Trinkets for Cruise members

I was reading on here that there are some people who give trinkets to crew members. I think that is an awesome idea to show how much you appreciate them along with the tips.

I know when the daughter and I went to so you think you can dance we had back stage passes and brought small stuffed animals and that was a hit.

Since we live in a farming belt, and John Deere is a biggy here would items with the logo be okay. Or I am up to suggestions

Thank you in advance

Sorry to burst your bubble Perfect Starnger, but you don't know the mind of all crew personnel. What you said may well be true for any number of them, however unless you know of a survey of cruise crew, it's only a guess.

illinoismomof4, if I were to do this I would keep the gifts small in size and easily stored, shipped or mailed. If the a recipient doesn't want it, they can dispose of it themselves. I would also, not use those in place of extra tips or favorable comments.

Sorry to to OP, I am going to have to agree with the previous poster - the itty bitty cabins they have just doesn't allow the space for knick-knacks. I believe they share a cabin too so that makes it even worse...

I did hear about one suggestion that might work as an aside to cash - phone cards ! It costs a forture for the crew to call home and they are without contact with their family for weeks/months. I was thinking they might appreciate being able to call home. Takes up no space too ! Of course, if you give them cash, then they can purchase the cards themselves but if I were to give an "above and beyond" appreciation gift, I thought this might be cool. I assume they are available in most ports and when the crew swings by there the next week, they can call home.

Julie

Hi! I think you are very kind for considering the crew. When someone asks John Heald about trinkets, he always suggests something small and specific to your hometown - keychains, pins, etc.

I think John Deere logo stuff would be fine as well. Thank you for being so thoughtful. :)

Sorry to to OP, I am going to have to agree with the previous poster - the itty bitty cabins they have just doesn't allow the space for knick-knacks. I believe they share a cabin too so that makes it even worse...

I did hear about one suggestion that might work as an aside to cash - phone cards ! It costs a forture for the crew to call home and they are without contact with their family for weeks/months. I was thinking they might appreciate being able to call home. Takes up no space too ! Of course, if you give them cash, then they can purchase the cards themselves but if I were to give an "above and beyond" appreciation gift, I thought this might be cool. I assume they are available in most ports and when the crew swings by there the next week, they can call home.

Julie

Even phone cards purchased by others are of limited value. Crewmen learn quickly which cards are valid for calling their home country and which ones provide the best value (not all phone cards are created equal).

I really wonder where this desire to act like the Europeans with the natives comes from. :confused:

When someone asks John Heald about trinkets, he always suggests something small and specific to your hometown - keychains, pins, etc.

I think John Deere logo stuff would be fine as well. Thank you for being so thoughtful. :)

I still don't think they want any of that stuff.

.....was besides leaving a better tip during the my B2B's, I also left a bottle of liquor along with it. Was that an incorrect thing to do?

:confused:

wasiii

Well at least you didn't have to lug it home! I assume you bought the liquor in port and it was part of your allowance.

From what I have read...the crew likes to drink heavily so it was probably appreciated...even if they had to trade it for a brand that they prefer.

People probably wouldn't think of bringing gifts to hotel maids.....why is it so cute to give them to the cabin stewards? :confused:

Sure they'll smile and thank you but they're probably thinking "I don't have room for this stuff...more junk to throw out. :rolleyes:"

If you want to give something, give an extra tip.

I think it is patronizing, and treating adults like little children.

Do you think that the past guest pins that Platinum guests get are patronizing too? Like Carnival is treating their platinum members like children? :eek:

Seems like a double standard to me.

Do you think that the past guest pins that Platinum guests get are patronizing too? Like Carnival is treating their platinum members like children? :eek:

Seems like a double standard to me.

Apples & oranges really. The staff is there to earn money. They don't have room for trinkets plain & simple.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's not an awesome idea. The crew live in tiny quarters and don't want or have the space for trinkets. To show your appreciation mention them on the comment card and give $$. That's all they want is cash.

Ditto, perfect answer. Nothing says thank you like cold hard cash and the comment cards are very important to them also, promotions, bonus and extra days off are the rewards for positive feedback from their passangers.

Cash...anything else is trying to convince yourself that they really really want to be friends for life, etc, etc..

Try giving your cabbie a trinket or your local bartender see what they say as soon as you get out of ear shot.

I guess it goes with putting junk all over your cabin door. Do the same people do that at hotels too??

Archived