Bringing Alcohol on board???

Machforce1

Dave (Dakrewser), I was reading a response you wrote to another first time cruiser which you said it was okay to bring wine on board a Holland America ship. I'm not disputing that at all, but I thought bringing alcohol on board was strictly prohibited on HAL ships? I've heard that you can't get anything on board without having it confiscated. Have they changed the rules or am I confused? HAL sent us a bunch of pre-cruise literature and I could have swore that I read alcohol could not be brought aboard. :confused:

Dave (Dakrewser), I was reading a response you wrote to another first time cruiser which you said it was okay to bring wine on board a Holland America ship. I'm not disputing that at all, but I thought bringing alcohol on board was strictly prohibited on HAL ships? I've heard that you can't get anything on board without having it confiscated. Have they changed the rules or am I confused? HAL sent us a bunch of pre-cruise literature and I could have swore that I read alcohol could not be brought aboard. :confused:
I'm not Dave but perhaps you should reread their policy, this time with both eyes open. It can be found at http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=obpolicies&topic=alcohol

I'm sure what Jim meant (in the kindest way possible) was the opening sentence to their policy.

Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

You'll be fine bringing wine and bubbly aboard, just no 'hard' liquor.

TinaLee

I'll cheerfully help you out! We just got back from the Zui and yes, liquor isn't allowed to be brought onboard. We carried a case of wine with us, for in cabin and also dining room usage with a corkage. They searched the entire box to make sure there wasn't any liquor in it. They had no problem with the wine. I really don't get the difference..but that's another thread!!

I'll cheerfully help you out! We just got back from the Zui and yes, liquor isn't allowed to be brought onboard. We carried a case of wine with us, for in cabin and also dining room usage with a corkage. They searched the entire box to make sure there wasn't any liquor in it. They had no problem with the wine. I really don't get the difference..but that's another thread!!

I don't see the difference either. Some people carefully pack spirits in their checked luggage and have not had a problem. Not that I would break HAL's rules or anything :) You can also purchase spirits from Room Service for an inflated price, but it is nice to have a drink pre dinner out on the balcony.

Mac,

We just returned from the Feb 13 sailing of the Westerdam and this is what we did:

Since we arrived 2 days early and stayed at the Hyatt Pierr 66, we bought our liquor in Ft. Lauderdale and then wrapped it up well in bubble wrap that we had brought from home. On sail away day, we packed the liquor in our suitcases and left our luggage outside our rooms for the HAL bus transport to take to the ship along with us.

At embarkation, I had soda and tonic water with my carry on luggage and I had no problem. But, there were some people that we met immediately on board in the elevator that were laughing with excitement because their booze had made it through the security check point. Also, we spoke to a few others that also were able to get liquor through as well, so I can't explain the differences. All I know is that my Saphire Gin was fine in my suitcase when my luggage was delivered to our cabin and my partner's scotch survived as well.

Am I suggesting you do what we did? No. I'm only letting you and others know that we were able to get around some of the rules.

Count me among those who think the differentiation between wine/champagne and alcohol/beer is a crock. I'll continue to back a bottle or two (plastic liters) in my checked baggage (sealed in large ziploc bags) and enjoy a drink in my room. Don't take it out to public areas and still spend plenty in the bars onboard, but I'm not gonna pay $28 for a bottle I can buy in St Thomas for $10. Particularly as long as this disparity in alcohol policy exists re wine/alcohol.

Count me among those who think the differentiation between wine/champagne and alcohol/beer is a crock. I'll continue to back a bottle or two (plastic liters) in my checked baggage (sealed in large ziploc bags) and enjoy a drink in my room. Don't take it out to public areas and still spend plenty in the bars onboard, but I'm not gonna pay $28 for a bottle I can buy in St Thomas for $10. Particularly as long as this disparity in alcohol policy exists re wine/alcohol.

I'm totally with you on this. For me, its not so much the cost difference as it is the availability of what I like. My favorite scotch simply is not available through HAL. Since I'm spending a ton of money on my cruise already, I dont have much guilt in smuggling a bottle of it in my suitcase. If HAL would sell it, I wouldnt smuggle it. The bottom line is I am not going to be on my hard earned vacation without my favorite scotch. We'll still spend plenty on booze in the bars.

Tim

cru1s1ing: Stool pigeon!! lol

Hey you do what you gotta do to have the kind of vacation that you want. When we on our 2 previous HAL cruises, this alcohol rule was not in effect. As soon as the gift shop opened after leaving Ft.Lauderdale, we bought it and brought it back to our cabins to enjoy drinks on the veranda. That didn't stop us from spending $$ at the bars, it just made for a nicer time that we could have it when we wanted. For us, it was not so much a matter of cost/money, it was a matter of convenience.....although the money matter is a valid concern.

Only wine is allowed.

As to the various smugglers and "what can I get away with" people, you agreed - in a binding contract - to abide by the rules of the cruise line. Figure out what the total costs are of getting yourself back home after being thrown off the ship in Tortola. Then decide if that "special" Scotch is really worth it.

Wine yes, beer no. The policy changed at least a year ago. Not exactly sure when.

Whats the difference between wine and beer? I guess HAL feels that wine will generally be served more with dinners and subject to a corkage fee.

Tim

Figure out what the total costs are of getting yourself back home after being thrown off the ship in Tortola. Then decide if that "special" Scotch is really worth it.

I have, and yes, to me, the risk is worth it. I guess the other question one must ask, is whether HAL is willing to do that to a paying customer who is likely to book a Cat S suite at least once a year for the next 40 or so years? If they are, well then I'll have to find another cruiseline to spend my money on.

Tim

I'm totally with you on this. For me, its not so much the cost difference as it is the availability of what I like. My favorite scotch simply is not available through HAL. Since I'm spending a ton of money on my cruise already, I dont have much guilt in smuggling a bottle of it in my suitcase. If HAL would sell it, I wouldnt smuggle it. The bottom line is I am not going to be on my hard earned vacation without my favorite scotch. We'll still spend plenty on booze in the bars.

Tim

So you'll be bringing that smuggled 'I can't get it on HAL' scotch into the lounges? Drinking it outside of your room? If that is the only scotch you drink, and you reference you'll still spend plenty on booze in the bars.....you plan on drinking your scotch in the bar? Or maybe you'll be drinking something else in the bar while your companion(s) have a drink, as well? So there is another liquor you like besides your 'HAL doesn't sell it" brand?

DH drinks scotch....lots of our friends do. While they really like Johnnie Walker Green..... they find a choice of other decent scotches to choose from when that it not available. HAL has plenty of fine scotches.

IMO....The rules are not just for some of us. They are for all of us. You agreed to those rules when you purchased a cruise from HAL.

dakrewser:

I agree that indeed a contract has been signed and in signing said contract, rules/regulations need to be followed. I won't argue that point, because there is no room for argument or debate.

What I am willing to debate is the extreme case you have stated of a cruise line dropping someone off at port because they were caught for having snuck booze on board, oooooooooo, bad, bad people. Do you have a particular case that you are citing to make that statement? Have you documentation from a cruise line actually removing passengers because they brought booze on board? Can you honestly think that a cruise line would actually throw someone off the ship because they have their own booze on board? I think not. jaguarstyper is correct......and we too have paid to stay in S Suites each year......in this situation, at best, I would think the booze would be taken away and that would be that.

Yes, we broke the terms of the contract, sure, but I seriously doubt we would have been removed from the ship over an "infraction" like that.

There seems to be three ship rules that (I read over and over) on this board that people justify and often encourage others to break:

Bringing alcohol other than wine or champagne on board

Putting babies or children in the pool who are not potty trained

Not following the dress codes on the nights they are requested

Simple rules that HAL has asked us to follow as guests on their ship--I don't understand the boasting and whining of adults who don't consider their actions as pure defiance. Just because you pay for a cabin doesn't mean you CAN HAVE YOUR WAY.:mad:

sail7seas, you are correct, HAL has many fine scotches on board. Alas, not the one that I like best. I do not bring it to other parts of the ship and only drink in our cabin or on our verandah. I would never, ever bring it to a public room. I also have plenty of drinks in the bars, but not scotch. I also enjoy martinis, wine and other spirits. My bar bill on our last cruise was well over $1000. I also enjoy treating my friends and aquaintences to drinks in the bars.

I contacted HAL well in advance of our trip to see if they could provide a bottle of what I like. I would have gladly paid whatever price they charged. They could not, or possibly would not do it.

The bottom line here is that no one, and I do mean NO ONE is losing anything or being harmed by me bringing a bottle of my favorite scotch onboard.

I hesitate to write this because I know that tastes are very subjective and everyone likes what they like. But, with all due respect to your DH, Johnnie Walker Green label is no substitute for what I like. And, I'm sure finding a suitable substitute for it is not a problem as its a very typical mass produced "single malt" scotch. I have no desire to get into a debate with anyone on these boards about scotch whiskey. It would serve no useful purpose.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone.

Tim

I don't think they'll kick you off the ship for trying to smuggle a measly little bottle of liquor aboard. That's a bit extreme. I've heard others say that they simply confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise. Big deal. It's worth a shot.

Well friends, the tone of this thread is getting to a point where I think, well...lets just say that I'm done. I would love to say more, much, much more........like

No one is encouraging anyone to do anything............or the differences of bringing your own booze on board for private use/fun on your veranda and a non potty trained kid in a pool.......

Enough for me!! I'll wait for another thread for something that everyone can agree and smile about.

Para mi, no mas, lo siento

nos vemos!

No one is encouraging anyone to do anything............or the differences of bringing your own booze on board for private use/fun on your veranda and a non potty trained kid in a pool.......

So where do you draw the line between the rules everyone should follow and those we can break if they inconvenience us?

So where do you draw the line between the rules everyone should follow and those we can break if they inconvenience us?

Dave,

I know your a smart guy and can clearly see the difference between these two examples. I also think you know where the line is.

Have you ever exceeded the speed limit?

Tim

Dave,

I know your a smart guy and can clearly see the difference between these two examples. I also think you know where the line is.

Have you ever exceeded the speed limit?

Probably. Certainly I've been ticketed for doing so. But did I say to myself "hmm, the speed limit here is 40 MPH, but I think I'll drive 60."? No, I didn't. I could have been jailed for exceeding the speed limit, fortunately (for me) I wasn't. You could be tossed off the boat for violating the contract. It's a chance I'd ratherr not take. But while you can "see the difference" others might feel the diapers in the pool rule was a needless hastle (and others have, here on this board). Who, then, decides which rules should be obeyed and which can be ignored?

Archived