get someone inside to open it!

If every solo cruiser used the lounge (including those in non studio cabins) then the place would not be big enough to hold everyone.

It's always worth asking when on board though as they might allow access but just not publicise it.:)

I was on the Breakaway in March. I was not in a studio cabin. There was absolutely no indication on the cruise that passengers not in studio cabins were welcome in the studio lounge at any time. And no one said that all we had to do was bang on the door during the get-together, and someone would let us in.

If it is true that people who aren't in the studio cabins are welcome to attend the get-together, then NCL should say something about it in the cruise newsletter. And it shouldn't be necessary to bang on the door to get admittance if those people were truly welcome.

I have been Solo on the Epic twice. I have never seen the Studio Lounge area crowded. I would, as others have said, just bang on the door. Everyone who has entered the Lounge is there to interact and meet other singles. They will gladly let you in and welcome you with open arms. You will not be thrown out or treated with ill-will unless, of course, you were to offend someone or act in a crude manner. As for NCL staff, they are in the Lounge area to facilitate fellow passengers in making group arrangements. I am sure their attitude is, the more the merrier. Have Fun, you will enjoy your trip.

I upgraded to a balcony from a studio and lost access during the day to the studio lounge but was able to get in (Breakaway) for the solo gathering.

My room was close to a back door so sometimes a crew member would swipe open the door for me,

You are probably only going to want to go to the lounge before dinner to meet dinner mates. It's no problem then, but a little bit of a hassle at other times, based on 3 Epic and 1 Getaway cruise(s)....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am trying a studio on Epic for the first time in October. It was my understanding that only those accommodated in the studios could use the lounge. If there are other solos on board in double cabins, I can't see why they shouldn't come in.

I have been on both the Epic and the Breakaway. They usually prop doors open for the nightly get togethers. On the Epic, it was just a glass door and people could easily see you. And once you knew other solos - they usually let you in if the doors were still locked. On the Breakaway - I often found the doors propped open - and not just during the nightly get togethers. I am heading out on the Breakaway again this weekend and will let you know if it changed.

Have fun :)

On Breakaway there are two doors to the lounge. One is from the "general" hallway (no access restrictions) and it's the one that was propped open for the daily gathering. The other door is inside the "studio hallway", which is a secured area for studio guests.

As I recall the daily gatherings were promoted in the daily newsletters and are open to all solo travelers. You can always confirm with Guest Services, if needed.

It's a great way to meet dinner companions, and Jovan (the coordinator) arranged for a group of us to attend Jungle Fantasy together, made dinner reservations, etc.

Liz

I am glad all of you found out about the access to the studio lounge, because I never did! :)

I was intending to go to the first night's solo meetup in the Sunset Bar but when I got there, there did not seem to be anything happening so I left. And then the rest of the cruise I never seemed to think about it at the right time. NEXT cruise I will go for sure though!

The Getaway was great even though I basically kept to myself the entire cruise. I bought a spa pass and spent my time eating, sleeping, reading, and relaxing in the spa. Never even got off the ship in any of the ports. The only bad thing was looking at the scale when I got home!

I am interested in answers from experience please. So I wanted to go on one of those three ships, but I don't want to book a studio cabin. So my question is would they let singles/solo cruisers use their studio lounge those who are not staying in the studio cabins?

I was in a Studio on Epic a few years ago. They leave the door to the Studio Lounge open every evening during the reception time, but at other times you need to be in a Studio in order to get into the lounge. So you can go there but only during the reception -- which is the time when you'll find the most people in there, anyway.

I really liked the (free) coffee machine in the Studio Lounge, especially because I could get a mug of hot foamy milk anytime I wanted. But I really missed having my own balcony so I don't think I'll do a Studio again.

I just got off the Breakaway yesterday. I met two other solo travelers who were in other cabins. They were both given an extra key card that gave them access to the studio hall ways. Although, they were not always locked.

OMG, really? I'm sailing on Breakaway in 3 weeks. Did they mention how they obtained those?

I have sailed on both the Epic and Breakaway. On both ships the door to the studio complex was propped open during the nightly solo gathering so that any solo from the ship could join.

That is what I heard when I asked the NCL rep when I booked my Breakaway cruise for Dec. 14th. He said that the Lounge is for Studio guests at all other times.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been on both the Epic and the Breakaway. They usually prop doors open for the nightly get togethers. On the Epic, it was just a glass door and people could easily see you. And once you knew other solos - they usually let you in if the doors were still locked. On the Breakaway - I often found the doors propped open - and not just during the nightly get togethers. I am heading out on the Breakaway again this weekend and will let you know if it changed.

Have fun :)

I'm so glad I found this thread, and I'll be bookmarking it. I'm traveling with family on the Epic in December, but I'll have my own cabin, just not a studio one. My travel agent had said she thought I could still get studio lounge access since technically I'm solo -- so all of your information has been VERY helpful. I'll definitely be at the singles mingle the first night so I can get to know people, and I'll keep the other ideas in mind should I decide to return just to get away from the "hustle and bustle". (The coffee machine sounds great). Now when I go onboard the Escape next year, I will be in a studio cabin, so I'll know my access is definite.

If anyone else who has been on the Epic in recent weeks has anymore information or advice, I hope you'll post it here. Thanks!

I just got off the Breakaway yesterday. I met two other solo travelers who were in other cabins. They were both given an extra key card that gave them access to the studio hall ways. Although, they were not always locked.

Good to hear- last year when I upgraded they gave me static but maybe enough people mentioned it that they started giving the extra cards.

I personally like the idea of having the Studio Lounge open to all who wish to be there. However, when I booked my studio cabin on the Breakaway, I could have booked an Inside cabin with the single supplement for almost the same price. The NCL agent explained that the cost of the studio reflected the additional "amenities" of the studio lounge. I think that since all solo/single passengers can access the lounge that NCL should offer the studios at a price that reflects the size of the room instead. Otherwise why get the studio if a much larger cabin (and the lounge) can be had for the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I personally like the idea of having the Studio Lounge open to all who wish to be there. However, when I booked my studio cabin on the Breakaway, I could have booked an Inside cabin with the single supplement for almost the same price. The NCL agent explained that the cost of the studio reflected the additional "amenities" of the studio lounge. I think that since all solo/single passengers can access the lounge that NCL should offer the studios at a price that reflects the size of the room instead. Otherwise why get the studio if a much larger cabin (and the lounge) can be had for the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having spent 2 weeks in a Breakaway studio, and having 2 more cruises booked in the same cabin, I totally agree with you. If solo cruisers want to attend the nightly meeting, fine. If not, they should not be allowed to enter the Lounge whenever they feel like it. That's not the way it was marketed and I'll be contacting NCL for clarification and to voice my concerns.