Miami Post Cruise.. Lots of Time before flight

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Florida Departures

Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:17 PM.
Minnesota
56 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Hello-

I am hoping to get ideas of what my son (10) and I can do post cruise in Miami on February 16th since our flight doesn't depart MIA until 930pm and I am trying to avoid renting a car due to cost. I know Carnival offers some excursions but they only seem to be 3-4 hours long. Does anyone know of any private companies that do excursions, city tours or hotels that offer Day Passes? Looking to avoid sitting in the airport for 8+hours.

Thanks much!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Northern VA & DC
16,088 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
It has been reported that there is luggage storage a Bayside Market and MIA - I haven't seen or used this service so do some homework. You could then catch a bus to Miami Beach for the day, or even the zoo in Miami.

For day rooms at a hotel I would contact places near MIA that are used to travellers coming and going at all hours, but I suspect a room will cost you more than a car rental. Good luck!
Chicago
379 Posts
Joined May 2011
We have a similar situation coming up in March. I was wondering if Bayside had storage - maybe I will have to give them a call. I'm not that thrilled about spending the day there but it has to be better than the airport!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
NCL Sky 1/20/12
NCL Epic 3/3/12
NCL Pride of America 2/23/13
Carnival Breeze 3/1/14
RCL Majesty of the Seas 9/22/14
NCL Pride of America 2/28/15
Colorado
291 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Glad we aren't alone, we have the same dilema coming up on Feb 11th. I looked at the Celebrity Miami excursion as well and it was also only 4 hours and pretty pricey.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carson Valley, Nevada, U.S.A.
3,119 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
You may want to consider the "Bags" program that your ship probably will offer. For about $20 pp, you could have your bags delivered from outside your cabin the night before all the way through customs to the airport and not have to claim them until you get to your home port.

There are limits on the Bags program based on times and flights so you'd have to check those out.

That would be one less hassle you'd have to deal with and free you up for doing something during your wait.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Roll Call: March 20th, 2017

Roll Call: April 14, 2018 Ruby Princess 10 day Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez

Missouri
62 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Check out today's Miami Groupon. Sounds like fun to me!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2/4/2012 - Carnival Valor - 8 day Eastern
3/28/2010 - Carnival Conquest - 7 day Western
11/17/2008 - Carnival Holiday - 5 day Western
1/27/2007 - Carnival Ecstasy - 5 day Mexico
4/22/2006 - Carnival Elation - 8 day Eastern
1/2/2005 - Carnival Victory - 7 day Western
Massachusetts
4,948 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by victoriap
Hello-

I am hoping to get ideas of what my son (10) and I can do post cruise in Miami on February 16th since our flight doesn't depart MIA until 930pm and I am trying to avoid renting a car due to cost. I know Carnival offers some excursions but they only seem to be 3-4 hours long. Does anyone know of any private companies that do excursions, city tours or hotels that offer Day Passes? Looking to avoid sitting in the airport for 8+hours.

Thanks much!
Honestly, look into renting a car. If it is just you & your son there are some great deals out there for compact cars. In October, I rented a minivan for $75 with Alamo through my BJs membership. Most others agencies wanted double that. There are codes online everywhere for car rentals. Alamo and a few others have a free shuttle from the Port to the rental office. I was in my minivan in about 1/2 hr. I did online check in before I sailed. Very easy.

If you think it is something you may be interested, this way you can store your luggage and take a tour of Miami. We were flying out of Fort Lauderdale so we stopped at the Boardwalk in Hollywood, FL. Very nice there but unfortunately it was raining so we had to leave. I would love to visit Hollywood again someday in the sunshine. There are lots of other sites you could see with the amount of time you have.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
02-14-2010 Carnival Sensation
11-22-2010 Carnival Imagination
10-14-2011 Carnival Imagination
05-14-2012 Carnival Destiny
11-17-2012 Carnival Liberty
05-09-2013 Carnival Victory
01-12-2014 Carnival Valor
11-01-2014 Carnival Splendor
09-10-2015 Carnival Victory
11-01-2015 Carnival Liberty
05-01-2016 Carnival Breeze
05-05-2016 Carnival Sensation
08-28-2016 Carnival Conquest
11-12-2016 Carnival Magic

Pittsburgh PA
131 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Hi all-
We're in same situtation arriving in Miami and having 12 hours to kill, and I have been looking at a number of options. The Bags program will be the best option to free ourselves of our luggage, but then what?
The cruise line offers excursions to the Everglades- which we would be interested in, but they will only drop us at the airport (I did call and ask) which then leaves us about 7 hours to kill in MIA ( no thanks)
My next thought is that maybe we could do some other type of private company to everglades or city tour and then have them drop us at Bayside or South Beach. I can't seem to find anything like that so far- does anyone have suggestions on that?
Many thanks!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida!
15,284 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by victoriap
Hello-

Thanks much!
A day room may be hard since you are traveling peak week in peak season. If you can find one, go for that. Otherwise I think renting a car and heading to the beach will be the best time for your son.

Both options will run you about the same price. You can always priceline an airport hotel.

I just hotwired a car rental on your date for the heck of it and you can get an economy for $54 for the day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Miami Blog!
Northern VA & DC
16,088 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by Catz n Dog
Hi all-
We're in same situtation arriving in Miami and having 12 hours to kill, and I have been looking at a number of options. The Bags program will be the best option to free ourselves of our luggage, but then what?
The cruise line offers excursions to the Everglades- which we would be interested in, but they will only drop us at the airport (I did call and ask) which then leaves us about 7 hours to kill in MIA ( no thanks)
My next thought is that maybe we could do some other type of private company to everglades or city tour and then have them drop us at Bayside or South Beach. I can't seem to find anything like that so far- does anyone have suggestions on that?
Many thanks!
Do the tour, store or check your bags in at MIA and then use the airport flyer bus from MIA to South Beach (for only $2.35 per person each way) -- enjoy people watching, drinks and maybe an early dinner before bussing back to MIA. Good luck!
Midwest
178 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by JohninDC
Do the tour, store or check your bags in at MIA and then use the airport flyer bus from MIA to South Beach (for only $2.35 per person each way) -- enjoy people watching, drinks and maybe an early dinner before bussing back to MIA. Good luck!

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for this post!! I've been searching for things to do as our oubound flight does not leave until 8:30 pm, and unfortunately I included airport transfers with the cost of our cruise when I booked it and they are non refundable, even to switch them to an excursion with a transfer included.

Any additional info anyone has on this or things to do that are on the airport flyer bus route would be so much appreciated!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelly

[email protected]

Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean - March 2011
Carnival Liberty -September 2012
Carnival Dream - July 2014