Montego Bay Vs Ocho Rios

Raxter54

DW and I have already cruised to Falmouth Jamaica and enjoyed it. Looking to future cruises, does anyone have a recommendation on either Montego Bay or Ocho Rios? We are particularly interested in which one might have better shopping opportunities around the port area. Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

BTW - I posted a similar thread last week and labeled it "Mahogany Bay" instead of "Montego bay", which probably confused people reading it. My bad:o

I was coming to post this exact question, we're debating for a 2018 cruise between one that visits Ochos Rios and one that visits Montego Bay. I've never been to either so I don't know which one to pick! We really like beaches though so I'm hoping someone will post with info about a good beach too!

You will have more shopping opportunity in Ocho Rios. There is a little "Island Village" shopping center right next to the pier and some shopping (center and market) within an easy walk from the pier. That being said, Ocho Rios also has the worst reputation for aggressive vendors. They don't bother me, I enjoy Ocho Rios, but many people do not like the sale "style" of some of the vendors, especially in the market. JUST SAY NO and walk away.

The dock in Montego Bay does not have shopping opportunities within walking, but they do have a shuttle ($) to the Hip Strip area of Montego Bay where there is plenty of shopping, restaurants and the popular Doctors Cave Beach (popular with cruisers).

There is probably more to do for cruisers in Ocho Rios with the Falls, Mystic Mountain, Blue Hole, etc. but Montego Bay is also fine for doing excursions - but the drive is generally longer.

I gave my general opinion in the other thread but will repeat it here:

Ocho Rios has TONS more options compared to Montego Bay.

Shopping in either is not going to look anything close to the "fake town" at Falmouth at either. :)