Live ammo....under cruise ship terminal!!!

Cruisers from WA

Hi There,

The good point is the divers did find the stuff.

As US cities never got bombed, shelled the way us here in Europe did in WW2 you good folks are not used to finding old ammo,

I still have on site that has markers on it saying danger UXB,

there is so much that the bomb clearing lads are not going to clear it they are bringing in a flail tank to clear the ground.

Fishing boats still catch mines from time to time here, now you would not one of them bobbing about in the sea with cruise ships about.

yours Shogun

Back in '87, I lived in St. Pete FL and a backhoe operator in Tierre Verde park (immediately adjacent the shipping lanes for cruise and other ships leaving Tampa) hit an unexploded 500 lb. bomb dropped back when the place was a WWII Air Corp. bombing range. The authorities isolated the thing and detonated it at a set time. It shook my apt. building 2-3 miles away!

In Europe, they have 'junk' like that percolating up through the dirt on old WWI and WWII battlefields... Once in a while, some of it goes off and hurts someone.

Hi There,

The good point is the divers did find the stuff.

As US cities never got bombed, shelled the way us here in Europe did in WW2 you good folks are not used to finding old ammo,

there is so much that the bomb clearing lads are not going to clear it they are bringing in a flail tank to clear the ground.

Fishing boats still catch mines from time to time here, now you would not one of them bobbing about in the sea with cruise ships about.

yours Shogun

Nobody is used to docking cruise ships on top of them.

....As US cities never got bombed, shelled the way us here in Europe did in WW2 you good folks are not used to finding old ammo,

yours Shogun

Well, ashore at the FT Belvoir proving grounds, and in a few other places, they are still finding a few UXBs (great TV series, BTW). Nothing like Europe, though.

Just to keep everything in perspective here, what was found was not UXBs (unexploded bombs). The news article said the largest found was 90mm - or 3.5 inch ammunition. It's not to be trifled with (I was a mount safety officer training gun crews with 3 inch ammo) but not quite a "bomb." As a local I would feel much safer sitting in a dingy (or on a cruise ship) above that ammo than I would driving from my house to the cruise pier.

Clean it up? Absolutely! - Worry? Not me, thank you.

Archived