How much more are you willing to pay for the Disney experience?

Tapi

Wow I guess I'm not that into those types of details. I look for good Childcare, friendly staff, decent food, fun pools and water features, a decent room, and cleanliness. I had all of that on Carnival for less than on a Disney cruise. For a cruise with good ports that's all I need. I was on Disney for a 14 night Hawaii cruise and loved DCL for that kind of trip. So much to keep me busy on sea days. For a long trip like that with so many sea days I'd definitely prefer DCL because there's more for me to do on sea days than on CCL. I think if the little things/touches as described above matter a great deal then I agree that a person would be happier on DCL for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow I guess I'm not that into those types of details. I look for good Childcare, friendly staff, decent food, fun pools and water features, a decent room, and cleanliness. I had all of that on Carnival for less than on a Disney cruise. For a cruise with good ports that's all I need. I was on Disney for a 14 night Hawaii cruise and loved DCL for that kind of trip. So much to keep me busy on sea days. For a long trip like that with so many sea days I'd definitely prefer DCL because there's more for me to do on sea days than on CCL. I think if the little things/touches as described above matter a great deal then I agree that a person would be happier on DCL for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No doubt Carnival can offer a great experience especially for the money. I've experienced that myself, but I've never experienced the nice touches, the extras, and that attention to detail that I get on Disney. Overall it's just a much higher standard.

I agree that all the things that are important to you based on your last post, you can find on Carnival for a much lower price. I'm a very detail oriented person and I admit I enjoy the niceties in life, and I find that to a certain extent on Disney without having to spend a small fortune on lines like Silversea or Crystal. I'm also a huge Disney fan and an annual pass holder at WDW, so all the discreet and not so discreet Disney touches onboard the DCL ships are icing on the cake to me. I'm like a kid in a candy store and I just enjoy walking around the ship and admiring all the details! LOL

I love the Disney resorts at WDW too, for all the same reasons I love the Disney ships. It's just a level of detail and quality you can't find anywhere else and it makes me somehow feel special and perhaps even like a kid again!

I generally choose cruises based on itinerary and price, but I'm willing to pay a small premium to cruise with Disney on occasion. However, I don't sail with children, and out of 26 cruises on 5 cruise lines - only 5 have been on DCL. Those were all during low season and were reasonably priced - by Disney standards.

I sailed on Celebrity Solstice and RCI Legend of the Seas this year. My upcoming cruises will be on Disney Magic, RCI Serenade of the Seas, and Star Princess.

If I were taking children on a cruise, I wouldn't even be looking at other lines, so the price could be five times more and it wouldn't matter.

Really. Five times.

So.....a cruise on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian, HAL, whatever....costs, for example, $7000. But a Disney cruise at 5 times that much would cost $35,000. And you'd do it.

Most families with kids would take the $7000 cruise on another line and put the remaining $28,000 toward the principal on their mortgage. If they're smart. In today's economy, it would be reckless not to.

Not many people who have small children have that kind of disposible income.

MizDaisy, I hear what you're saying but you need to keep from applying your values and decision-making process to what others may do. There are cruises where the Disney premium is that much, and clearly *someone* pays the Disney prices. (I'm a self-admitted cruise snob in a way and only sail in the biggest suite on a ship. That being said, I choose my cruises wisely, and as an example the 14-day Panama Canal cruise I'm about to take on the Wonder is costing less than some 3-day cruises I priced out just for fun. And if you want sticker shock, you should see what Disney charges for the royal suites in Alaska or Norway. But again, they have no problem filling those cabins at those prices.)

In short, not everyone has a mortgage. And not everyone has disposable income limitations. So saying that it would be reckless to pay for an expensive cruise rather than paying down principal on a mortgage is a generalization that doesn't apply to everyone. Don't fault ducklite for saying that she'd pay whatever it takes to cruise with Disney, instead realize that she (and she can't be the only one) is simply in a different place in her life than some other people may be.

Obviously, my example isn't going to apply to everyone, and from prior posts, I know that Ducklite is at a point in her life where she can easily spend that much on a cruise.

It's true that my outlook has changed since I have grandkids, and two of my kids have mortgages.....so I guess I set my example by thinking of what would be appropriate and reasonable for them. They seem average for their age group. And given a choice, I know what they'd choose.

I did one of DCL's 15 night Panama Canal cruises, and the only way I could even imagine it would be the same price as ANY 3 night cruise (and this really stretches my imagination) would be an inside stateroom. Or a closet. I'd have to see it to believe it.

I can't imagine a 14 or 15 night cruise on any cruise line, even the cheapest, could be the same price as a 3 night cruise. Especially if comparing comparable staterooms. I was on an 11 night Southern in the Walt on DCL, and the cost of that in no way would be comparable to a 3 night cruise......unless we're talking about booking a private yacht somewhere.

I've seen Disney's prices for suites to Alaska. That's why we chose the Haven on NCL for Alaska. WAY more bang for the buck....minus Mickey Mouse.

Edited by MizDaisy