SEATTLE HOTELS - Thoughts Marriott Waterfront - Inn at the Market August 2017

buckeye rob

We are arriving early on Thursday the day before our 8/11 Friday cruise. Tentatively thinking of Marriott Waterfront for that night. Arriving back from cruise the following Friday morning 8/18, not heading back to Cincy until a 10:45 p.m. "redeye" back Saturday evening. So all day Friday and until about 7-8 p.m. Saturday in Seattle. Thinking of Inn at the Waterfront. Just a bummer having a room only until evening Saturday. Any thoughts ? Suggestions ? Regards, Gerry.

Are you cruising on Norwegian? If so, the Marriott Waterfront makes a lot of sense as it's right across the street from the cruise terminal. If you're sailing on some other line, it's less important as the other companies use Pier 91, around 2 miles north of the central waterfront. (There are no hotels close to T91, so any downtown-area hotel will do.)

Coming back, it's less important where you're staying. The Inn at the Market is fine, but many of the rooms (the less expensive ones) don't face the water or the market, but instead face rather trafficky streets. Hotels in the downtown area are extremely expensive during cruise season, and IMO there are some that are better located than the Inn if your aim is to explore the downtown area.

One thing to consider for your departure day/night is to rent a car for the day, throw your bags in the back, and use that day to explore the region a little. You could do a day trip to Whidbey Island, explore Vashon Island and Tacoma (some terrific museums and parks) or even do a day trip to Mt. Rainier. You'd end at the airport; drop the car and off you go. The car rental would provide airport transportation and bag storage in addition to letting you see some interesting parts of our beautiful region.

Mt. Rainier from Vashon Island -

Rainier%20from%20Vashon%201.JPG

I have stayed at the Marriott Waterfront prior to a HAL cruise and have booked the hotel again for a pre-cruise stay in July.

If you are sailing on NCL, staying here is a no-brainer. The ship will literally be across the street.

For a one night stay and you are not sailing on NCL, the hotel is still a convenient one. Anthony's Pier 66 has 3 different dining venues available directly across the street. A very pleasant seating and observation area of Elliott Bay is located there as well. A walkway path is across the street that can give you some exercise after your flight to other entertainment/dining areas located not too far from the hotel. It is also possible to walk to Pike Place Market from the hotel; uphill, to be sure. But, there is an elevator available to help somewhat.

And, the service and ambiance of the hotel is what one would expect from a Marriott.

I cannot offer any information about the Inn at the Market nor downtown hotels. I have stayed at the Seattle Sheraton, the Seattle Hilton, and what is now the Seattle Renaissance (had been a Stouffer hotel when I was a guest). Too many years have passed to provide you with any advice. Check TripAdvisor would be my suggestion.

Are you cruising on Norwegian? If so, the Marriott Waterfront makes a lot of sense as it's right across the street from the cruise terminal. If you're sailing on some other line, it's less important as the other companies use Pier 91, around 2 miles north of the central waterfront. (There are no hotels close to T91, so any downtown-area hotel will do.)

Coming back, it's less important where you're staying. The Inn at the Market is fine, but many of the rooms (the less expensive ones) don't face the water or the market, but instead face rather trafficky streets. Hotels in the downtown area are extremely expensive during cruise season, and IMO there are some that are better located than the Inn if your aim is to explore the downtown area.

One thing to consider for your departure day/night is to rent a car for the day, throw your bags in the back, and use that day to explore the region a little. You could do a day trip to Whidbey Island, explore Vashon Island and Tacoma (some terrific museums and parks) or even do a day trip to Mt. Rainier. You'd end at the airport; drop the car and off you go. The car rental would provide airport transportation and bag storage in addition to letting you see some interesting parts of our beautiful region.

Mt. Rainier from Vashon Island -

Rainier%20from%20Vashon%201.JPG

I have stayed at the Marriott Waterfront prior to a HAL cruise and have booked the hotel again for a pre-cruise stay in July.

If you are sailing on NCL, staying here is a no-brainer. The ship will literally be across the street.

For a one night stay and you are not sailing on NCL, the hotel is still a convenient one. Anthony's Pier 66 has 3 different dining venues available directly across the street. A very pleasant seating and observation area of Elliott Bay is located there as well. A walkway path is across the street that can give you some exercise after your flight to other entertainment/dining areas located not too far from the hotel. It is also possible to walk to Pike Place Market from the hotel; uphill, to be sure. But, there is an elevator available to help somewhat.

And, the service and ambiance of the hotel is what one would expect from a Marriott.

I cannot offer any information about the Inn at the Market nor downtown hotels. I have stayed at the Seattle Sheraton, the Seattle Hilton, and what is now the Seattle Renaissance (had been a Stouffer hotel when I was a guest). Too many years have passed to provide you with any advice. Check TripAdvisor would be my suggestion.

Great suggestions. Never thought of renting a car for Saturday until heading to the airport about 8 P.M. Thanks to you both. Regards, Gerry.

We plan on just taking a cab to pier 91. I hear it's only about 2-3 miles away. 10 minutes ? Regards, Gerry.

I use a travel agency based in Seattle. My agent picked me up at the hotel on sailing day to take me to the pier. I recall it was a longer ride than 10 minutes. But, I'm unsure how long. Suggestion: e-mail the hotel and ask for information from them as to how long the taxi ride is and what the fare might be.

When I went to Marriott Waterfront website, directions came up 2.9 miles @ 9 minutes. Pier 91 Smith Cove Cruise Terminal West Garfield Street. Gerry.

I use a travel agency based in Seattle. My agent picked me up at the hotel on sailing day to take me to the pier. I recall it was a longer ride than 10 minutes. But, I'm unsure how long. Suggestion: e-mail the hotel and ask for information from them as to how long the taxi ride is and what the fare might be.

When I went to Marriott Waterfront website, directions came up 2.9 miles @ 9 minutes. Pier 91 Smith Cove Cruise Terminal West Garfield Street. See you are in Centerville. We are close to Eaton, just west of you. Regards, Gerry.

buckeye rob, I am right down I71 in Cincy. Have booked the Marriott waterfront for our July cruise with Princess. It is located in area for walking plus plan on grabbing uber to port. We also have same 1045 flight going home; so have booked the Doubletree Hotel which is halfway between airport and downtown. I used points for this hotel and they have free shuttle to airport. Plan on doing sightseeing prior to cruise; we have day and half pre-cruise and all day post cruise. Am looking at setting up some sort of day trip or post cruise sightseeing;; then we will get to Doubletree to chill until we head to airport. My question is does anyone know if Princess has valet luggage where we can check our luggage in from the ship to Delta and get them in Cincinnati; so we don't have to lug them around all day. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...