All Inclusive

babymaxie

I heard that their cruises are all inclusive. Meaning that it includes air fare, hotel the night before and the night after, and all drinks. Is that true? :confused: What else does it include? What is usually the price range for all of this?

PG usually runs a "special" where air from LAX is included. If you don't want the air they take $1200 off the fare. Presuming you take the air then they do include a few extras. We did not go directly to the ship so I do not know if transport from the airport to the dock is included, but I believe it is. If you pay extra from air from your home city to LAX and you cannot make the flight that PG wants you on then they will fly you to LAX one day early and put you up in a hotel at the airport. Everything on the ship is included including drinks and tips. Shore excursions are extra.

They serve wine at every dinner that is included but they have alternate wines that they recommend paired with the food which is extra. At the end of the cruise they offer a 3 hour Tahiti tour, then they drop you at the RAdisson for a day room and then they bring you to the airport, all included.

PG usually runs a "special" where air from LAX is included. If you don't want the air they take $1200 off the fare. Presuming you take the air then they do include a few extras. We did not go directly to the ship so I do not know if transport from the airport to the dock is included, but I believe it is. If you pay extra from air from your home city to LAX and you cannot make the flight that PG wants you on then they will fly you to LAX one day early and put you up in a hotel at the airport. Everything on the ship is included including drinks and tips. Shore excursions are extra.

They serve wine at every dinner that is included but they have alternate wines that they recommend paired with the food which is extra. At the end of the cruise they offer a 3 hour Tahiti tour, then they drop you at the RAdisson for a day room and then they bring you to the airport, all included.

When you say that drinks are included, does that mean ALL types of drinks or some drinks? I like those fancy drinks, that is why I am asking. Also, would the beverages in the fridge in the room be included on "drinks included"? I am just wondering if the cost of the whole package is worth the cruise. What kind of price range are the excursions?

IMO "worth" is too subjective a term....

What do you mean by fancy drinks? If you mean JW Blue Label it isnt included neither is Dom,Veuve, Tattinger or Bollinger I think the last time they had Nicolas Feuillette included. I believe that some of the premium Vodkas like Grey Goose are included.

Wines too are fairly run of the mill but quite decent unless you are into the more expensive varieties. If you dont like wines you could have bar drinks at lunch or any other time you choose. If you take a recipe of a drink you like the bartenders will mix one for you.

The fridge usually has pop water and beers but you can ask for drinks/wine from room service. We just find it easier to have a drink served by a favourite bartender as the room service doesnt always know how to mix drinks.

One year I had called room service for freshly squeezed OJ and they advised me that they were all out. About 5 minutes later there was a knock on my door - they had squeezed me a couple of glasses! Another year I had asked for a shrimp cocktail in the room and they had mistakenly told me it was not included. The next day I received a bottle of Veuve with their apologies - only caviar was not included but shrimp cocktails were. When I mentioned to Maitre Miki that I missed the almond croissants they used to have they were waiting for me every morning after that day. This is why "worth" is a subjective term.

Excursions have a whole range of prices - it depends on what you want to do. Some people are now doing these privately as they are cheaper ( wasnt the case previously).

Hope this helps. Although the PG is more or less a one location ship after you feel the love FP just calls you back.

Perhaps the term "all-inclusive" is where some of the confusion begins. Normally for cruises, that has been interpreted to mean that drinks and tips are included. All inclusive resorts (like Couples and Sandals) would also fall under this category. While you can certainly purchase a package that includes air and ground transportation to and from the cruise ship or resort, that has not been the traditional interpretation.

Most luxury cruises are all-inclusive by this definition. However even here there are differences. Crystal Cruises, certainly among the top cruise lines in food and service does not include tips. River cruises, many of which would not be considered luxury, include shore excursions as well as drinks and tips.

In other words there are probably as many permutations as you can think of.

Getting back to the Paul Gauguin and your question about "fancy drinks", my answer would have simply been, YES. When I think fancy as it pertains to Polynesia, I would be thinking Mai Tai, Navy Grog, Singapore Sling, Long Island Ice Tea, etc. Those drinks are all included on the Paul Gauguin. But you have already seen that someone else interpreted your question differently.

As to the value of what the Paul Gauguin offers, that would depend on what is important to you. Comparing the Princess to the Paul Gauguin, the food and service on the PG are FAR SUPERIOR. If you drink a lot, the difference in prices could be much closer than you might think. If food and service are not quite as important to you as they might be to others, and what interests you are activities aside from those related to the water (diving and snorkeling), then I would consider the Princess as a real alternative.

I do have a review of my recent cruise Feb. 9th posted where you can get a day-to-day flavor of some of the pros and cons from my perspective.

Hope this all helps.

Archived