Comfort Inn Edgewater

sgk2000

We are driving from Michigan to cruise on Liberty, 9/10/15. We will arrive late on 9/8/15 and want to use public transportation on 9/9 to visit World Trade Center and 911 Memorial. Looking at the Comfort Inn on River Rd in Edgewater. Is this a good choice?

The prices look unusually good. What are you paying?

Public transit to downtown Manhattan will be time consuming. It would probably be a combination of:

1) bus and subway

2) driving/taxi, light rail, and PATH

3) driving/taxi, ferry

If you drive anywhere, you will have to pay to park your car. My scenarios are envisioning the parking to be at Port Imperial. The ferry from Port Imperial to World financial Center is $13. Parking is also about $13. Light rail to Hoboken is $2.10 and PATH is $2.75. It looks like bus is $4.25 and subway is $2.75.

Perhaps we can get some advice from the folks who live in that area. My experience is not recent, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Haven't booked yet. Saw $204.93 total price for two night on Choice Hotel site this morning. Tonight it is listed as $308.43 for King/2 nights. We stayed at the Sheraton Meadowland in Secaucus a few years back. Took their shuttle to Secaucus Junction and took train to New York. I know Sheraton is now the Hilton and reviews are not that good. We don't want to drive to New York because of traffic, tolls and parking. Will be getting to New Jersey late on 9/8 and spending day in New York on the 9th so we will not be spending much time at hotel. Trying to find a decent hotel at a reasonable cost. Looking at Hampton Inn Carlstadt Meadowland. States they have NJ Bus transit stop across the street.

Thanks for you input.

I'm seeing a queen bed on their web site for $99 plus tax. That's a really good weekday price. You've been in the general area before, so you've experienced the public transit and have looked at hotel prices. Call the hotel to find out how close the bus stop is on River Road. For one day you can survive taking the bus to Port Authority and the E subway down to the World Trade Center.

My inlaws used to live at River Road and Blvd East in West New York. When I went there after work in downtown NY, it used to take me about an hour. Not my cup of tea on a regular basis, but certainly OK for one day.

I'm seeing a queen bed on their web site for $99 plus tax. That's a really good weekday price. You've been in the general area before, so you've experienced the public transit and have looked at hotel prices. Call the hotel to find out how close the bus stop is on River Road. For one day you can survive taking the bus to Port Authority and the E subway down to the World Trade Center.

My inlaws used to live at River Road and Blvd East in West New York. When I went there after work in downtown NY, it used to take me about an hour. Not my cup of tea on a regular basis, but certainly OK for one day.

Its on River road next to the Trader Joe's. there is a Ferry from Edgewater that only runs during rush hour.

Called the hotel. Bus stop is right across the street from hotel. Bus runs every 30 mins and drops you off in Tmes Square then subway to World Trade Center. Hotel has a shuttle that operates 9-5 on week days and 9-4 on weekends that would take us to ferry. Booked hotel. Queen for $99 was smoking room so we opted for King, nonsmoking $126.95/night. Total cost with tax $291.30. Like you said we can deal with taking bus and subway for one day.

Please do a review when you get back. The hotel is priced right and it's located on the Hudson and should have views of NYC from the property if not the room. If you've never done it before, it's a nice ride along the river to the Lincoln Tunnel. This hotel could be a reasonable option for other cruisers. We hate recommending the North Bergen hotels because of the surrounding area and location on the Route 1 truck route.

If you think of it, ask if they offer a park/cruise option. Folks cruising from Manhattan are paying $280 for the week - that woud definitely cover a car service to the pier from Edgewater.

We're just in that area 2 weeks ago, shortly after we came back from another cruise & had to be out at EWR airport. River Road has really developed in the past 5 years, actually - I would say 2 or 3 years - post Sandy recovery as many roads were flooded out from what I knew.

CI is in a fine location, many shops & stores along the strip malls, all new to this area over the past 10 years as they continue to grow. Tons of traffic on weekends & even weekdays at rush hour, so be patience & allow a little extra time if driving - thumbs up for taking the bus & shuttle, let the pro drivers deal with the traffic lights. It's very busy & very safe and you have excellent views of the Manhattan skyline, looking across the Hudson toward Riverside Drive / West Side Hwy & Upper Manhattan (roughly Columbia U's) - especially at sunrise.

Just a bit of tourist info as FYI - about 3 blocks south of the CI (walk or drive, free parking) is the Mitsuwa Shopping Center, we always stop by when in the area for a Japanese meal at the famous food court, super busy & great prices - nothing on the ships compared to the prices & quality of the "Bento" boxes & noodles inside the mini-mall with the restaurants. The parking lot is small & busy but to go there once & experience it - you will not want to dine on the ship's sushi place once you do this on land. It's been there for 30, I think 35+ years & used to known as the Yaohan (Japanese) Plaza & so we've been there since ... OMG.

With all that traffic these days, it's probably about 10 or 15 minutes to the ferry terminal & then a quick ride across, sure beat driving to the Lincoln Tunnel & deal with the traffic & $15 one-way toll (less with electronic toll known as EZ-Pass for out-of-towners)

Go to Google Map or Earth, put in the address & switch to Street View, zoom & you will get an idea of what the area is like these days. These pictures help fill the stories ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Food%20%26%20Dining/IMG150411_1900.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Food%20%26%20Dining/IMG150411_1841.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Food%20%26%20Dining/IMG150411_1903.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Food%20%26%20Dining/IMG150411_1859.jpg

Thank you for the great information. We will definitely try that restaurant the night we arrive in Edgewater...looks delicious! Feeling good about our decision to stay there.

138 East, I will write a review of our stay when we return. Thank you for the good advice.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the great info! We are booked at the CI Edgewater also for a NCL BA cruise. We'll definitely be visiting the Mitsuwa Marketplace for dinner! We usually travel with 1 beach bag/back pack & 1 carry on size luggage each. If we decide to take the bus to the port authority Sunday will they allow luggage? If not, we can take the Port Imperial Ferry I believe. Thanks!