Naples: Capri and Pompeii via Sorrento...Am I crazy?

cleenw

We are taking our DD15 and DS17 on the Harmony in August. DH and I have done this cruise before and did the excursion with the cruise line. I have come up with this plan... might be too much. I think I would buy tickets in advance.

Has anyone ever done this before or have any suggestions?

Take the 8:05 ferry to Marina Grande.

Bus or Funicular to Capri and back down.

Take the 11:40 or 12:10 ferry to Sorrento.

Bus or walk to train.

Take the 12:37 or 13:07 train to Pompeii Scavi

Take the 15:53 or 16:17 train to Napoli Porta Nolana Station

Take Tram#1/bus to Port.

Thanks for your input!

We are taking our DD15 and DS17 on the Harmony in August. DH and I have done this cruise before and did the excursion with the cruise line. I have come up with this plan... might be too much. I think I would buy tickets in advance.

Has anyone ever done this before or have any suggestions?

Take the 8:05 ferry to Marina Grande.

Bus or Funicular to Capri and back down.

Take the 11:40 or 12:10 ferry to Sorrento.

Bus or walk to train.

Take the 12:37 or 13:07 train to Pompeii Scavi

Take the 15:53 or 16:17 train to Napoli Porta Nolana Station

Take Tram#1/bus to Port.

Thanks for your input!

Not crazy, but personally for my traveling style, this is too regimented and too much running around to try and see it "all". I suggest either spending your day on Capri, have a leisurely lunch, explore the island, or spend your day in Pompeii. Trying to do both is exhausting and stressful, especially when constantly checking your watch to make it to the trains and ferry at a certain time.

Just my $0.02 :D

Edited by brunello22

Naples: Capri and Pompeii via Sorrento...Am I crazy?

A bit too ambitious, perhaps...crazy? No!

My recommendation would be to do either Capri or Pompeii and Sorrento. Either way you and your family would enjoy a fantastic day.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

It is ambitious, especially considering the heat in August, but you might find Capri so crowded that it will be a relief to get on the boat to Sorrento. I like planning out days like this so I know my options, then going with the flow on the actual day.

One suggestion I would make is to consider using the Naples-Poggiomarino line to get back to Naples from Pompei. You get this train near the Amfiteatro exit from the ruins at Pompei. The beauty of this option is two fold; first the train is far less crowded than the Naples-Sorrento line, and second it allows you to be more efficient at Pompei because you won't have to backtrack (uphill) to get back to the Porta Marina exit.

The Naples-Poggiomarino schedule is here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/Poggiomarino%20-%20Napoli.pdf

I guess it depends on whether you want to return home and be able to say you have "visited" x number of places...or whether you prefer to have time to really explore and enjoy a place. DW ranks Capri as one of her favorite places in that part of Italy and would never dream of spending less than 4 hours on the island. For us, assuming good weather, we can never resist heading up to Anacapri (we use the local bus) and taking the chair lift up to the top of the mountain (spectacular views and lots of fun). And then there is browsing the high end boutiques, enjoying lunch, etc. As to Pompeii (been there quite a few times) one needs at least 2 hours (inside the ruins) to just walk around and see the major parts (you could spend a day if you wanted to do it right). If using the trains you have to consider the time getting to the ruins, and back at the station a few minutes before your train (of you will have to wait another half hour).

But what you plan is doable. We would not consider buying ferry tickets in advance because you can never be sure whether you would make that early ferry. And there are 2 major companies operating ferries (at different times) and they do not accept each other's tickets. So if you miss your ferry you might find yourself waiting longer then you like for that same company's next ferry (while there are better options from the other company). We do recommend buying your return ticket as soon as you arrive at Marina Grande (the ticket window is right off the end of the pier) if you are returning at a prime time (3-4:30pm). But with the mid-day or early afternoon ferry to Sorrento there should be no problem even with a last minute ticket.

Another reason we would not pre purchase tickets is the weather issue! If you happen to be in Naples on a rainy miserable day....going to Capri might not be the best use of your time. In really bad weather we would probably just stay in Naples and perhaps head over to the Archaeological Museum (a world-class place).

Hank

Thanks everyone for the advice! we will wait to buy tickets for sure and love the idea of the other train in Pompeii. My husband really wants to see the amphitheatre and it is at that end of the site. It may take a bit longer but seems like the best choice.