Trip review - Australia to Fiji - 12 day cruise August 2014

dontdiwundrin

It will come as no surprise to the regular guests on the PG that the crew are the stand-out stars of this ship!

I am pleased to tell those of you who are eagerly awaiting the Repeaters Cruise on Sept 10th that the condition of the ship, the friendliness of the crew, the superb food and all the familiar things you like about the PG are still firmly in evidence.:D

In speaking to many crew members, they are also looking forward to greeting old friends and this slightly different itinerary in French Polynesia.

Talking of itineraries, ....this is where I want to briefly summarise this trip. The ship went from Papeete to Fiji, then to Australia in June, on to Singapore for some maintenance work,- then retraced her steps leaving Singapore on August 4th. I understand from some who were on this sailing there were many more sea days that some realised, a couple of those days were pretty rough seas.

We boarded the ship in Cairns, Australia on Monday August 18th and then set sail for Port Moresby, (Papua New Guinea), Samarai island, Kieta, Solomon Islands , Vanuatu and Fiji.

We chose this itinerary because of the remoteness of the destinations to be visited, and discovered later that in one particular case (Kieta, Bouganville) the Paul Gauguin was the only cruise ship to have been there within the past 30 years.

I think more emphasis should have been placed on the "adventure or expedition" type cruise itinerary by PG marketing - or maybe the responsibility is with some travel agents - as it was obvious in speaking with several guests they were unprepared for the remote locations and the lack of infrastructure and organisational skills necessary for excursions.

Incidentally, some thought it was going to be just like the PG Tahiti cruises, where the locations, services and tour options are well-known .More of this later.

Thanks Tess. Awaiting your next instalment.

Typing and trying to remember all the info' all morning as we speak, Miriam!!:) Thought I'd type a word document and then upload that and photos if I can.

I had a problem accidentally deleting paragraphs as I typed directly in CC once before!!

Tess

Day 1. Cairns, embarkation.

Having arrived the night before and stayed at a waterfront Hotel we did some sight-seeing around Cairns during the day and arrived at the ship about 4pm.

There was quite a queue waiting in the warm sunshine, some looking a little jaded (I discovered later that some had flown in that morning from overseas and were unhappy there was no refreshments offered until later).

Unlike when we boarded the ship in Papeete on our previous cruise 2 years ago, outside the Cairns cruise terminal (not the prettiest building!) there was no welcoming music, cool towels etc. This possibly related to the crew not being allowed outside the terminal building and dockside without visas.

It was just a line of waiting people, some said it was a disappointing start. Again Cairns is not a regular port for cruise ships and both Australian Customs, Immigration and Agricultural controls were in place. Unlike Papeete where Customs and Immigration takes place at the airport. Once the formalities were over we were offered fresh fruit and photographed then climbed the stairs to the ship. Once aboard – off to the Grand Salon for registration, photograph (the identity photo is embedded in the magnetic strip of your key card for easy identification when getting on and off the ship). A glass of bubbly and off the cabin – easy to find, as we had been there before.

Afternoon Tea was being served in la Veranda (my favourite venue for meals). My husband and I were surprised and delighted to be greeted by name by several of the crew who seemingly recognised us from last time. I am sure they have a system – but I was flattered anyway! Endless smiles and polite greetings from every Officer, staff and crew member we encountered throughout the entire voyage– that is a hallmark of this cruise line.

Lifeboat Drill was at 5.30pm after which we went the Welcome Aboard party on the Pool Deck as we sailed away from Cairns as the sun set…. It was a pleasant, balmy evening with cocktail of the day (Malolo Sunrise) in hand we bade farewell to Australia and looked forward to our first port of call.

This was about 36hours sailing time away – Port Moresby, the capital of Papua New Guinea. During the cruise there was an insightful lecture by Mick Fogg. (More on lectures later in the review)

The band on board was Santa Rosa, personally I thought their music lacked the interpretative skills of Siglo (the previous band) and their music although acceptable was monotone and loud, and the female singer often sang out of key.

We had dinner in L’ Etoile – the main dining room, - open seating, we decided to be seated with anyone – a table for 8 or 10 would be fine. Good to meet and chat with fellow travellers. Dinner was good, wait service attentive, and we would dine in this restaurant several more times during the voyage. Sometimes at a table for 2 or 4 or a larger group depending on our mood.

The maître d’hôtel Luis was delightful, well-organised and made us feel special.

Day 2, en-route to Port Moresby.

Early morning coffee at la Palette watching the sun rise and the sun sparkling on the ocean. Breakfast at Le Grill this morning, my first lamb chops, potatoes, - anything you want really!!

Lunch at La Veranda, a French Buffet was offered, - great food.

An enrichment lecture in the afternoon with information on Papua New Guinea was fascinating. There were many activities available during the day. Afternoon Tea at Le Grill at 4pm –just in case we hadn’t eaten enough already! Off to the internet café to look at emails and cruise critic (!) just in case some-one had written back.

There was a detailed description of the historical information of PNG’s culture on the front page of Ia Orana (the daily program). This was appreciated but would be more useful if there was also a description of the current situation in Port Moresby - (and all the ports we visited).

There were many guests who were completely unaware, maybe did not read anything prior to coming on the trip, and may not have even attended port talks. Although most considered these talks to be just a way of encouraging people to go on ships excursions. – Again, many considered the excursions over-priced and lacking value.

We decided not to go on any excursions at this port. Those that did opinions varied from “average “to awful, waste of money, “why did they drive us through slums with graffiti” – well, that’s probably because that’s what was there! The full day tour was $219USD.

I already knew from research that there probably wasn’t much I wanted to see. The only part of PNG I’d like to see is the Highlands, and that’s another pretty difficult place to get to. Apparently some said there were promised a visit by the Mud Men (tribe) in Port Moresby but this did not eventuate. From what I have read it is difficult to get tour guides, transport and things to arrive on time in this PNG, so difficulties with tours was not a surprise.

I got a response on cruise critic from the Captain of Pacific Link – a ship that was in Port Moresby harbour – just along the dock - at the same time as us. He commented that it was good to see the PG and had seen some of our guests in town. His ship takes doctors, dentists and nurses to remote provinces of PNG where there are no roads, electricity, cell phones or medical care. The indigenous people travel in dug-out canoes and barter. He was with US merchant navy but is now semi-retired and works for Mercy Ships. They travel either to Townsville (Australia) or Port Moresby to collect and drop off medical staff and crew.

There was a change in arrival and departure times. We should have left Port Moresby at 10pm, but because of “bunkering” delays – taking on fuel – we didn’t leave till about 1.30am delaying our arrival into Samarai Island at 5pm.

This was very disappointing, as it was dusk when we arrived, mozzie feeding time. Some braved the shore with t shirts, shorts and flip-flops, either not heeding or reading the advice for long sleeves and long pants after dusk. This is malaria country!

The islanders were excited to see the ship arrive and had spruced up the place, we had booked a 2hr walking tour, but of course this was cancelled – as it was getting dark. Thankfully, as it would have been a waste of money and it wasn’t possible to spend that much time walking around the island!

PG may have relied on shore-based agents to organise the tours in these various distant ports, the feedback from the majority of guests I spoke with was that their expectations were not met. Although when we came to Vanuatu, people seemed happier with what the tours delivered.

To be fair to PG it was clear that many guests had expectations well above what is possible in most third world countries. Some expecting paved roads, shopping malls and well-established tours. The visits to PNG and the Solomon Islands reminding my husband and I that we are privileged to live in a country with well-established infrastructure.

It might have been better if some guests in these countries had recognised the indigenous population were doing their best under very difficult circumstances. Maybe making a charitable donation to improve their life, rather than critiquing their life-style, state of hygiene and pet-care

After Samaria Island departure at 7pm we sailed for about another 36hrs to Kieta in Bougainville. We enjoyed a fascinating lecture by Mick Fogg on Papua New Guinea, its history and its people. The 2 hours or so sped by as he was a very entertaining and informative speaker. There was much in that lecture that surprised and distressed us.

At cocktail hour there was a concert in la Palette with Monica Ripamonti (piano) and Seth Taylor (violin). These two provided much classical music during the voyage, both in the Grand Salon, and also the more intimate venue of la Palette.

After dinner in La Veranda this evening, there was a concert with Michael Shapiro with a New York cabaret show.

We arrived in Kieta about 7am or so, I had coffee and Danish pastry in la Palette just after 6.30am, watched sun rise a little earlier and looked forward to the adventure of the day.

Kieta was an island with a population of about 700 and no other cruise ship had been here for 30 years. It was raining, and those that had selected the Island tour returned a little wet, muddy and having been transported in trucks, and buses. Some thought it good, others disappointed.

One or two hardy souls went trekking to the village, hitch-hiked and got a ride around the island and paid the princely sum of a few dollars to their driver – both parties happy with the deal!! Some who went on the significantly more expensive ship tour were possibly jealous!

We were absolutely amazed to see beautiful colourful coral growing at the dock in the crystal clear water.

Several locals had handicrafts for sale at the dock, and regarded us with curiosity and interest! We got off the ship and talked to several locals at the dock about the island, we noticed here and later in the Solomon Islands just how many people chewed betel nuts.

Noticing the brightly coloured red stained teeth and lips of the people we talked with we found out that betel nuts are mild stimulants, appetite suppressants and beneficial in stress reduction. Unfortunately also causing mouth cancer and broken teeth.

After a brief (few hours) stop, boarded the ship we left Kieta and sailed to Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands, arriving about 8am.

More to follow

Can't wait to hear the rest. We had wanted to take this cruise but the timing was bad. Now I get to hear what I missed.

Don't give up hope:).... I heard the ship is repeating this voyage in 2016 when it's due to head east again (maybe Singapore?) for a maintenance/service etc.

I am typing more about the trip and my recollections and will try and make it good reading for you!

I too had considered this trip so it is good to read about it.

It's sad that people do not research when they do these kinds of trips ...leads to unfulfilled expectations. I remember reading an interesting travelogue written by dogster, a fellow Australian Nigel Triffit. Dogster had promised me to come on the PG but couldn't make it and unfortunately passed before he could. Google dogster at Wordpress if you want to read it.

I'm a researcher, but I also feel that the cruise line needs to be more forthcoming when selling cruises like this. Instead of describing the islands as quaint, pristine, etc. They should do a better job of explaining the conditions and use words like undeveloped and emerging. (This goes for all cruises that visit all ports like this, not just PG.). PG does a good job of pretty specifically explaining the conditions on the Bora Bora motu and the Trail of the Ancients shore excursion, they should probably do the same for all undeveloped ports. I've run I to a similar situation with a non-cruise tour provider, it's an issue that needs to be addressed across the industry, not just with the PG. Transparency will allow everyone to make an informed decision and temper expectations.

Can't wait to hear the rest. We had wanted to take this cruise but the timing was bad. Now I get to hear what I missed.

Just realised when you said what you'd missed, maybe I hadn't done this accurately.:o

My first 2 posts were written pretty much straight out without really thinking of days in sequence.

So, in order (hopefully) not miss anything, and to give you a flavour of daily happenings, I'll try to get it right! - and give you a day-by-day account as far as I can.

I know previous posters have put photos of ship, cabins, public areas, pool etc, etc so no need to repeat that. Also I am sure I have seen a scan of the daily program Ia Orana too.

Aug 18th, Day 1

Welcome Aboard.

I forgot to mention about the cruise lecturers, - John Hay, Helen Henry, Mick Fogg, Capt. Wel Gamble and Capt. John Foley.

Aug 19th Day 2. At Sea

en route to Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.

In the afternoon there was a great lecture by Capt. Wel Gamble about PNG.

There were many activities during this day (and every day) ranging from craft, language, dance classes, bingo, etc.

The Captain's Cocktail party was this evening, and the Nationality Breakdown for passengers for this cruise was quite a blend.

USA 145, Australia 60, New Zealand 23, France 9, Canada 6, Italy 6, Germany 6, Switzerland 6, Slovakia 5, UK 4, Netherlands 3, with Mexico, Belgium, Brazil and French Polynesia 2 guests each, and Japan 1.

Aug 20th Day 3 Port Moresby.

I already mentioned detail for this town earlier, but on board ship late afternoon a dance troupe of children from Rabaul came aboard and showed us some of their traditional dances.

The Welcome Aboard block party was held at 6pm, - only a few guests of our Deck came out to say hello, - maybe they were shy?

In the evening in the Grand Salon, Monica Ripamonti and Seth Taylor played Sonatas for Violin and Piano.

Aug 21st Day 4 Samarai Island.

Already mentioned that we didn't get here until 5pm, that was disappointing.

However, - during the morning there was a lecture by Capt. John Foley entitled "Turning the Tide" which was about halting the Japanese advance in New Guinea. the battle of Milne Bay - which Australians may well know about.

The afternoon lecture by Mick Fogg "Choose your Pacific Poison" was on Betel Nut (already mentioned in earlier post) and Kava.

Showtime in the Grand Salon at 930 was Ia Orana Tahiti - songs and dances from ancient Tahiti.

Aug 22nd Day 5 En route to Kieta, Bougainville

Numerous daily activities available -

In the afternoon an enrichment lecture from Mick Fogg - An introduction to New Guinea and its people. This was quite a revelation.

Another lecture at 5.30pm by John Hay, Tourism and Climate Change, - Risk and Opportunities.

An opportunity to hear Seth and Monica play music again in La Palette at 6.30pm, and Michael's New York cabaret was presented in the Grand Salon at 9.30pm.

Aug 23rd Day 6 Kieta.

I believe I have covered this in the earlier post.

Ok, on to typing the next bit to catch up. I really hope some of you are enjoying reading this!!:)

Saturday Aug 23rd leaving Kieta around midday we went for lunch at la Veranda where a South American buffet was the star feature, we were joined at our table by some interesting guests and had a lively chat about the ports we had visited.

After lunch we went to the documentary movie in the Grand Salon: - WW2 in the Pacific – Sea Battles. Followed by a discussion with Capt. John Foley, one of the guest lecturers on board, who added his insightful comments.

Afternoon tea was quite necessary for me by then, as it had been at least a couple of hours since I had food (!). I had to especially ask for Twining’s Tea as all the restaurants just have something called Tazo which I found weak and flavourless (so, if you have a favourite tea – bring your own (!) The speciality, along with the sandwiches, ice cream and cakes was Pineapple Flambé.

There was also an enrichment lecture in the Grand Salon, but sadly I missed that one. – Reflections of 45years living on a Pacific Island, by Helen Hay.

Cocktail time with the music of Les Gauguines in La Palette, or the Piano Bar relaxing listening to the melodies of Voltaire.

Dinner at L’Etoile – just for 2 tonight.

Sunday Aug 24th Guadalcanal – a word etched in the memory of many an Allied serviceman.

As we arrived at the dock there was a troupe of dancers from Honiara, playing music to greet us. They were hoping to collect money to assist them to get to Australia. They were on the dock playing and dancing for hours in the sun.

Guadalcanal is well-known for its role in WW2 in the Pacific. As may be remembered the Japanese got to Guadalcanal in May 1942, and the US Marines landed here in August, and battles ensued. I won’t go into to the story of the battle, but it was a turning point in the Pacific and very important strategically.

We chose the ships excursion WW2 Historical highlights, it was quite hot, and thankfully we took hats and bottled water. We were picked up promptly by our coaches and our guide spoke quite good English and gave us a fair commentary of where we were going.

To the US Memorial, very moving to see the monuments and descriptions of the action, To Bloody Field where we were almost besieged (but sweetly) by many children offering to sell “treasures” they had found…..metal lids, WW2 coca cola bottles, medicine bottles. Why so many children not in school – it’s compulsory, but school fees are about $100 USD per year.

We asked our guide about the Solomon Islands, - 75% unemployment, so how does one pay school fees? Again the chewing of betel nuts is common, and our guide said he couldn’t chew any more as

he didn’t have the teeth,. Many stalls by the roadside selling a few vegetables, betel nuts and whatever else they could.

Honiara (the capital of the Solomon Islands) was devastated by a cyclone recently and the evidence was clear. It was a thought provoking sightseeing tour. We also went to Henderson Field (which is now the International airport, and the Memorial Garden. There are trees with memorial plaques for Allied forces personnel killed in battles here.

To reinforce what we had learned about battles in this area there was an enrichment lecture this afternoon in the Grand Salon– “The Lost Fleet in Iron Bottom Sound”

A story of the Guadalcanal Sea battles, - heroism, victory, incompetence and tragedy on the high seas. The talk given by Capt. John Foley was thought provoking and full of fascinating content, with many photos that brought the story to life and made us realise we were sailing over the graves at sea of many, many thousands of sailors killed in battle.

This piece of ocean is called Iron Bottom Sound because of how many ships (the list of how many – both US and Japanese was astonishing) were destroyed and sunk here.

Every year on the anniversary of the battle a US ship sails through here and drops a wreath to commemorate the dead, and for many Navy sailors this area is considered sacred and silence is observed when sailing here.

Other happenings aboard, a Honeymoon and Anniversary get together – I forgot to mention when we booked the cruise but it was our Anniversary in August, so we could have gone,,,,oh well, next time.

Games of Bridge, Bingo, Zumba classes for the energetic, - afternoon tea or cocktail of the day for those a little more sedate!

After dinner, which again at L’Etoile was excellent. It was Showtime in the Grand Salon, in which one of the Aaron Meyer, Rock Violinist was joined by Santa Rosa. Sadly for me, this wasn’t the best pairing and was way too loud. I thought Aaron was excellent and his skills were not matched by the band.

Monday 25th August. En route from the Solomon Islands to Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu.

This was about a 40hr sail, I seem to remember some of it being a bit choppy too, so the Meds handed out by Reception were welcome. It worked and diminished the queasy feeling, thankfully.

We arrived at Luganville in the morning, and not having booked any tours we had a leisurely breakfast and then decided to walk into town. We stopped and spoke with a New Zealand expat at the Tourism office who was trying to get the local people to make crafts to sell, rather than import Chinese souvenirs. We visited the handicraft market where the local mamas make the dresses. We bought some items.

Strolled back to the ship for lunch, there were families on the roadside playing tunes and singing

Decided to have a quiet afternoon, the film in the Grand Salon was “South Pacific” – the James Michener book (Tales of the South Pacific) formed the story for the musical.

Million Dollar Point is a famed snorkelling/diving spot as when the US dumped most of their unwanted equipment, (tanks, jeeps, etc.) at the end of the war. There are many great diving sites in Vanuatu.

More to follow

(hmmmm}. Ok, so seems I got a bit ahead of myself the last paragraph I wrote.. I seem to have got the last day a bit confused… need to pay more attention, probably writing too much, give the feeble brain a chance to work and keep the memory working!!!

TODAY we are at sea, (-it’s sure is a long way to Vanuatu).

So this is a corrected day:::

Monday 25th August. AT SEA …. En route from the Solomon Islands to Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu.

(This was about a 40hr sail, I seem to remember some of it being a bit choppy too, so the Meds handed out by Reception were welcome. It worked and diminished the queasy feeling, thankfully.)

Early breakfast at La Palette, coffee and Danish pastry, bit of carbohydrate, get some oatmeal later too…. thought I’d skip the healthy juice option…

There was a lecture this morning in the Grand Salon, “The Pacific – an Ocean of Islands” presented by John Hay.

Later an opportunity to join the bar staff in the Piano Bar to learn how to make those cocktails – great fun for a Sea day. Make shell ear-rings, watch a Fashion Show from La Boutique, attend a Zumba Class, or have afternoon tea and go to Trivia Time!

We went to the enrichment lecture in the Grand Salon this afternoon given by Mick Fogg which was so very good. It was an insight into the life of naturalist Alfred Russell Wallace and the geographic boundary in the Pacific that bears his name – a truly fascinating story.

Lots more information on Charles Darwin and Plate Tectonics too!!! Made me want to discover more about “the Wallace Line”. Have since been reading and researching more about this.

Then a surprise to hear Aaron Meyer, the Rock Violinist and Monica and Seth. (Violin and Piano) play together in the intimate surroundings of La Palette, the room was overflowing with chairs and audience spilled out on to the deck.

It was at 6.30 on a warm evening, and lovely as the breeze from the ocean cooled us as we sipped evening cocktails and the staff handed out hors d’ oeuvres to stave off those hunger pangs!

It seemed as if everyone (including the musicians) enjoyed this previously unannounced concert.

After a delightful dinner in La Veranda there was a show in the Grand Salon at 9.30pm – “Five Archipelagoes” – the new show featuring Les Gaugines.

Every evening there is the opportunity for after-dinner drinks in the Piano Bar, La Palette and into the night at the Disco.

Tuesday 26th August - Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu

We arrived at Luganville in the morning, and not having booked any tours we had a leisurely breakfast. I had lamb chops, a treat for me, as something I would not normally have for breakfast.

My husband had decided to have fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and fish for dinner, not having any of the afternoon tea offerings. He must have been one of the few to weigh less after the cruise than before (!) .

Walking into town, was only about 5/10 minutes we looked in several shops, spoke to locals who were indeed very friendly and the “bonjour” was immediately rewarded with a shy smile.

Because we can fly to Vanuatu in only a few hours from Sydney we decided to come back here for week’s holiday in a few months’ time, spend time exploring the countryside, visit the snorkelling and diving sites at our leisure.

Incidentally, I found my copy of the Lonely Planet South Pacific Guide invaluable for information, tours and accommodation on places we visited and also checking out reviews and suggestions on the trip advisor forum too.

In Luganville we stopped and spoke with a New Zealand expat at the Tourism office who was trying to get the local people to make crafts to sell, rather than import Chinese souvenirs.

He understood that tourists were happy to buy local craft and possibly pay a little more to help the local economy and keep traditional skills alive. So we asked where we could buy locally-made products.

We visited the handicraft market where the local mamas make the dresses. We spent quite a lot of time here talking to the ladies as they made the dresses and I took photos. We bought some items.

Back to the ship for lunchtime in La Veranda, a French themed buffet lunch.

In the afternoon Santa Rosa played music on the Pool Deck and in the Grand Salon a game of Liars Club was played. With a team trying to discover who was giving the correct dictionary definition of obscure words…it was quite entertaining.

Michael said he spent some hours trawling through the Dictionary to find words to confuse the teams.

Mick Fogg, John Hay and Capt. John Foley. - One told the truth, they all told devious tales relating to the meaning of the word. We had to guess the liars!! It was a fun hour.

We had dinner in Le Grill. By night it is transformed into an Asian Fusion themed restaurant, - the food was good, the staff very attentive it was and it was a pleasant evening.

I would recommend booking this restaurant when the ship is it anchor, last time we did this it was in Moorea on the previous cruise. It was a magical, calm, starlit evening, didn’t even notice what the food was!

Showtime in the evening in the Grand Salon was a performance of Sonatas for Violin and Piano. It is good to see that the inclusion of Classical music and Rock Violin was a refreshing change to the usual repertoire provided.

More to follow

Wednesday August 27th Port Vila, Vanuatu, - scheduled arrival 8am – all aboard 5.30pm.

Another early morning wake-up and a 6am walk to La Palette for a cup of tea and a croissant and say hello to other early morning risers. Enjoyed the ship’s arrival in the beautiful outer harbour of Port Vila.

We didn’t book any ship’s tours for this city but saw people get ready and off to their transport for selected trips.

My husband and I went to Le Grill, we had breakfast, I just watched the world go by from the deck and chatted with a few other guests and we decided to take a taxi into town later.

I had read reports of chaotic scrambles with taxi drivers vying for custom, so was a little apprehensive as we got to the wire gates at the dock in case we were overwhelmed with eager drivers.

Well, by the time we got there – (after 10am) there were so few drivers it wasn’t an issue, we were told it was about $5 AUD per person to take a taxi to town - we walked towards a vehicle – it turned out to be the most un-roadworthy vehicle I’ve seen for a long time.

Air conditioning courtesy of sliding windows and vehicle speed. One of the features of visiting poorer economies is recognising just how long a vehicle can remain in service, without instruments, perfect upholstery or sat nav.

The driver agreed to take us, he was charming and friendly. His bus was such a mess but he was proud of it, the upholstery was almost non-existent, rust was everywhere, but he drove safely and the brakes worked!!

We were dropped off in town, walked to the market and several shops. We saw several other guests from the ship who were exploring the dusty town. My husband bought me a lovely necklace from a good shop. There were plenty of tourist shops, lots of traffic.

Speaking to another couple a few days later we discovered that they had paid a taxi driver $120 USD for a tour of the sights.

But he began to pick up other people and drop them off en route, and after taking the couple to 3 destinations he indicated that was far enough and they decided to go back to the ship.

I realised later they didn’t do too well, as others managed a full day trip with a taxi for $50.

Put simply, if you don’t do your research on remote destinations and local customs you will probably get taken advantage of. Either by a smiling local or through an overpriced organised tour.

Well, the evening meal tonight is a South Pacific theme and ladies are asked to wear pareos or tropical outfit and the necklace went beautifully with the pareo purchased for me from the ladies in the craft market in Luganville the previous day!!

After lunch we went to the Grand Salon to watch the movie “WW2 in the Pacific – the Air Battles”, it was interesting and gave me so much more information about the war in this part of the world that I did not know.

I am also surprised just how many people fall asleep during the afternoon lectures, and movies - a little more difficult today as the movie soundtrack was a little noisier with the planes!

Seven potential meals a day and 24hr room service and limitless alcohol eventually getting the better of some guests.

We sailed away from Port Vila this evening around 6pm, leaving the beautiful harbour and heading for Fiji. This voyage would take 38hrs.

It was little windy and this caused some chop during this time. Pleased we had some medication, we also watched several DVDs in our room for diversion.

The evening meal was a delightful choice of South Pacific dishes, we had a table for 2 in L Etoile. Many people made an effort with their tropical attire, - men in Tommy Bahama type shirts and ladies in Pareos or tropical print outfits.

After dinner was the “Krew Kapers” show in which many of the crew perform. It is always a great show and such fun to recognise those who take care of us during the cruise having fun on stage.

Music in the Piano Bar and a disco in La Palette until 2am for those that can party into the night!

almost finished...... just another day or two to tell you about!!:)

So sorry about the font size, not sure what happened.:o

I had typed in Word document and copied and pasted, but obviously made an error.

I need to get my magnifying glasses out to read this.!

what a shame, I have spent so much time typing all this, quite disheartening.

Am also enjoying your detailed ship and port reviews! Thanks for taking the time to write it all out for us:-)

You had some long sea days, didn't you? I can see where some passengers would have difficulty with that on the PG if they were used to larger ships - both for the motion and the entertainment offerings.

:)

Am also enjoying your detailed ship and port reviews! Thanks for taking the time to write it all out for us:-)

You had some long sea days, didn't you? I can see where some passengers would have difficulty with that on the PG if they were used to larger ships - both for the motion and the entertainment offerings.

Yes, some found that to be the case with the long sea days.

I like reading other people's reviews of their trips, so I have tried to make mine interesting, and truly hope people are enjoying it.

I am sorry that as yet I haven't mastered the magic art of adding photos to illustrate text!

Later today I will enlist help and see if I can add some to enliven the printed word.

Almost finished writing, only a couple of days more of the trip to tell you about.

I'm a researcher, but I also feel that the cruise line needs to be more forthcoming when selling cruises like this. Instead of describing the islands as quaint, pristine, etc. They should do a better job of explaining the conditions and use words like undeveloped and emerging. (This goes for all cruises that visit all ports like this, not just PG.). PG does a good job of pretty specifically explaining the conditions on the Bora Bora motu and the Trail of the Ancients shore excursion, they should probably do the same for all undeveloped ports. I've run I to a similar situation with a non-cruise tour provider, it's an issue that needs to be addressed across the industry, not just with the PG. Transparency will allow everyone to make an informed decision and temper expectations.

Very valid points, I completely agree and endorse your opinion. I acknowledge is not as easy for PG outside their usual well-known and well-rehearsed offerings in Ports in French Polynesia.

More explanations are needed (as I may have already mentioned) of current situations and conditions in each port of call in this new itinerary.

In addition to the more historic/geographic and cultural details that are provided on the front page in the daily newsletter.

I know there are port talks provided, but as always, more information on any topic leads to the opportunity of better decisions being made and happier guests..

Thursday 28th August AT SEA, En route from Port Vila, Vanuatu to Beqa, Fiji.

Another early morning wake-up, watched the ocean for a while, and walked up to Deck 8, some of the crew were busy cleaning stairs, floors, walls – I guess they have a night crew to take care of all this work.

I didn’t want to get room service for a cup of tea as it would wake my husband, so waited a few hours until I hoped La Palette was open at just after 6, I greeted other early risers – no-one really communicative yet!!

We just read books, chatted with other guests and enjoyed breakfast and being aboard the ship.

In the morning there was a lecture in the Grand Salon by Capt. John Foley. It was “Longitude” solving the greatest nautical-scientific problem of the 18th century. The story of John Harrison. I didn’t get to this lecture, but had bought the book for my husband a couple of years ago.

Lunch was an Italian themed buffet which we enjoyed in La Veranda, we sat with new people to talk to and exchanged experiences of the cruise, the excursions and destinations we had visited.

Mick Fogg presented another lecture in the Grand Salon this afternoon. “Terra Australis– Great Southern land”, about the discovery and mapping of Australia.

I would really like to compliment Paul Gauguin Cruises for providing good speakers and enrichment lectures that were destination specific and very relevant to the area of the world we were cruising in.

Dinner was preceded by a concert by Monica and Seth in La Palette at 6.30pm.

Having seen Monica earlier in the day looking a little pale green (with sea-sickness) – as a few other guests were as the sea was a little choppy – maybe that was the 3 or 4 metre swell day.

I can’t quite recall… We were surprised and delighted that she could manage to play, even though evidently not feeling too good.

Their “Introduction to Baroque Music” concert was well-attended and well-received. Again the doors were open to the deck for cool breezes and to accommodate the audience. The bar staff were attentive providing drinks and canapés.

We were seated in L’Etoile at a table for 8 and met some lovely people and chatted amiably for quite a while over dinner.

Later in the evening, --- after dinner drinks, Showtime in the Grand Salon, Karaoke and La Palette disco for those that can still stand up…My husband and I were early to bed

Friday August 29th BEQA, Fiji Islands

Sailing overnight and arriving at Beqa at 8am. There was an excursion to see Firewalkers on this Island, and people were ready at the Tender to go ashore. The first tender was 8.30am

We anchored quite a way off the island it seemed, we had decided to take our snorkels and fins and swim/snorkel at this destination.

We joined a very lengthy queue for the tender, it was about 10.30 or so and we got aboard, the journey to the beach took about 20mins, and when we got there we were told it was a “wet landing”.

More to follow

[A1]