Katakolon for a first timer.

josephml1

Hello everyone.

and thank you for being so kind to post in this thread.

I know you post is going to be very useful to me and others.

I am looking for top ten things to do and do not miss (you can include food also)

in Katakolon

Thank you all.

We went through this decision last year. The ruins in Olympia are not up to what you will see in Ephesus. I also did not get a thrill to stand in the place of the original Olympics. However, we decided to go and were glad we did. We had a guide who had overlay pictures of how things looked way back when. We figured that it was unlikely we would be back in the area again and thought that going to Olympia beat the other options. Here is a link to my pictures.

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/561

Definitely go to Olympia. You easily can rent a car for a reasonable price a block from the ship and drive yourself there in very little time. Olympia itself is small and easy to park there. In addition to the ruins, there is an excellent museum.

Katakalon itself is very small; you could visit a small beach there or a winery, I believe.

There are really just 2 things to do. Walk around town or go to Olympia. The town looks like any touristy town that can be found near many cruise ports. It really looks like it was built just because the pier was put there. Just a couple of streets. Souvenir shops, places to eat, that's about it. Go to Olympia because that's why the ship docked there.

Just returned from a 17 day Seabourn Adriatic cruise which included Katakolon. As we had been to Olympia before we decided to stay in town and go for a long walk. In point of fact the beach is not small. We walked to the right of the town and down to the water and walked for over 4 miles on a lovely hard packed fine sand beach. This is very unusual for the Med where most of the beaches are pebbles. The beach curved around the bay and we could have walked further but turned back and walked the 4 miles back to town because we thought a storm cloud was approaching. The beach was clean and the water clear and we picked up numerous shells as we walked. Also there was hardly another soul on the beach so it was quite peaceful.I'll try to post a pic in a day or so once I download the pics from my camera to my computer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

I was tjeking out my old links from last time I was i Katakolon in oktober 2011 and found this site:

http://www.olympia-greece.org/

Lots of information on Olympia.

I went on a private tour to Olympia, but if I should do it again I would just take one of the buses from right outside the port. I notised you could just walk right up to them (it is possible to book in advance). They cost around 10 euro, mayby 12...

The entry to the arkeological site is 6 euro and another 6 euro for the museum or 9 euro for a comboticket.

I do recomend the museum.

If you have time left when you get back to the port I would also recomend the museum of ancient tecnologi.

A smal museum with smalscale models and a lot of reading if you want to understand how it works. Some very surprising stuf in between.

A smal ticketprise mayby1-3 euro

It is in the other end of "town" from the port. On the opposit side of the road from the musik-museum (that I dont recommend, unless you are very interested in musical intruments)

• 2 weeks later...
I was tjeking out my old links from last time I was i Katakolon in oktober 2011 and found this site:

http://www.olympia-greece.org/

Lots of information on Olympia.

I went on a private tour to Olympia, but if I should do it again I would just take one of the buses from right outside the port. I notised you could just walk right up to them (it is possible to book in advance). They cost around 10 euro, mayby 12...

The entry to the arkeological site is 6 euro and another 6 euro for the museum or 9 euro for a comboticket.

I do recomend the museum.

If you have time left when you get back to the port I would also recomend the museum of ancient tecnologi.

A smal museum with smalscale models and a lot of reading if you want to understand how it works. Some very surprising stuf in between.

A smal ticketprise mayby1-3 euro

It is in the other end of "town" from the port. On the opposit side of the road from the musik-museum (that I dont recommend, unless you are very interested in musical intruments)

excellent advice very useful.

Thank you very much :)