My review: Mariner of the Seas 8/9-8/16/2009

Hi everyone. I'm working on my Mariner review but thought I'd go ahead and put up what I have. The beginning is more narrative than review, but I'll get there. Hope you enjoy and I'll add more as I get it written. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer what I can.

Quips, quirks, and biases

One of the great things about cruise vacations is that, in many cases, they are what you make of them. Because of that, I always like to include this little introductory section where I describe where I'm coming from, as context definitely colors any review. This was my 14th cruise on Royal Caribbean, and 24th cruise overall. I've been "loyal to Royal" lately because I like their ships, have received competitive pricing, enjoy the C&A Diamond perks. I sailed on the Mariner in May when she went on her single Astoria Pacific NW run and was glad to be returning to her. I sailed this time with my father who just retired and is also a frequent cruiser.

This cruise was booked in early July, so about a month from the sailing date. I used that site for competing prices and found a travel agent that offered both a fare discount and prepaid tips on top of the military rate that my dad made us eligible for. I was a bit skeptical, but after talking to the guy over the phone, decided to give it a shot. Thankfully the booking was genuine, though those onboard credits … who knows until you’re there. Oh … and one other note … once we made the booking, my dad forwarded his stockholder information to customer relations for OBC. We found out, however, that the discount given to us by the agent was some sort of RCCL-based promotion and we had the choice of either $100 off the fare (the original offer) or $100 OBC with the stock. No surprise, we took the money-in-pocket option. This gummed up the booking for a few days so I learned a new lesson … I need to mention stockholder credit to the travel agent I’m using before just sending it along just in case the fare is coming from a promotion I’m not aware of.

Pre-Cruise

On my May Mariner cruise, we were forced to fly in day-of and, of course, United decided to lose our lone checked bag in Denver, leaving us with few clothes options (and fewer warm clothes options) for a few days until our bag caught up with us in Oregon. This time we were able to fly in the day before and we took the opportunity. Our American flight left Indianapolis with a connection in Dallas to LAX. There was a one hour, on-tarmac delay in Dallas because of a warning light that needed to be checked out, but we still made it to LAX by about 1 PM on the Saturday before the cruise. We collected our bags ($15 apiece, but now $20 I guess with American and I’m sure others soon) and went out to catch the shuttle I had booked online.

**Needless rant** OK … I’m sure this is unnecessary, but still … I HATE checked bag fees. I know they exist and I know the airlines are struggling to make a profit, but I still wish they would just add those fees to the fare. Of course, airlines are now at the mercy of the fare aggregators (like Kayak, Sidestep, etc), so appearing to have the lowest price is the goal. The side effect of this, of course, is also that people are bringing more luggage as carry-ons, including pieces that have no business inside an airplane cabin. American tried to enforce carry-on policies, the biggest seeming to be the 2 limit as many people tended to have a large bag, a smaller bag, then other handbags on top of that. All-in-all, carry-on baggage has gotten more ridiculous with each flight I’ve taken this year. Don’t even get me started on the mass of people waiting to board that block all other people (foot traffic, those already cleared to board, etc), which is, of course, made worse by the people AND their huge carry-ons ….. OK, it’s out of my system. ;)

Transportation

With only two of us, a shared-ride shuttle seemed the best option for getting to our San Pedro hotel. Researching the two shuttle companies I’ve used in LA, I found that PrimeTime charges $16/pp from LAX to San Pedro while SuperShuttle charges $17/pp. Not really having encountered any differences between the two, I prepaid with PrimeTime. Upon receiving our bags (quite quickly by LAX standards), we went to the ground transportation area and found the shuttle representatives on the island across the street from the baggage claim. We waited perhaps 5 minutes for our shuttle and the one that arrived was full except for two seats right inside the door. All-in-all we won the shared-ride lottery … we were the last picked up and in the first group dropped off 30-40 minutes later in San Pedro. I made note that all shuttles appeared to have a sign stating that they would circle the airport only once before heading to a destination, so if you are the first on a shuttle, be prepared for a bit of a wait which is par for the course with shared-ride.

Lodging

I typically use Priceline and tried to get the Crown Plaza San Pedro for the usual $65 bid that wins it. I could not get it after a couple of attempts, however, so I went ahead and purchased a $70 3-star Hotwire hotel which I assumed and turned out to be the DoubleTree at the marina. Upon arrival to the hotel at about 2 PM, I was told by the desk that there were no rooms ready and that check-in was 3 PM, so kindly sit and wait. We sat and waited until about 2:40 or so and noted that others were getting rooms so I went up and was able to check-in.

** Note: I’ve been unhappy in the past with Hotwire and room configurations as I’ve booked rooms for 3 (and paid extra for the third) and was still given a single king bed and charged for a roll-away. This time I booked a room for 4 (though it was only the two of us) as there was no increase in price (added 2 children instead of adults) and there was no way they were going to force 4 people into a single queen or king bed.

Our room was on the second floor overlooking the pool and next to the stairwell overlooking pool. The room seemed bright with interesting art. There was supposedly wired Internet available but it didn’t seem to work. The pool was a bit loud at times, as were the children and adults who liked to jump down the interior stairs. The room seemed clean, though in between my before-bed shower and morning shower my feet mysteriously got dirty, so perhaps the carpet needs a little attention.

The area around the marina seemed decent though there didn’t seem to be an abundance to do. We walked around the marina (to the left when you exit the hotel) until we reached the 22nd Street Landing which is where we had dinner. It was a little pricey but in line with the hotel and I had a feeling that this kitchen was probably better than the hotel’s “mystery” kitchen. Our food was very good and we watched the fishing ships come in and clean their catch.

**Note: The shuttle driver told us this was the best hotel in the area. I mentioned that I had stayed in the Crown Plaza before and he asked me if I had needed my running shoes. I said no, I only walked around the area in the day, which he said was a smart move. He also noted that there was a small turf-war going on in San Pedro along a few streets between rival gangs. Just FYI and passing along with no proof or personal experience.

To the ship

If you stay at the DoubleTree, make sure that you talk to the bellman about signing up for the complimentary shuttle to the port. The large rush seemed to be around 11 AM but I got on the first shuttle at 10:30. The shuttle was not at all full, and we arrived while there was still quite a bit of activity. We were directed to a small booth to get baggage tags, and then tracked down a porter for our suitcases. After that, we made our way through security (you need SetSail and passports out). This led to the check-in lines which we bypassed to go to the C&A priority line. We were checked in very quickly as we filled in our H1N1 flu declarations (ie, we are not sick or have been around people who were), and were then sent over to a gated waiting area for priority boarding (standard boarding required numbered tickets). Most people went to the far right when facing the area as there was an agent and door there, but we went to the far left which is where you actually board the ship once they move the gates. At 11:30, the gates were moved aside and we boarded the Mariner ….

"**Needless rant** OK … I’m sure this is unnecessary, but still … I HATE checked bag fees. I know they exist and I know the airlines are struggling to make a profit, but I still wish they would just add those fees to the fare. Of course, airlines are now at the mercy of the fare aggregators (like Kayak, Sidestep, etc), so appearing to have the lowest price is the goal. The side effect of this, of course, is also that people are bringing more luggage as carry-ons, including pieces that have no business inside an airplane cabin. American tried to enforce carry-on policies, the biggest seeming to be the 2 limit as many people tended to have a large bag, a smaller bag, then other handbags on top of that. All-in-all, carry-on baggage has gotten more ridiculous with each flight I’ve taken this year. Don’t even get me started on the mass of people waiting to board that block all other people (foot traffic, those already cleared to board, etc), which is, of course, made worse by the people AND their huge carry-ons ….. OK, it’s out of my system. "

Very nice review so far. I COMPLETELY agree with your above "rant". I absolutely can't believe the amount of crap people drag onto the plane with them and don't check. I only bring a tote bag which I "try" to store above our seats but it is getting more difficult to find any room with all the suitcases people are bringing on, not to mention clogging up the aisle trying to lift to heavy bags over their heads to get in the compartment and blocking the aisle in the process.

Looking forward to the rest of your review. :)

Embarkation day

Early embarkation

As was stated when we checked in, we were let on the ship at 11:30 (documents indicated that boarding started at noon). In the information sheet about the ship, it stated that the Windjammer would be opening at 11:30, however when we arrived at about 11:35, it was closed and we were told it would open in 15 minutes or so. When we came back around noon it was open, though only about 25% of the food was out and the manager was apologizing over the loudspeaker and asking people to sit tight for another 15 minutes or so for food to be placed out. This didn’t really happen as people started grabbing food as soon as it was set out, but I was surprised that the Windjammer was not ready when people boarded. I grabbed some of the traditional honey stung chicken (which was one of the first items placed out) and had a nice meal.

Cabins are closed to guests until 1 PM. Believe it or not, they really do mean everyone needs to stay out until 1, though many special people tried to get to their cabins to drop their luggage (as if everyone else wasn’t lugging stuff around too). Most landings had staff posted to keep people out of the hallways, but I sometimes find it frustrating how people start off arguing about what they should be allowed to do or that they just want to do whatever …. in my eyes, the price of early embarkation is lugging your carry-ons for an hour or so.

My single instance of “upsetting” service happened during this time and is very minor, but it made me mad, so here it is … we sat in the couch at Vintages on the Promenade with our bags at 12:40 or so to people-watch for a few minutes before we were allowed to go to our cabins. We had our bags with us, so obviously we were just hanging out, and were approached by a waiter at about 12:55 and asked to purchase a drink. When we politely refused, he stomped away, smacking the back of one of the nearby couches. I understand people having bad days so I never looked for his name or included him on the comment card or anything, but I’m glad to say that service only improved for the rest of the cruise.

Cabin

We booked an inside guarantee and were placed in 6509 which is an inside cabin at the very front of the ship. Some might moan about the location, but I found it to be very quiet except for the running children on the deck above (yes, when children run, everyone on the deck below can hear it). I also didn’t notice any disproportionate movement up front. It was a bit of a walk, but hey, that’s healthy right? ;)

The cabin seemed to be kept in good shape. It felt slightly roomier than the inside promenade room I had had on my last voyage, probably because the beds fit better in the room. There was plenty of storage space for everything, and the cabin had what appeared to be a new safe. The bathroom included the Voyager-class and above standard shower door which I truly appreciate. Water was clean and the temperature control worked well … all great. There was a mini-bar with the usual sodas and candy that we left alone.

Muster Drill

I typically don’t write much about the muster drill, but I thought this one warranted reflection. I’ve had an intense summer job so I’ve not been on Cruise Critic much this summer and feel a bit out of the loop. However, we were told that we were the first cruise on the Mariner where passengers were asked to leave their life vests in their cabins and just report to their muster stations (which were printed very largely on the SeaPass).

I may have differing opinions on this than others, but by not taking the life vest, the whole thing seemed completely worthless. Perhaps it makes a difference because we were seated in a lounge, but no one paid attention during the entire drill. Seriously, everyone was chatting with traveling companions or on the phone during the entire drill, even when the cruise director or captain was talking. When it came time for a crew member to demonstrate putting on a life vest, our station’s crew member (who I was sitting next to), grabbed the vest, started to unhook it, then noticed that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE was paying attention to him and simply set the vest back down. I don’t know if it was different out on the decks or in different venues, but I know in the Lotus Lounge that the room was lost. No one wanted to or could control the room, and thus none of the passengers took it seriously. Personally, I felt this was a failure of this more lax program. Yes, it’s wonderful not to have to wear the vest or worry about tripping over it or hearing people blow on their darn whistles, but the cost seemed to be even more loss of attention at an important and mandatory event that already had only a tenuous grasp on people’s attentions as it was.

Muster Drill

I typically don’t write much about the muster drill, but I thought this one warranted reflection. I’ve had an intense summer job so I’ve not been on Cruise Critic much this summer and feel a bit out of the loop. However, we were told that we were the first cruise on the Mariner where passengers were asked to leave their life vests in their cabins and just report to their muster stations (which were printed very largely on the SeaPass).

I may have differing opinions on this than others, but by not taking the life vest, the whole thing seemed completely worthless. Perhaps it makes a difference because we were seated in a lounge, but no one paid attention during the entire drill. Seriously, everyone was chatting with traveling companions or on the phone during the entire drill, even when the cruise director or captain was talking. When it came time for a crew member to demonstrate putting on a life vest, our station’s crew member (who I was sitting next to), grabbed the vest, started to unhook it, then noticed that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE was paying attention to him and simply set the vest back down. I don’t know if it was different out on the decks or in different venues, but I know in the Lotus Lounge that the room was lost. No one wanted to or could control the room, and thus none of the passengers took it seriously. Personally, I felt this was a failure of this more lax program. Yes, it’s wonderful not to have to wear the vest or worry about tripping over it or hearing people blow on their darn whistles, but the cost seemed to be even more loss of attention at an important and mandatory event that already had only a tenuous grasp on people’s attentions as it was.

Wow - we were on the Mariner cruise just before you (8/02-8/09). I am soooo glad I got the "last" pics of us in our ugly orange life-vests :o. I think I'm gonna miss those times of grinning at your partner because you know you look ridiculous, but it's only for a few minutes. Think I'll scrapbook these right away :D!!!

Nice review so far BTW!

We will be on the Mariner next week and really appreciate the amount of detail you put into your review so far.

BTW, do you recall what time the ship docked in Puerto Vallarta? The itinerary says 8:00 am (ship time), but I'm hoping we might arrive a little bit earlier, since our shore excursion pickup is also at 8:00.

It seems to me that we docked in Puerto Vallarta a little early but I can't tell you excactly. Tour operators there though should be on top of when the ship arrives and give you leeway if you are a little late (as long as you are of the gangway ASAP).

This is my first cruise platinum in Dec. Will my DD (gold) be able to board priority with us if our reservations are linked?:confused: Anyone know? TIA

They didn't really check when I checked in so I'd say yes though there's always the possibility you will get a stickler at the gate.

Hi Bob-

We're enjoying your review a lot and have a related question. We're on the Mariner in October and already have a Fly & Sail Package booked with the Crowne Plaza. We are, however, staying a night after the Mariner and getting onto a Carnival cruise the next day in Long Beach. We'd like to stay that in-between night at the Crowne Plaza too. Can you tell on Priceline that you're bidding on a specific hotel or are there exact criteria that you're putiing in to get only the Crowne Plaza as a result? Right now, the rack rate for the CP is at about $130 including tax, and we're really hoping to get it at closer to the $65-$70 price range that you mentioned.

Any help or tips you can give us will be greatly appreciated.

Happy sailing.

Looking forward to the rest of the review. Considering the prices of the balcony cabins for most of these cruises, I'm stoked that we might get to cruise early next spring on her. I have to say my last cruise on her when she was in Florida got me hooked again. She's a great ship and the crew is fantastic.

Hi Bob-

We're enjoying your review a lot and have a related question. We're on the Mariner in October and already have a Fly & Sail Package booked with the Crowne Plaza. We are, however, staying a night after the Mariner and getting onto a Carnival cruise the next day in Long Beach. We'd like to stay that in-between night at the Crowne Plaza too. Can you tell on Priceline that you're bidding on a specific hotel or are there exact criteria that you're putiing in to get only the Crowne Plaza as a result? Right now, the rack rate for the CP is at about $130 including tax, and we're really hoping to get it at closer to the $65-$70 price range that you mentioned.

Any help or tips you can give us will be greatly appreciated.

Happy sailing.

If you go to Priceline and put in San Pedro, CA you should get maybe 4 areas for bidding (Long Beach, etc). You can select San Pedro and 3.5* and that will probably only get you the Crowne Plaza. With Priceline you can never be 100% of course but in that area and level, you will probably only get the CP or DT (which doesn't seem to come up much on PL).

Are ya gonna finish:confused:

Yes, as soon as my profs stop flooding me with work ... so 2 years? ;) Hopefully today.

BTW, I do have my photos up and in the link in my sig. I didn't take many ship interior ones this time (see my May one for those).

Ports

I know everyone really wants to know about the ports and tours. I only went on one tour, but I’ll give whatever info I can and what I heard around the ship.

Cabo

Cabo is the first stop (Tuesday) and it is a tender port, meaning there are not docking facilities for the Mariner. In other words, you must load onto smaller ships (or tenders) in order to get to land. We shared the port with Carnival Elation but there seemed to be plenty of tenders for both. It is a short trip to land in the tenders (5-10 minutes) and the bouncing wasn’t too bad though you might want to make sure you take seasickness meds if you are prone to getting ill with movement.

I don’t have the exact time in my head, but I believe that tendering started in between 9-9:30 AM. There are no tender tickets as you just board when you are ready to go. Morning tours usually had specific areas in the ship to meet and tender over. There was an announcement made about 11 AM or so that there was a glut of people trying to get off at once, so it seems like either before 11 or after 12 or so is probably the best time to get off without having to wait in lines.

Not in any rush, we ate lunch onboard (starting at 11:30) and tendered over at about 1. Huge surprise here, but it was quite warm with temperatures ranging between 100-115 degrees Fahrenheit. Without a tour booked we got off just to walk around the dock area which is very built up though a lot of construction seemed to still be going on. We ended up going to the Hard Rock Café for a pin for my mom’s collection as there were advertising signs and directions. It was about a 20 minute walk to the Hard Rock which was fairly busy with only a few employees selling merchandise (though I wasn’t going to complain about waiting in the air conditioning). We continued around the dock area and ended up making the complete trip to the public beach at the opposite shore from where our tender docked. This was quite a walk and along the way quite a few merchants, tour operators, and water taxi drivers were trying to solicit business (but nothing too aggressive). Once we reached the beach, we turned and walked back to the tender, probably a 30-40 minute walk. There were multiple shopping and food opportunities along this path. I took note of drink prices and didn’t notice any “deals” to be had further away from the tender area. The typical deal for drinks seemed to be 2-for-1 mixed drinks (like margaritas) and a bucket of 6 beers for about $8-10 that might or might not include chips and salsa. I was slightly interested in going to Cabo Wabo, but the road it was on was being ripped apart and with the heat, I wasn’t feeling adventurous.

We returned to the ship at about 3 and there was a small line for the tender back (we waited maybe 5 minutes or so). Returning to the ship you need to put your items through the scanner and walk through a metal detector. The metal detector seemed set very high as both my wallet and buckles on my sandals set it off. They appeared to be diligent about confiscating liquor for return the last sea day.

Word around the ship was that Cabo was the best stop at this itinerary to do watersports as it has the clearest water. It was also pointed out later that Cabo is the most “foreign tourist” oriented resort down on the West coast of Mexico meaning higher prices and less “authentic” surroundings.

Mazatlan

Wednesday’s stop was Mazatlan which has pier facilities for the Mariner to dock, though it is in an industrial area so passengers still need to board a trolley to get out of the dock area. The Mariner docked at around 8 AM I believe in Mazatlan.

We decided to take a tour through the ship in this port, so we signed up for the “Artisans and Tequilla factory” tour. It was advertised as a 6-hour tour offering insight into leather-working and tequila with a stop in a small town, a stop at a tequila factory, and an authentic Mexican meal for $55/pp. The tour was to meet at 8:45, so we debarked the ship at about 8:30 and found our air-conditioned bus waiting outside. The tour took us out of Mazatlan to the small town of La Noria which was about a 40 minute drive through which the guide offered information about Mexico and the local area. Once in the town, we were taken to a leather shop where we were shown some finished saddles, belts, and huaraches and were given the opportunity to purchase a made-to-order belt embossed with a name for $10. We were then taken across the street to see huaraches being made and purchase them if so desired. Also for sale were leather masks (think wrestling) and small leather coin purses.

**Funny note: Four young ladies decided to take this tour (my guess is for the tequila) and I’ve never seen such ridiculous people in my life. Every stop prompted them to find something to send them running and screaming to the bus such as ants and believe it or not, a toad. I guess the tour description did not mention that this tour would not be taking place in a shopping mall and that there would be the possibility of NATURE.

After leaving the shop area, we were taken to the local church and allowed to go in and look at it even though we were wearing our touristy clothes such as shorts (many of the tours including churches noted that long pants were required to enter). Leaving the church we went to a tortilla factory where we were offered samples of fresh, still-warm corn tortillas. After that, we loaded back on the bus and made our way to the tequila factory. Cold bottled water was made available by the tour operators.

The tequila factory is was named Los Osuna and was actually on the same driveway as the canopy tours. Our guide gave some interesting information tequila and the process of making it. When we arrived, we were shown through the factory which seemed to be pretty much not in use at this time of the season though there were a few vats of agave being distilled. After walking through the factory and seeing the machines used, we were taken to a nice patio where a bar was setup with tequila shots, limes, and salt. The tequila was quite nice and you could have as many shots as you wanted. I did a few and purchased a bottle of the tequila for $30 (it is also sold in a booth in the shops by the ship but I was afraid to ask how much it cost there). I found out when I got home that this brand is not exported, so this was my only chance to get it.

After our “tasting,” we were taken to the newer resort area in Mazatlan for lunch at a place I believe was called La Spectaculaire which appeared to be a dinner/dance venue. The lunch was quite nice and consisted of a tamale, a taco, an enchilada, beans, rice, and dessert. Drinks offered were soda and beer. My dad and I sat with a couple from Arizona and they assured us that this really was quite good, traditional Mexican food (what do we know, we’re from Indiana ;)). I found the food to be very good and given that it caused no later problems, I was happy with the meal.

After eating, we loaded back in the bus and were taken to the Golden Zone for about 45 minutes of shopping before returning to the ship (you could stay and get your own transportation back if you wished). We cut through the shops to the beach and spent most of our time there. The vendors and taxi drivers in the Golden Zone were definitely more aggressive than in other areas and by the end of 45 minutes, I was ready to return. We were dropped off at the shops at the port and needed to load into the trolley to go back to the ship. They were again confiscating liquor but missed my bottle so I kept it instead of giving it up … and no, I didn’t drink it.

A few observations about bus tours:

Here’s my problem with cruise bus tours in general … you always get at least one person out of 40 who does not care about anyone else and try to make the experience worse for everyone else. Thankfully with my experience and skills I can instantly spot most of these people (perhaps a self-fulfilling prophesy, but who knows). The basic gripes however tend to fall into these categories:

1. The person who is always late or otherwise make everyone wait on him/her.
  2. The person/people who decide to change seats in the middle of the tour, usurping someone out of the seats they’ve already claimed.
  3. The loud talkers who make everyone on the bus listen to their in-person or phone conversation.
  4. The kids who are being dragged along on the tour and would rather be anywhere else.

We were lucky enough to have one family take up all 4 positions which was a new record in my book.

The other problem with these tours, in my eyes, is that they always seem to be more about selling you stuff than showing stuff. We didn’t learn a whole lot about leather, but there was a lot we could buy. We weren’t show a lot about tequila, but there was stuff to buy, etc. I enjoyed this tour and would recommend it to those who would like a smaller-town experience and are interested in tequila, but it fell slightly short in the “education” department in favor of the “selling” department.

Puerto Vallarta

I’m sad to say that I don’t have a lot to write about PV. We had planned to go to the Dreams all-inclusive resort for the day in Nuevo Vallarta for $43/pp, but I had a bad headache this day necessitating mucho ibuprofen and making me think that perhaps mixing that with copious all-inclusive drinks may not be the best idea. Instead we just got off the ship, walked around the port area, and returned. The taxi drivers and vendors were once again aggressive and there was a decent amount of shops right off the ship with traditional Mexican items like tequila, leather, hats, and vanilla. On the other side of the ship there was a Walmart and Sam’s Club visible that looked fairly walkable though you had to cross what looked to be a very busy street. The biggest raves I heard on the ship about tours were the dolphin ones offered in PV. This was the stop with the longest time available to do activities off the ship.

Nice review so far!

I was on the PNW cruise with you, and I checked out your pictures.

Awesome sunset pics, how did I miss that?...and I even saw my mom in one of your pictures.........thanks for not getting me in there...:D

Brought back memories. I really enjoyed that cruise, and I would do that itinerary again in a heartbeat.

I am going back on Mariner in January, can't wait to get onboard that beautiful ship again.

Looking forward to the rest of your review....

Archived