Souvernirs

We are going on an Australia/New Zealand cruise. What popular souvenirs did you bring back home from your cruise?

I think we need a little more information...are you talking about a souvenir for yourself or little presents to take back for friends and family?

For yourself...UGH Boots in NZ (sheepskin boots) you can get them in Australia as well. Or maybe some jewellery made from Australian opal.

For friends..I always travel overseas with little gold plated kangaroo pins to give away..they always seem very popular..calendars, coasters.

Am I on the right track?

There are cute bay lamb stuffed toys, Maori carvings, sheepskin rugs and tea towles are always east to send/pack. Also there's a special NZ shell (blue - green and starts with "P") that is used a lot in jewellery. Can anyone help with the name of it?

If you get to Napier there's a shop called O'Possum that has possum skin items as well as other NZ souveniers.

There are cute bay lamb stuffed toys, Maori carvings, sheepskin rugs and tea towles are always east to send/pack. Also there's a special NZ shell (blue - green and starts with "P") that is used a lot in jewellery. Can anyone help with the name of it?

If you get to Napier there's a shop called O'Possum that has possum skin items as well as other NZ souveniers.

Anna, it is called Paua Shell - from Abalone.

For gifts and souvenirs - It comes as jewellery in a range of prices in posh jewellery shops and open air markets, which are good for small gifts. It is also used to decorate wooden objects. There is also Greenstone, which is sometimes called New Zealand or Maori Jade - pendants are popular and portable. There is a wonderful exhibit in Te Papa Museum of Greenstone ornaments, weapons and ceremonial objects. NZ abounds in craft markets - especially on cruise days - carved and knitted or woven goods are worth looking for as local souvenirs.

Colleen

Something to look out for in NZ. The traditional Fish Hook is available , ranging from very expensive Greenstone carvings, paua (pronounced pawa),bone, used to be whale bone but today more likely to be be cattle bone, stainless steel with paua inserts and plastic ones from China.

Hei Matau: Maori Fish Hook Necklaces

Hei matau are traditionally carved bone or jade Maori fish hook pendants. The indigenous people of New Zealand, The Maori, wore the Hei matau necklaces as a talisman during their travels.

These highly stylized fish hooks represent strength, determination, good luck, peace, good health, prosperity and are thought to provide a safe passage across water . It is also said hei matau symbolizes the wearer's power and authority.

The art of Maori jade (greenstone) and bone carving has been handed down from generation to generation.

lens6958962_1252751171maori-hei-matau.jpgHand-Carved-Bone-Fish-Hook-Pendant-p.jpg

I never knew the significance of the fish hook, David. What a good idea for a NZ gift....especially for the cruising fraternity.

They are very nice souvenirs, and make a great gift for friends or other cruisers. We have also given them as a gift to our stewards on board.

**just noticed your post count....

Congrats on 5,000 posts

You will notice immediately what types of souvenirs are available in NZ as soon as you visit one of the duty free or tourist shops.

It is pretty standard fare of mostly good quality and lots of little fun stuff items. Fun and quality is large choice of jewelry like already mentioned.

But also wool products. Great jumpers. Also lots of sheepskin items, like winter slippers. Plus wood carvings and the special Kauri wood.

Beautiful coasters and calendars. Ceramic and lots of different items to choose from.

Guest zafra63
I never knew the significance of the fish hook, David. What a good idea for a NZ gift....especially for the cruising fraternity.

Anna, congratulations on reaching over 5000 posts. Fantastic. Keep on going girl!!!:D

Congrats Anna!

We got some nice black china coasters with two green tree fern fronds on them - a simple design and they don't look at all "Kitschy". My family have ordered more when we go again in Feb. :)

Actually we bought some very nice coasters as a gift. They were frosted glass with the silver fern leaf etched into them. Not very expensive either.

A New Zealand cookbook is a good souvenir for those who enjoy cooking.

As well as the things already recommended, I have a set of beautiful NZ wooden eggcups.

I like to buy things which are unique to a country, whether it be from a local market or a shop.

Archived