Cut out Cinque Terre?

Millenia98

LOL! We are crossing paths in where we've been looking to go. We're doing a few nights in Bologna before heading to Lake Como. I liked the looks of Parma better, but Bologna was more of a straight shop with rail.

A few nights in Bologna is overkill, especially without a car. A few hours in Bologna and a few hours in Parma are more than enough for each.

Reading the responses, I kind of wish I had taken a longer look at Maggiore. But, DH (who does no trip planning) had read an article in National Geographic Traveler on Lake Como last year. Once he gets something into his head it's hard to substitute another location:).

There are probably tour companies that will do a day tour to Lake Maggiore and the islands. If you add a night or two to Como instead of many nights in Bologna, you could do a day tour into Milan. There is a lot more to see there than in Bologna and it is well worth a day if you are in the area.

There are probably tour companies that will do a day tour to Lake Maggiore and the islands. If you add a night or two to Como instead of many nights in Bologna, you could do a day tour into Milan. There is a lot more to see there than in Bologna and it is well worth a day if you are in the area.

Dang...hotel is prepaid. We're coming off the ship in Civitavecchia so we won't get to Bologna until mid -afternoon. With a run in the park, we probably won't do much more than have dinner first night and soak in the atmosphere. Second day - I guess we'll have to stop and smell the roses there. :)

The reason I added the second night was when I questioned on TripAdvisor about just a night - they were indicating I'd need more time. We're kind of foodies so I thought it would be an interesting stop. And DH again - he liked the looks of Bologna when we watched Commissario De Luca TV series around the time we were planning.

We'll have 3 full days in Como area. Good to know we could get over to Maggiore if we so desire. We're finishing with an afternoon and night in Milan before we fly out of LIN early the next day. We leave for the cruise next week.

Edited by buggins0402

I've heard that here a lot about Bologna. And I'm always surprised. I studied it extensively as we were going there last year and then suddenly changed our dates and itinerary due to a cruise change. Bologna videos romanticized it (well at least young ppl on YouTube).

I will have to skip it this year again, but I someday want to head there with Tuscany again.

Hahaha funny! What does your whole trip look like? Who are you traveling with? Here's mine- eep.

Direct flight to Paris from NYC (stay 1 day and night in Paris)

Train from Paris to Nice, pick up rental car (stay 5 nights, do day trip to Provence)- or stop in Provence 1-2 nights

Nice, Eze, St Tropez, Villefranche

Drive to Cinque Terre (sleep 2 nights)

Flight from Milan at 4pm- drive by Parma on the way. Not sure how that'll fit.

What do you think?

LOL! I'd stick with Marazul and Hank's advice on the Italy portion.

But, with French portion - I read that thread and I was with the group that had you split the French portion between East and West. Particularly if you are a cruiser...you'll get back to the area of Nice, Eze, Villefranche...again, and again and again. But, further west...it's more difficult to fit Provence into a port stop.

When originally planning our trip I had Cinque Terre circled as a to do, but decided to just do it cruise on a ship with a long port stay for a variety of reasons...reading about crowds and the difficulty of getting in our run workouts and lack of fitness center alternatives.

LOL! I'd stick with Marazul and Hank's advice on the Italy portion.

But, with French portion - I read that thread and I was with the group that had you split the French portion between East and West. Particularly if you are a cruiser...you'll get back to the area of Nice, Eze, Villefranche...again, and again and again. But, further west...it's more difficult to fit Provence into a port stop.

When originally planning our trip I had Cinque Terre circled as a to do, but decided to just do it cruise on a ship with a long port stay for a variety of reasons...reading about crowds and the difficulty of getting in our run workouts and lack of fitness center alternatives.

Very important reason! So lucky and exciting for you! Gah, I'm going to feel so sad about not cruising this year. It pains me. We've gone every year in Europe and have never done a land trip this way. No one to make me feel luxurious. Just me doing all the work, haha. I don't mind, I like the control but it's nice to be whisked away throughout Europe.

You're right. I've been given that advice about hitting Nice again on future cruises. I'll make a point to sleep in Provence then.

What's a beachier atmosphere for my baby? We are traveling with our toddler (she'll be 2). I don't mention this bc I'm a very adventurous parent and my girl does well traveling. Just give her some space to roam free with Mama, and she's all good.

Does anyone change their minds now? I don't like that to be the basis of my responses, so I don't mention it until later. Is Cinque Terre vs Lake Region/somewhere else more spread out for strolling, walking, having ice cream at cafes with her? It's 4 of us and my daughter.

We are traveling with our toddler (she'll be 2).

Does anyone change their minds now? I don't like that to be the basis of my responses, so I don't mention it until later. Is Cinque Terre vs Lake Region/somewhere else more spread out for strolling, walking, having ice cream at cafes with her? It's 4 of us and my daughter.

Even though you would be in Cinque Terre slightly after the biggest summer crush I would still be afraid that the intense crowding could be frightening for your daughter. This is probably a location best left for another trip.

Even though you would be in Cinque Terre slightly after the biggest summer crush I would still be afraid that the intense crowding could be frightening for your daughter. This is probably a location best left for another trip.

You think? She was in Prague, Rome, Sicily, Positano and Istanbul last year, haha (though she was 14 months back then.)

What else besides Cinque Terre from Nice to Milan? I didn't intend on going hiking with her or anything (my Mom prob wouldnt love that either).

Dang...hotel is prepaid. We're coming off the ship in Civitavecchia so we won't get to Bologna until mid -afternoon. With a run in the park, we probably won't do much more than have dinner first night and soak in the atmosphere. Second day - I guess we'll have to stop and smell the roses there. :)

The reason I added the second night was when I questioned on TripAdvisor about just a night - they were indicating I'd need more time. We're kind of foodies so I thought it would be an interesting stop. And DH again - he liked the looks of Bologna when we watched Commissario De Luca TV series around the time we were planning.

We'll have 3 full days in Como area. Good to know we could get over to Maggiore if we so desire. We're finishing with an afternoon and night in Milan before we fly out of LIN early the next day. We leave for the cruise next week.

That's better! You had said "a few nights" in Bologna and I thought you meant 4 or 5! You are fine with two nights. One afternoon for your run and one full day for leisurely sightseeing. You will be ready to head out next day! And yes, great food there - the main reason to visit.

Yes, to visit Maggiore check with your hotel as soon as you arrive and see what tours may be offered. From Como itself take the boat to Bellagio, etc.

Edited by marazul

What's a beachier atmosphere for my baby? We are traveling with our toddler (she'll be 2). I don't mention this bc I'm a very adventurous parent and my girl does well traveling. Just give her some space to roam free with Mama, and she's all good.

If you do stay around Avignon or Aix first, then you can stop for a few hours at the beaches near St Tropez on your way to Nice. They are beautiful sandy beaches with great restaurants. Once in Nice you can have some beach time there or anywhere from Cannes to Nice.

You will still find the lake region "more spread out" as you say for strolling, ice cream, etc. It will probably fit the bill for what you want. You will have use the pool instead of the beach for a couple of days. The boat rides on the lakes should make up for it. There are no huge crowds there like in CT and the towns are really pedestrian friendly around the lake shores.

For beachy places, there are Menton and San Remo between Nice and Milan. Just past Ventimiglia (between Menton and San Remo), you could turn inland to spend an afternoon visiting Dolceacqua and Apricale.

Edited by marazul

I know you started looking north because of difficulties finding a place you liked in Cinque Terre. I don't know if Portovenere would work? Definitely has a beach. It's a bit more out of the way south though. Never been there but perhaps, Marazul, Hank or Eurocruiser can opine.

One major problem, is you might have to drive to La Spezia for the train to Cinque Terre if conditions are such that that the ferry can't run.

Anothrt thought... Santa Margerhita?

Edited by buggins0402

I know you started looking north because of difficulties finding a place you liked in Cinque Terre. I don't know if Portovenere would work? Definitely has a beach. It's a bit more out of the way south though. Never been there but perhaps, Marazul, Hank or Eurocruiser can opine.

One major problem, is you might have to drive to La Spezia for the train to Cinque Terre if conditions are such that that the ferry can't run.

Anothrt thought... Santa Margerhita?

Thank you! Will definitely look into Santa Marg.

How about a boat tour through Cinque Terre. Do you think my baby would be allowed on there? I think that would be the best way of seeing vs hiking it on the train from land to land. Kind of a rougher place and I'm willing to do it (I'm too tenacious) but CT may be knocking me down. Lol

I had mentioned Portovenere in one of my earlier replies to you. It is a beautiful town.

Santa Margherita could be a very good choice too, maybe your best choice. There are ferries connecting four towns in CT and Porto Venere. Also a ferry (not sure if it is the same line) connecting Santa Margherita with CT and most interestingly, Santa Margherita with Portofino, Camogli and San Fruttuoso. You could spend one day going to CT and Portovenere and a second day going in the opposite direction to Portofino, San Fruttuoso and Camogli.

Get the ferry timetables. It is farther from Santa M to CT than from Portovenere. You have to decide if it works for you. But you have a car, so you could drive from Santa M to Monterosso and take the ferry from there to the other towns. You can also drive from SM to Portfino. It is a short drive, but so much better by sea. Also, San Fruttuoso is inaccessible by road, but on the ferry line.

And, yes, there are beaches at Santa Margherita, better than at Monterosso. Look at them on google earth:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/16038+Santa+Margherita+Ligure+Metropolitan+City+of+Genoa,+Italy/@44.3284389,9.2167537,747m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x12d4a01931b4d6f7:0x2b22b1384ed2ff2b!8m2!3d44.3345737!4d9.2136594

The ferries are public transport and of course, all ages are welcome. The ferries run frequently, but are subject to the weather. On the other hand, there is a train connecting Santa M to CT and of course, the CT towns are connected by train. The car is your backup to get around.

You need to google ferries and Santa Margherita and Cinque Terre to get the schedules. Also google the train schedules to have a backup. And there is no need to book tickets ahead of time.

I think this could be your solution.

Edited by marazul

I had mentioned Portovenere in one of my earlier replies to you. It is a beautiful town.

Santa Margherita could be a very good choice too, maybe your best choice. There are ferries connecting four towns in CT and Porto Venere. Also a ferry (not sure if it is the same line) connecting Santa Margherita with CT and most interestingly, Santa Margherita with Portofino, Camogli and San Fruttuoso. You could spend one day going to CT and Portovenere and a second day going in the opposite direction to Portofino, San Fruttuoso and Camogli.

Get the ferry timetables. It is farther from Santa M to CT than from Portovenere. You have to decide if it works for you. But you have a car, so you could drive from Santa M to Monterosso and take the ferry from there to the other towns. You can also drive from SM to Portfino. It is a short drive, but so much better by sea. Also, San Fruttuoso is inaccessible by road, but on the ferry line.

And, yes, there are beaches at Santa Margherita, better than at Monterosso. Look at them on google earth:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/16038+Santa+Margherita+Ligure+Metropolitan+City+of+Genoa,+Italy/@44.3284389,9.2167537,747m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x12d4a01931b4d6f7:0x2b22b1384ed2ff2b!8m2!3d44.3345737!4d9.2136594

The ferries are public transport and of course, all ages are welcome. The ferries run frequently, but are subject to the weather. On the other hand, there is a train connecting Santa M to CT and of course, the CT towns are connected by train. The car is your backup to get around.

You need to google ferries and Santa Margherita and Cinque Terre to get the schedules. Also google the train schedules to have a backup. And there is no need to book tickets ahead of time.

I think this could be your solution.

Marazul, our ship is porting in Portofino on the June 6. Is San Fruttuso worth trying to squeeze in on the day? My original plan was to do the hike to Santa Margherita, check that out, then take the ferry back to Portofino and spend the afternoon there. If the tenders are short I was actually thinking of going back out in the late afternoon for a run along the path to San Margherita since we're in port until 8 pm.

OP - if you decide on SM, I'll scout a bit and report back in less than 2 weeks. I won't be there late to see if it's hopping at night - but it looks to be a similar size as Sorrento.

Wow, you all are so helpful and nice. Thank you immensely. For some reason, I don't think I've struggled to research a trip like I have this one. Maybe bc it's my first land trip vs cruise. On the cruise, you decide what to do and you have no choice on where to stay/logistics. You exit and you go on a tour or on your own - those 2 choices.

I THINK I really may have chosen Santa Margherita. I would have never thought to look into it. I'm researching apts now. I think that's where we might settle. See Cinque Terre via boat one day. Then see Portofino and the others the other day.

What do we do with our car? We're coming from Provence to Nice to Santa Margherita. Then what - just park the car for the 2 days?

Any dinner/nightlife ambiance in Santa Margherita?

OP - if you decide on SM, I'll scout a bit and report back in less than 2 weeks. I won't be there late to see if it's hopping at night - but it looks to be a similar size as Sorrento.

Thank you! I hope so. I'm loving what I'm seeing in SM. Can you tell me what cruise line you'll be sailing and what your stops are? So exciting. And yes, please report when you get back!!

Edited by Millenia98

Marazul, our ship is porting in Portofino on the June 6. Is San Fruttuso worth trying to squeeze in on the day? My original plan was to do the hike to Santa Margherita, check that out, then take the ferry back to Portofino and spend the afternoon there. If the tenders are short I was actually thinking of going back out in the late afternoon for a run along the path to San Margherita since we're in port until 8 pm.

buggins - do some research on hikes around Portofino. I understand there is a really good hike to San Fruttuoso that goes past some ancient church. I think I heard it is about 4-5 hours round trip. San F is a really pretty, tiny town on the water with a medieval abbey and an inn. If you do that hike you will not need an afternoon run! Or you could take the ferry back from San Fruttuoso. That could work real well time wise.

Get the ferry schedules for Portofino -San Fruttuoso. If you decide to keep your original plan and maybe stay just a couple of hours in Portofino, then you can take the ferry there and back. The boat ride takes you around the promontory and you can see the beautiful villas above Portofino from the sea. Whether it is worth it, it depends on your time and how much time you want to be in Portofino which is beautiful.

But do a little research and decide what you want to do.

Edited by marazul

What do we do with our car? We're coming from Provence to Nice to Santa Margherita. Then what - just park the car for the 2 days?

Any dinner/nightlife ambiance in Santa Margherita?

I don't think you will have any trouble parking in Santa M. And you may need the car to get you to CT. I hope not, but we were staying there once for a few days and on one day both the trains were on strike and the seas were too heavy for the ferry!

There are some very good restaurants in SM. There is a street (Via Cavour?) up from the big church of Santa Margherita that has several restaurants. In one of those, and I don't remember which one, we had 'trofie al pesto' the typical pasta of Liguria. It was wonderful. Also many restaurants along the shore.

buggins - do some research on hikes around Portofino. I understand there is a really good hike to San Fruttuoso that goes past some ancient church. I think I heard it is about 4-5 hours round trip. San F is a really pretty, tiny town on the water with a medieval abbey and an inn. If you do that hike you will not need an afternoon run! Or you could take the ferry back from San Fruttuoso. That could work real well time wise.

Get the ferry schedules for Portofino -San Fruttuoso. If you decide to keep your original plan and maybe stay just a couple of hours in Portofino, then you can take the ferry there and back. The boat ride takes you around the promontory and you can see the beautiful villas above Portofino from the sea. Whether it is worth it, it depends on your time and how much time you want to be in Portofino which is beautiful.

But do a little research and decide what you want to do.

Thanks Marazul. I do have the ferry schedule printed. The pictures I brought up on line look stunning. I think I might at least have to reverse the hike from SM to Portofino instead so that we can take the ferry all the way around (hiking the other way would have been just a short hop on the ferry back to Portofino.). thanks again for the info!!!

Thanks Marazul. I do have the ferry schedule printed. The pictures I brought up on line look stunning. I think I might at least have to reverse the hike from SM to Portofino instead so that we can take the ferry all the way around (hiking the other way would have been just a short hop on the ferry back to Portofino.). thanks again for the info!!!

Have a wonderful time.

And, yes, it is stunning, but I don't like to hype places because some people may be disappointed.

Let us all know about your trip.

Have a wonderful time.

And, yes, it is stunning, but I don't like to hype places because some people may be disappointed.

Let us all know about your trip.

Thanks Marazul! Could I ask you one more favor? I have a thread for finding the charm in Monte Carlo in the France section. I was really hoping you would find it to give some of your secrets. For this particular trip, I know in my heart we'll be happiest just studying in MC.

Millenia, I'll definitely report back (sorry this stupid IPad won't quote your message for a response). Our cruise is an Oceania cruise on Riviera.

Starts in Barcelona, goes to Barcelona, Palma (never been),Marseille (we're heading to Aix - been there but needs a revisit), Monte Carlo (been there but determined to find the love), Portofino - new, La Spezia - new never been to Cinque Terre, Livorno - going to Lucca - we've land traveled in the area but missed this town. Ends in Rome and we're heading north for new Italian sites for about a week on land. Happy times ..we've been upgraded to a suite! Seven nights, a port a day, point to point, with new sites...it's our kind of cruise!

Hope SM is what you've been looking for!

Edited by buggins0402

buggins -

You don't make it easy... I will give it a try in the French boards.

ROTFL!!! Hey, you'll see I even thought of checking out the boys choir!

Seriously, I came to the conclusion that we've done the area relativlely well and on this busy cruise it might be nice to chill. If I can sweet talk the captain to port the ship with a port side view, I could probably stay on the ship and read a book! I need the Riviera sun!

ROTFL!!! Hey, you'll see I even thought of checking out the boys choir!

Seriously, I came to the conclusion that we've done the area relativlely well and on this busy cruise it might be nice to chill. If I can sweet talk the captain to port the ship with a port side view, I could probably stay on the ship and read a book! I need the Riviera sun!

If you want sun, there is a huge public swimming pool in La Condamine, right at the port.

Check the French boards.

There must be something wrong with DW and moi! We have been to Italy and France numerous times including dozens of cruises, months of driving trips, apartment rentals, etc etc. What is really strange is that we keep coming back because we find "charm" at every turn. After reading buggins posts (we also saw the one on Monte Carlo) I now thinking we must be somewhat demented or using funny sun glasses that have us seeing and experiencing charm that is not real :(. And we must really be strange folks, because no matter how many times we come back to these places we find new things to see and do. Woe with us.

Hank