Bermuda Holiday - July, 2011 and Cruise Plans

jrj972

We booked a cruise to Bermuda on the NCL Gem for the week of July 24, 2011 and just found out this is the week of 2 public holidays...

Emancipation Day (first day of Cup Match)Thursday, July 28Somer's Day (second day of Cup Match)Friday, July 29

While reading to gain more knowledge on these holidays, it states that most everything in Bermuda is closed for these two days and that the public beaches, etc. are filled with residents, which makes for extremely crowded venues and frustrating tourists...

Does anyone have insight concerning these holidays and whether or not we should change our vacation plans and steer clear of Bermuda during this week?

Any insight is greatly appreciated...

Thanks much!

Cup Match is a lovely time to visit Bermuda, if you're really interested in learning more about our culture and sampling some of our cuisine. Not much will be open in Hamilton but I imagine the shops in Dockyard will remain open.

Unfortunately, yes, the beaches will be crowded but if you avoid the more popular ones, like Horseshoe, you should be able to find a bit of sand to relax on. Some Bermudians (such as yours truly) will be taking advantage of the extra long weekend and taking a short trip overseas.

If you are interested, please do attend the Cup Match cricket match. There is a special section in the bleachers dedicated to the tourists that has locals on hand to explain the game (and share a few beverages) - it's a great way to interact with locals!

It's also the only time we allow gambling on the island but to gamble, you have to attend Cup Match. There is only one type of gambling game played called Crown and Anchor and it works like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_and_anchor. Very simple to learn, just have lots of small bills on you when you go ;).

There is also an abundance of local cuisine there to be tried. Homemade fish chowder, homemade mussel pie, shark hash, homemade rum swizzle, etc. Lots of different local foods which can be purchased from various vendors who don't own restaurants, just Bermudians who have been making delicious food with recipes handed down from generation to generation. Trust me, it's better than anything you'll find in a restaurant.

Don't let one of our biggest public holidays discourage you from visiting. There's so much you'll experience during Cup Match that you just wouldn't get to experience during any other visit!

Hi Sousak78! :)

Thanks so much for your response... I was almost in tears yesterday, however, after reading your post, excitement has returned :) I really appreciate you taking time to point out things that will take place during our visit... we will stay clear of Horseshoe Bay and try Tobacco Bay, Chaplin Bay or Warwick... do you mind if I send questions your way while we're planning our time in Bermuda?

Blessings to you!

JJ

For your planning purposes, I just want to mention that the buses and ferries have reduced schedules on holidays. Also, there maybe a reduced number of taxis available for hire, and for the fares, there is a 25% surcharge for holiday travel.

Since you mentioned Tobacco Bay, according to the 2010 summer ferry schedule I have, there is no Dockyard - St George ferry on holidays listed.

But, with a cruise ship(s) in port, there could be special buses or ferries running from the Dockyard not included in the schedule.

SBtS

Hi SBtS :)

Thanks so much for the Ferry info... I was just looking at Ferry schedules and trying to make sense of it all :(

For beaches, looks like we'll head to Horseshoe Bay and Shelly Bay...

Question/Clarificaton: There is a Ferry we can board at the Dockyard that will take us to Hamilton, yes? We're going to spend Wednesday in Hamilton, since most things will be closed Thursday and Friday...

Thanks much!

Blessings,

JJ

Hi SBtS :)

Thanks so much for the Ferry info... I was just looking at Ferry schedules and trying to make sense of it all :(

For beaches, looks like we'll head to Horseshoe Bay and Shelly Bay...

Question/Clarificaton: There is a Ferry we can board at the Dockyard that will take us to Hamilton, yes? We're going to spend Wednesday in Hamilton, since most things will be closed Thursday and Friday...

Thanks much!

Blessings,

JJ

Absolutely. It's about a 20 to 25 minute ride on the express ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton.

Yes, there is a ferry that you can get from Dockyard straight into Hamilton. Cup Match is taking place in Somerset this year, which is at the end of the island where you are docked. Sometimes, they will run a special ferry direct to St Georges to move fans up to this end to watch the game. No guarantees though!

SBtS is right, during holidays the public transport schedules are usually reduced but for the last few holidays I have found that if there are a few cruise ships in, they will run a regular schedule on the more popular routes (Dockyard-Hamilton ferry, the buses that run by the beaches and to St. Georges, etc.). With a few thousand people wanting to visit the beaches and the forts - makes sense to keep the regular schedule!

Feel free to ask me as many questions as you like. Only thing I cannot do is recommend vendors or establishments because I am a resident (I've already had a slap on the wrists once from Cruise Critic for doing so - oops!) but, no worries, there are loads of non-residents, such as iheart and SbtS, who will be able to guide you in the right direction and whose advice is pretty spot on.

Thanks so much for ALL the helpful information and nuggets of knowledge to ensure a memorable time in Bermuda :)

Have another queston :) I've heard of Island Nights that take place at 7 pm at Snorkel Bay and have read it is a huge beach party... how is this party? is this something kids would enjoy? is it worth attending?

Thanks much!

Have a great weekend :)

JJ

How old are your children? If your children are youngish, anything after 4;30 probably wouldn't be appropriate.

This taken from Bermuda Attractions.com

Following are the current schedules during the summer season. Snorkel Park Bermuda is usually closed during November through April.

9am - 4pm (Monday - Friday)

There is an admission fee of $5. Children under 12 are free. The park offers free snorkeling lessons, sandcastle competitions, beach volleyball, pick up games, steel pan drum performances and other activities.

9am - 4pm (Saturday)

Admission is free for all. There are free beach activities organized by Bermuda's Department of Tourism.

11am - 7pm (Sunday)

Admission fee is $10. Children under 12 are free. It's a family fun day with live bands, guest performances, water sports, beach games etc.

Happy Hour: 4:30pm - 6:30 (Monday - Saturday) is the happy hour at the bar and the park entry is free for all during this time.

Night Club: 11pm - 3.00am (Mon, Wed, Thu, Sat). Entry fee is $10 on weekdays. On Saturday, the entry fee varies depending on special events or concerts. You will need to show ID proof of your age above 18 years.

This is taken from their website.

iheartbda,

How are ya?

Our little one is 8 years old, so I think we will just chill on the ship at night, especially since we have full days of activities :)

Thanks much for the info!

Blessings! :)

JJ

We booked a cruise to Bermuda on the NCL Gem for the week of July 24, 2011 and just found out this is the week of 2 public holidays...

Emancipation Day (first day of Cup Match)Thursday, July 28Somer's Day (second day of Cup Match)Friday, July 29

While reading to gain more knowledge on these holidays, it states that most everything in Bermuda is closed for these two days and that the public beaches, etc. are filled with residents, which makes for extremely crowded venues and frustrating tourists...

Does anyone have insight concerning these holidays and whether or not we should change our vacation plans and steer clear of Bermuda during this week?

Any insight is greatly appreciated...

Thanks much!

Where did you locate those dates? On the website that "iheartbda" posted the dates are listed as 7/29 - 7/31. Anyone know which ones are correct?

Emancipation Day (first day of cup matches) is the Thursday preceding the first Monday of August (the first Monday in August is August 1). The Thursday preceding that is July 28.

Somers Day (second day of cup matches) is the Friday preceding the first Monday of August (the first Monday in August is August 1). The Friday preceding that is July 29.

source: http://www.bermuda-online.org/pubhols.htm

SBtS

• 3 months later...

Hi Wahoowa,

Since Sousak is on a roll on this thread, I'll let her answer your how to get there questions.

I'll just say, about taking your mini sports fans - H$LL YES!!!

It's cricket like you won't see it anywhere else - certainly not stuffy ol' England.

Bermuda Cup Match Cricket is SPECIAL - -please, please go.

(Come on - St. George's for the Cup!)

You will for sure...

Have Fun!

We were planning to go to HSB on Thursday but now I am worried it might be crowded.

Does anyone know the bus or ferry schedule to go from Dockyard to Elbow Beach?

I mean the holiday bus schedule that is....

How much will it cost by taxi?

Thanks

We were planning to go to HSB on Thursday but now I am worried it might be crowded.

Does anyone know the bus or ferry schedule to go from Dockyard to Elbow Beach?

I mean the holiday bus schedule that is....

How much will it cost by taxi?

Thanks

You can find the schedule for the #7 bus, which is the route that would take you from Dockyard to Elbow Beach here (just be sure you're looking at the Hamilton-Dockyard schedule, not Hamilton-Barnes Corner):

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&cached=true&parentname=CommunityPage&parentid=1&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252&PageID=463

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed to Bermuda in June. Every Wed eve in Hamilton--street fair (but it rained and was cancelled while we were there) Every Thurs eve--one is held in the Dockyard--food and jewelry and trinkets for sale. No charge to walk in the area and free entertainment there. We took a tour the first day and the cab driver was GraceAnn--fabulous. We had booked through the ship and the tour was full so they arranged for 11 of us to get a private tour (NCL Gem). Have a great time. We loved it.

I'm here in Bermuda right now and they are in the middle of some super plans. Sousak was spot on with her info. I heard that Heritage Night on Thurs (1st day of Cup Match) will have the look and feel of actual Cup Match.... Crown & Anchor tables (not allowed to play for money) but you will play for prizes. Lots of Cup Match food...music..heard they were tring to have the actual game on live big screen television.. so if you want to learn what the locals are geared up for this might be your oportunity. Regarding the opening of shops etc Dockyard is open as usual. There will be some open in St. Georges (was there yesterday and one of the sales ladies told me she will be open). Hope this helps

Thanks Maple Sugar! However, I would like to make one correction on my original post - Cup Match is actually in St Georges this year, not Somerset as I had originally noted (shows what a cricket fan I am :p :o).

So, if you can, please get down to St. Georges and check out Cup Match! I won't be there, I'm getting 'off de rock' for the long weekend!

Archived