How formal is "formal"

bluejay55

Hi to all,

We are going on our first cruise on the QM2 in December. Can anyone advise on exactly what constitutes formal, semi-formal? Does formal mean tux for me and long ballgown for my wife? Is semi-formal darksuit for me cocktail dress her?

We would like to find out as much about life onboard before we sail, so if anyone has any other snippets of advice we would welcome them.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Hi to all,

We are going on our first cruise on the QM2 in December. Can anyone advise on exactly what constitutes formal, semi-formal? Does formal mean tux for me and long ballgown for my wife? Is semi-formal darksuit for me cocktail dress her?

We would like to find out as much about life onboard before we sail, so if anyone has any other snippets of advice we would welcome them.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Jimmy,

First, welcome to Cunard. You have it just right - formal means black tie by custom, although you will see gentlemen in dark suits, which is acceptable according to the dress code guidance. For ladies, you will see ballgowns, but I would say any "better" dress of floor length will be more than enough (long skirts, even dressy evening pant suits are seen), no need for hoops and whalebone!

Semi-formal - that means men wear jacket and tie (suits or sports coats, although I would lean to sport coats for elegant casual, rather than semi-formal). For ladies, cocktail dress is it, or skirts with a dressy top.

I'm sure others will be along before long to correct/amend/dispute the above.:)

OK, you've now covered tips and dress code. Want to ask about smoking?:D

Hi

I am, sure you will get loads of answers regarding this !!!!

As someone who has been on the QM2 many times, I would say first check the dress code as on the Cunard website which states

Formal Black tie or formal dark suit for men. Evening dress or other formal attire for women.

Informal:(semi formal )

Jacket and tie for men. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for women. No jeans.

While it might sound daunting , just relax and unless you disregard it completely you will love it.

For men it is easy, many wear a tux on formal evenings with or without a formal dress shirt. Some wear a dark suit with a bow tie. Either is ok although there are more and more tux's especially in the Grills.For semi formal a dark suit and tie is fine.

For women - yes a long dress is nice , I only have one which I dress up with different shrugs and jewelry but otherwise I wear nice shorter dresses for both nights ( like I was going to a posh restaurant or club) and for semi formal sometimes smart trousers and dressy tops. There is a wide range dresses that people wear and very few I would call ball gowns. So many dresses can be 'glamed up' with costume jewelry and accessories.

It is great fun dressing up and we enjoy it. There is nothing like being on board the QM2 and I am sure you will have a great time what ever you wear!!!

Ruth :)

This is one of the reasons I love Cunard - the chance to dress up. QM2 is one of the few places I can wear a full length tafetta evening gown and not look overdressed. Having said that you do not have to wear floor length and many people are seen in short dersses. Personally I keep short cocktail dresses / skirts for semi-formal evenings.

QM2 and December....your wife will know of that "long frock" she has always fancied but wondered if she will ever have any place to wear it? She now has!

You can change "long frock" for 3/4 length frock or even fabulous evening trousers and top, it won't matter. Dress up and love it!

I love the opportunity to dress up and have a selection of about 6 formal full length dresses. However - for the most special night I have a stunning 50's style silver dress with a full skirt, just below knee length. It is waaay to dressy for cocktail so I usually save it for the World Club cocktail party night.

Black tie is not formal.

Just for the record.

On Cunard it is considered formal:

Formal: Black tie or formal dark suit for gentlemen. Evening dress or other formal attire for ladies. (A range of gentleman’s formal wear is available to hire or purchase onboard ship).

Black tie is not formal.

Just for the record.

Only white tie is formal? Is that right? While for QM2 black tie is good. With black tie as 'eveneing wear' and white tie as absolute formal - state dinners and such. Oh, I have to say, I think this stuff is actually much fun, and do appreciate the advice.

Jim

Only white tie is formal? Is that right? While for QM2 black tie is good. With black tie as 'eveneing wear' and white tie as absolute formal - state dinners and such. Oh, I have to say, I think this stuff is actually much fun, and do appreciate the advice.

Jim

In that charming a dusty world of 75 year old etiquette books, white tie is formal, black tie is semi-formal, and a white dinner jacket means you are the washroom attendant, handing out towel and brushing the gentlemen's suits.

A more modern interpretation considers white tie ultra formal, black tie formal, and a white DJ as semi-formal, but only in the tropic, or at the country club during summer in the Americas.

Now, on Cunard, Black tie, a white DJ, or a dark suit are all considered formal. Purists resist the white DJ outside of the tropics, but you will see many even on a winter transatlantic.

I do have a white DJ, but I follow a simple rule which is I wear it only when officers are wearing dress whites, which is only on semi-formal nights. But that's just my preference - lots of folks wear them on formal nights.

Jeez I'm glad I'm not a bloke - I always thought bunging on a suit was "simples" but seems that it's more complex than choosing an evening dress.
God no, it's much harder for women, what with trying to differentiate between semi-formal and elegant casual. A guy can get by with a suit, two shirts and a couple of ties and satisfy the dress code every night, without looking like he's wearing the same thing.

I really only bother with a Tux and DJ because I have them, so I might as well get some use out of them.

Having just got back from our first trip on QM2 I saw plenty of ladies in long gowns and also slightly shorter dresses for formal nights.

I did take long gowns for the formal nights and enjoyed wearing them. I bought mine from Debenhams when they had a sale on and got a good price for all three.

It is really up to you, just take what you would feel comfortable in. Have a great time I did. Loved it all.

Archived