Steak in MDR

I can't speak specifically about the Freedom but I can share with you we were on the Sept 28th sailing of the Magic. My husband ordered the Steakhouse selection in the MDR. He said it was one of the best fillets he had ever eaten. A few nights later we dinned in the Steakhouse and he ordered the fillet again. Interestingly he said it was not as tender as the one in the MDR.

This option wasn't offered on our cruise last August, but we did eat in the Steakhouse, and the food was good, and well worth the price. I also like the flat iron steak in the MDR, even though it pales in comparison to the filet or cowboy steak in the specialty restaurant. Next cruise we're thinking of doing two or three nights in the steakhouse, or two in the steakhouse, and one in the JiJi's, which a few of our family tried while on the Sunshine. I like the steakhouse experience, and would probably not order the steak from there in the MDR.

I can't speak specifically about the Freedom but I can share with you we were on the Sept 28th sailing of the Magic. My husband ordered the Steakhouse selection in the MDR. He said it was one of the best fillets he had ever eaten. A few nights later we dinned in the Steakhouse and he ordered the fillet again. Interestingly he said it was not as tender as the one in the MDR.

I wonder what the difference was, or what caused the difference in it being not as tender?

Every steak we have ever ordered in the MDR was awful. Been on 9 Carnival cruises and like idiots we keep ordering the steak at least once to give it "just one more try". The MDR steak is like shoe leather. I will gladly pay for the upgrade without going to the steak house. We are beef eaters and like steak. Will probably order steak house offerings more than once.

Now before you jump my case, we DO like most everything else on the menu. The steak is just horrible.

Edited by Boozebabe

Every steak we have ever ordered in the MDR was awful. Been on 9 Carnival cruises and like idiots we keep ordering the steak at least once to give it "just one more try". The MDR steak is like shoe leather. I will gladly pay for the upgrade without going to the steak house. We are beef eaters and like steak. Will probably order steak house offerings more than once.

Now before you jump my case, we DO like most everything else on the menu. The steak is just horrible.

I'm a fellow idiot...looking forward to a nice steak in the MDR on our Magic cruise. Happy to pay extra. Love the Steakhouse but just too much food at once. BUT a nice little filet in the MDR....yum !

I was on the Magic two weeks ago. In the MDR, I ordered the 14 oz NY strip from the special menu. It was truly delicious. Absolutely scrumptious.

This was NOTHING like the flat iron steak thing. Those are awful. There is no comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on the Magic two weeks ago. In the MDR, I ordered the 14 oz NY strip from the special menu. It was truly delicious. Absolutely scrumptious.

This was NOTHING like the flat iron steak thing. Those are awful. There is no comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can say that again

DSC_9711_Zyde.jpg

A different cow

That really is part of the difference. Also thaw time, temperature of cooking surface and where the cut was, not as in part of cow but each steak is from a specific area. They get only so many of each kind of steak and often some are more tender than others. I know this was more than you wanted to know about steak.

In any case, the steakhouse selections worked really well for us as I truly enjoy many of the MDR offering and hubby prefers the steakhouse. We had the better of both worlds.

Yes on Freedom and should be the same as in the Steakhouse. While the regular (free) steak in the MDR is very good, the Steakhouse Selections are noticeably a cut above.
I've never had a steak in th MDR that was decent, let alone "very good." The last one I had tasted like old, cheap steak from WalMart. Blech. I took one bite and then just ate the side items, lol. The steaks in the steakhouse, on the other hand, have always been excellent, so I'm looking forward to being able to order them in the MDR.