What to wear in September - Rhine & Mosel

turtlegirl2

Hello! We leave in a little less than a month for our Rhine/Mosel river cruise & pre-trip Bruges & post-trip Paris vacation. Need to pack for 23 days of travel in September and are not sure how much or how little to bring.

Will the weather be mild or cool the entire month or will we have some warm days still? We usually take Caribbean cruises and I know what to pack for those trips :).

What would you/have you packed for this trip? For women and men. And do you hand wash on the cruise or send out for laundry service to cut down on packing?

Any other tips/suggestions for us as we prepare for this exciting trip?? We are on the Grand Circle Rhapsody for our trip, Belgium to Switzerland route.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Hello turtlegirl,

this sounds like a great holiday! Bruges is great, love the town. If you can have a boat trip there. The weather will be mixed but expect the mornings to be a little chilly, without frost. Warm days are likely on such a long trip, you can get temperatures of up to 25 degrees in the afternoon still. Mostly it will be more 15 to 22 degrees. Rain can be anything from light showers to 24 hours continuous drizzle.

Make sure you take comfortable shoes, sandals are probably not that advisable in September but it depends on your personal temperature comfort level. Jacket with hood will be good but a winter jacket I would not regards as necessary unless you are planning on going into the mountains in Switzerland.

notamermaid

Notamermaid (love your name!!) thank you for sharing! We are so excited about this trip and are ready to go!!! Will definitely look at a boat ride (canal?) in Bruges & also want to do some bike riding there and at as many other locations as possible. We are having some unseasonably cool weather for August where I live and I'm hoping we will enjoy similar on our trip.

I think I'll bring a pair of Capri pants in addition to regular length pants and some light to mid weight cardigans for layering. I do have a Columbia rain jacket with a hood that should work perfectly. I bought some waterproofing spray for all our shoes, hats, bags and hope that will be helpful if we are out walking when we get rain.

I have read that casual clothes are fine on the river cruise which is great but we still want to be neat :)

I'm definitely trying to figure out how many shoes to take. I want to take several pairs to have variety but shoes take up so much space!!

If you think of anything else, please jump back on and share! Thanks again!!

Hello turtlegirl,

this sounds like a great holiday! Bruges is great, love the town. If you can have a boat trip there. The weather will be mixed but expect the mornings to be a little chilly, without frost. Warm days are likely on such a long trip, you can get temperatures of up to 25 degrees in the afternoon still. Mostly it will be more 15 to 22 degrees. Rain can be anything from light showers to 24 hours continuous drizzle.

Make sure you take comfortable shoes, sandals are probably not that advisable in September but it depends on your personal temperature comfort level. Jacket with hood will be good but a winter jacket I would not regards as necessary unless you are planning on going into the mountains in Switzerland.

notamermaid

turtlegirl2,

happy to help. :)

The Flemish painter's stuff is fascinating IMO - even if one prefers younger art. This is the Bruges website: https://www.visitbruges.be/en and the canal boat ride is on here: https://www.visitbruges.be/en/bruggemetdeboot

A bike ride sounds great. If you have got lots of time a short train ride could take you to Brussels to see the market square and the art nouveau buildings of Victor Horta: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Horta

But Ghent is supposed to be interesting as well, have not been there.

For the Moselle here are some ideas: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353480

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Notamermaid... Me again... So much for being organized and having clothes in a pile ready to,pack. Uniworld cancelled our cruise for Aug 23(mechanical problem on the River Queen) ... Can you imagine trying to rebook four sailings! We had a few choices but they were for the Danube itinerary which we have sailed.. The first availability is Sept 16 same cabin but we are still working on details for our flights.. So reshuffle wardrobe for a few warmer clothes🤗🤗...I guess no worrying about very warm weather..

Notamermaid... Me again... So much for being organized and having clothes in a pile ready to,pack. Uniworld cancelled our cruise for Aug 23(mechanical problem on the River Queen) ... Can you imagine trying to rebook four sailings! We had a few choices but they were for the Danube itinerary which we have sailed.. The first availability is Sept 16 same cabin but we are still working on details for our flights.. So reshuffle wardrobe for a few warmer clothes🤗🤗...I guess no worrying about very warm weather..

I'm glad this worked out for you. The weather should actually be better than your original dates.

Hello amd1234,

read about your misfortune with the cruise in the other thread. It turns out to have had a good affect, the days of 30 degrees are probably over on your new date!

Shame about your original ship but I am sure you will have a great time on the ship you will now be on.

notamermaid

Hello! We leave in a little less than a month for our Rhine/Mosel river cruise & pre-trip Bruges & post-trip Paris vacation. Need to pack for 23 days of travel in September and are not sure how much or how little to bring.

Will the weather be mild or cool the entire month or will we have some warm days still? We usually take Caribbean cruises and I know what to pack for those trips :).

What would you/have you packed for this trip? For women and men. And do you hand wash on the cruise or send out for laundry service to cut down on packing?

Any other tips/suggestions for us as we prepare for this exciting trip?? We are on the Grand Circle Rhapsody for our trip, Belgium to Switzerland route.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

We took this trip (with GCT) in November 2015, and it was a great trip! We had relatively mild weather for November, and it really helped to bring layers.

We had one day in Trier that was very windy and rainy, and I felt that umbrellas were awkward in that situation. So I was happy to have other options for staying dry (including a Tilley hat that provided protection from the sun and rain).

We did not send out any laundry but hand washed some ex-officio under garments.

I am curious as to whether you are traveling to Bruges on your own or doing that with GCT as well? We did it with GCT (at the end of our trip near Thanksgiving). The boat trip is normally included in the GCT package. Our boat trip was cancelled due to rainy weather but that gave us a little more time to explore on our own.

We are taking a GCT river cruise in France this September and wondering the same thing about what to pack for various kinds of weather situations. I will most likely take one or two garments made by Scottevest. They have a lightweight vest with several pockets for use on the the plane or while taking in the sights. And I also like their Chloe Hoodie which is like a hooded fleece jacket with multiple pockets. I wear it on flights that might be chilly and used it on our trip when temperatures were in the 50s to 60s.

Hope you have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are frequent GCT travelers and always enjoy their trips. If forced to name my favorite it would be the Rhein - Mosel itinerary. We also did a day trip to Brugge from Brussels on a different GCT itinerary. It was a rainy day, the boats were operating, and we "cruised" the canals.

There is a lot of things to do on your own at many of the ports if you are comfortable with wandering on your own and/or using public transport.