Am I just OLD?

KPfromCT

I don't stay up just to be staying up! If there is something fun going on, we'll do it. If not, and I'm tired...then it's early to bed! There is no right or wrong way!

There is something to be said for keeping a schedule....if your body tells you it's time for bed, hit the sheets!!

I'm a night owl and while I no longer stay out until 3 am, I often am awake until 1. I try to go to bed at midnight. I have a job where I sometimes have to work late hours and I rarely have to be in early, so it works for me. My immediate family are all night owls, so I doubt this is going to change even as I get older.

I find I usually go back to my cabin on cruises around 11, I'm not that interested in the 'night life' they have on board and then I'm up for another hour or so watching TV or reading. I force myself to get up earlier than usual on a cruise so that I won't miss out on things. But even then we are talking 7 am versus my usual 8 am.

I enjoy Europe because the eating schedule is much closer to what I keep than when I visit family in the midwest. Eating dinner at 5:30 is just bizarre to me. Because it's a whole 7 hours before I'll go to bed and I usually get hungry again. Typically I eat breakfast around 10, lunch at 2 and dinner at 8 or 9.

Ironically, I stay up much later in my regular life.

Normally I'm up at 6:30AM, go to bed between 11:30P-12:30A.

On vacation we are usually in bed by 10-11P. On our upcoming cruise I hear there's not much nightlife, and I thought, "fine - I'll be asleep by 11 anyway!" :D

Not old at all...age has nothing to do with it. Years ago I brought my 3 kids (ages teen through post-college age) on a 4 day from LA to Mexico. I fully expected they'd be out at the disco, partying, etc. Nope. We ALL ate dinner and then crashed upon returning to the stateroom. The full tummies? The fresh salt air? The rocking of the ship? Don't know, but it was a bit bizarre, I thought. We did have fun, though...during the day.

Wow, glad to hear how others handle sleep needs on cruises. I have discovered "power naps". Especially on port-intensive cruises in Europe, I have to have a power nap when we get back on board. That means undressing, get in bed and really sleep for an hour. Then, up and dress for dinner (we always do late dining). I'm good until mid nite. Then up again at 6-7 for the next port/tours. Without the nap, I'd turn into a zombie!

Margee

What is the average time you go to bed at night, on your cruise?

I am WIPED out by 9-10:eek::eek:

My normal job, I am up at 5am, everyday, and in bed between 9-10.

I cannot nap while on a cruise. Not sure why. I don't nap at home either.

I am 43 (until June):o

Does this sound normal?

We are about the same age and I too am wiped out by 9-10 each day. I feel better after reading this thread - I used to think it was just me!!!

The DH and I have different sleep patterns...He's always up early and I could sleep until noon. He goes to bed earlier than me most nights and I stay up until 1 - 2 am. I think that comes from all the years of going to out when I was younger. In Miami, clubs are open (or they were) until 1 - 2 am as I remember. We used to go dancing and then out to breakfast. Go home to shower and then head to work. Come home, have dinner, sleep, get ready to go out at about 11 p and start all over again. So yeah, I'm a night owl.

However, on vacation, the DH will get up early and I will sleep only until about 8-9a and we both stay up late...until about 1 - 2 am. We're in our 60s!:D

What is the average time you go to bed at night, on your cruise?

I am WIPED out by 9-10:eek::eek:

My normal job, I am up at 5am, everyday, and in bed between 9-10.

I cannot nap while on a cruise. Not sure why. I don't nap at home either.

I am 43 (until June):o

Does this sound normal?

For us 10:30 or 11:00.

We are both 30. We work healthcare so we are up by 6am on work days, in bed by 11pm on work nights. On the cruise we usually have a couple nights where we stay up late til 1 or 2 if there is something fun going on at the nightclub. Otherwise we usually find ourselves wiped out from the sun and fun during the day, and we don't mind hitting the sack early so we can get up and start the next day early.

My husband and I are both 70 and cruise-a-hoilics. We've been on 4 cruises, different lines, so far this year. My husband is up at 5 every morning at home, asleep in his recliner after dinner sometimes by 8. We usually go to bed around 9. But, on a cruise it is so different! WE don't get up until 8:30- 9 o'clock, breakfast sometimes as late as 10. We eat 2nd seating so he usually takes a nap and we get ready for dinner at 6:15 or so. Then we have a drink before dinner somewhere where there is music. We like to dance (ballroom kind) so will try to find this after dinner. Its always around 9:45-10 when we leave the dinning room. Or we go to the show, then dance.

WE are usually in bed by or before midnight on a cruise. Last year we had fun with a couple after the music stopped and didn't get back to our cabin until 2am!

What time do you eat? We ate 1st seating a while back and hated it. Had to start a nap earlier, had to rush to get ready for dinner after coming back on ship from ports. There was too much time after dinner so we did make the night end earlier. I don't care what time you eat at home, sometimes I go to the buffet when they open and get cheese and crackers to have before dinner, you should never be hungry on a ship!