Maasdam Cabin BA220 or BA205

ytbcruizer

Hi All,

We are looking for info or pics of Maasdam cabins BA220 or BA205. From the deck plans it looks like the balcony might be extended but it also looks as if there's a stairwell that might cut into cabin square footage.

It also looks as if the back deck is a public space with a hatch right outside the cabin door. see link below

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://res.*****.com/travel/cruise/shipdeck.rvlx?CruiseItineraryID=&ShipID=68&DeckID=20584&printable=1

We stayed in this wonderful cabin for a long cruise from Seattle to Tampa a few years ago to the Amazon. We were on the Veendam but the ships were the same back then. The cabin is perfect. Same cabin size as others in that catagory but a huge balcony. You can see back and out front. The Panama Canal portion was really great viewing. The back deck was shady in the afternoon and very quiet and peaceful just watching the ocean,reading and maybe napping. The stairs go right up to the back pool deck,so convient for us, we love those pools. The extra bonus,right across the hall from the ice machine area. Many hot days on that cruise and we went through many buckets of ice. I would book that cabin again but always seems to be taken by the time I book!

These cabins are changing with the retrofit. The big balcony goes away and the rear outside deck space is turned into more cabins. I don't know when the Maasdam is scheduled for this drydock change. We've stayed in B205 several times on sisterships of the Maasdam. The balcony is bigger and there are some pros to this cabin but also some cons. Happy Sailing!

These cabins are changing with the retrofit. The big balcony goes away and the rear outside deck space is turned into more cabins. I don't know when the Maasdam is scheduled for this drydock change. We've stayed in B205 several times on sisterships of the Maasdam. The balcony is bigger and there are some pros to this cabin but also some cons. Happy Sailing!

Do you have photos you'd be willing to share with other CC'rs on our HAL Staterooms Page(s)?? http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

I may have a photo of my backside (ugh) on the veendam balcony of B205 but I don't know why a photo of a balcony configuration that is gone or will soon be gone is helpful to anyone. Happy Sailing!

1cruiselvr, The people that want them are those going on her before she goes in for refit and also as a comparison to staterooms on her sister ships.

And I do have a few backsides already from other Staterooms:) So what is one more:):)

They'd really be appreciated!!

Joanie

I'll have to search on my home computer for the picture and I'm at work right now (sshh don't tell my boss I'm cruising on this board). If I find it, I'll send it to you. Happy Sailing!

Thank You 1cruiselvr!!!! Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

now get back to work:D

Joanie

• 4 months later...

I wrote directly to Hollanda America asking for the size of the verandah of cabin BA205 and this is the answer.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. The BA 205 verandah on the ms Maasdam is 224 inches long and 82 inches wide, which is larger than the other verandahs on that deck.

Hope this help

• 2 months later...
No Ma'am:(

Joanie

Aw, shucks, Joanie! Well, hopefully someone will come forth...we've just booked BA220 for the January 28, 2011 sailing. I'm sooooooooooooo excited. We're early risers so the noise reported from above won't bother us.

The only thing I'm somewhat concerned about is that it's a connecting cabin...never done that. But, as far as I can see, the good outweighs the bad. And, if my back is still and issue and I have to take my Travelscoot, I should be able to tuck it under the stairs outside.

We were originally booked on the 2/11 and 2/21 Collectors Cruise for 21 days in D420 (an outside cabin), but I've opted to change to this cruise...and am so excited...I love the ABC islands...and initially didn't see this itinerary because I just looked for February!

Frankly, I think this is the best itinerary I've ever seen in the Caribbean!

Aw, shucks, Joanie! Well, hopefully someone will come forth...we've just booked BA220 for the January 28, 2011 sailing. I'm sooooooooooooo excited. We're early risers so the noise reported from above won't bother us.

The only thing I'm somewhat concerned about is that it's a connecting cabin...never done that. But, as far as I can see, the good outweighs the bad. And, if my back is still and issue and I have to take my Travelscoot, I should be able to tuck it under the stairs outside.

We were originally booked on the 2/11 and 2/21 Collectors Cruise for 21 days in D420 (an outside cabin), but I've opted to change to this cruise...and am so excited...I love the ABC islands...and initially didn't see this itinerary because I just looked for February!

Frankly, I think this is the best itinerary I've ever seen in the Caribbean!

Sheila, Instead of just parking your travel scooter under the stairs, where there may not be an electrical outlet for charging it, talk to your stateroom steward and/or the front desk and make arrangements for it to be taken to housekeeping overnight. It will be available within 5 minutes of calling the front desk every morning, they will bring it to you 24/7 and will charge it in housekeeping for you.

I could not get my scooter into my stateroom on our last cruise. We were in VA 8104 on the Westerdam and it was to small to get the scooter in and park at night. I had arranged with our stateroom steward to leave it next to the aft elevator bank where there was an electrical outlet overnight. That worked well for the first night, but the second night I went out at 3 a.m. and my scooter was missing!!!:eek: I called the front desk and they told me that security had taken it (without the key, which I had) to housekeeping as it was a safety hazard in the elevator bank lobby.... They then told me to call them or ask my stateroom steward every night to take it to housekeeping. Mant were the mornings at 3-5 a.m. when I'd call the front desk and within 5 minutes max my scooter was at my door:)

During the day I'd leave the scooter parked outside of our stateroom door with no problem. Just make sure you keep your key with you, not left in the scooter, except when you send it to housekeeping at night.

Connecting cabin will not bother you Sheila. Been in one and had no noise at all:)

You will have a blast on your cruise, no matter where it goes:) I knows you!!!:)

Joanie

• 8 months later...
Sheila, Instead of just parking your travel scooter under the stairs, where there may not be an electrical outlet for charging it, talk to your stateroom steward and/or the front desk and make arrangements for it to be taken to housekeeping overnight. It will be available within 5 minutes of calling the front desk every morning, they will bring it to you 24/7 and will charge it in housekeeping for you.

I could not get my scooter into my stateroom on our last cruise. We were in VA 8104 on the Westerdam and it was to small to get the scooter in and park at night. I had arranged with our stateroom steward to leave it next to the aft elevator bank where there was an electrical outlet overnight. That worked well for the first night, but the second night I went out at 3 a.m. and my scooter was missing!!!:eek: I called the front desk and they told me that security had taken it (without the key, which I had) to housekeeping as it was a safety hazard in the elevator bank lobby.... They then told me to call them or ask my stateroom steward every night to take it to housekeeping. Mant were the mornings at 3-5 a.m. when I'd call the front desk and within 5 minutes max my scooter was at my door:)

During the day I'd leave the scooter parked outside of our stateroom door with no problem. Just make sure you keep your key with you, not left in the scooter, except when you send it to housekeeping at night.

Connecting cabin will not bother you Sheila. Been in one and had no noise at all:)

You will have a blast on your cruise, no matter where it goes:) I knows you!!!:)

Joanie

Thanks, Joanie! I just found your post!!!

My battery detaches and is very lightweight so I can bring it in and charge it in the stateroom at night. I will do as you say re housekeeping if all else fails.

I called HAL today...the doors are 23 1/2" wide. My scoot is 23 1/2" wide. Same "problem" on the Noordam last winter!

The changes you mention are not slated for this April dry dock.

The changes you mention are not slated for this April dry dock.

We are booked for a late April 2011 cruise in cabin #220. The agent at HAL noted that the ship will be in drydock for 10-13 days in March. Does anyone know what the plans are for this service? Will cabins be added to this deck?

• 5 weeks later...

We were in 220 on the Maasdam on the 1/28 sailing. While the view is wonderful and the verandah is large - aft and port - there are some minuses:

1. The housekeeping workroom for the stewards is right across the hall and the two stewards start working, God bless them, at 6 AM. But it does create enough noise to be a "wake up call". ;)

2. Several times, we had cigarette ashes and stomped out butts on our verandah from those smoking at the Sea View Pool above.

3. Also, some noise when guests or crew rearrange the deck chairs at the pool above.

A normal size verandah works perfectly for us. From the extended part of the verandah you can see onto the back deck on the Verandah level.

When I figure out how to post photos, I will do so!

This itinerary was spectaular, by the way. Enough so that we're repeating it again next year. One minor change: St. Thomas instead of Tortola which I like.

When I figure out how to post photos, I will do so!

I am dying to see pics of this stateroom--we will be in it this May. If you don't know how to post the pics, do you know how to email them? If you can email them, I'll post them for you. pizzalady1 at earthlink dot net

Archived