Budapest <-> Prague: direction, season?

Wendy The Wanderer

I think it is very dramatic sailing into Budapest particularly if it's at nighttime. We also liked spending an extra day or 2 in Budapest to go to the opera and take the baths before our trip home.The other consideration is which airport would give you the most practical connections to get home. But even if you start the trip in Budapest you will have plenty of vantage points to see the city lit up at night from the Danube Promenade or from the castle area, etc.

We cruised Budapest to Nuremberg --> with a couple of days in Budapest at the start, and then over to Prague. We left home on October 2nd. The weather was very warm (shorts & t-shirts) up as far as Melk... then we hit rain. It continued to rain - and then the temperature dropped. I had to buy a warmer coat in Prague. And - it was snowing the morning that we left. Huge change in less than 2 weeks.

We have travelled twice in the fall - and love it. But you do take a chance on the weather in October. Perhaps someone who has travelled the Danube in May/June can comment.

Fran

We reached Budapest on the 20th September last year and the weather was quite warm with clear blue skies. Dining out the next evening at the Cafe Kor was in very mild evening weather. BUT you know the weather perfect one time - not so perfect the next. Whatever the weather I'm pretty sure you'll like Budapest.

Do you think it makes any difference what direction you do this stretch of the Danube (I know, it's not really to Prague.)

And if you had to choose, would you choose early October, or late May/early June?

We just cruised Budapest to Prague this past November and thought it was great! Many say if you cruise the other direction, if you catch bad weather/rain that it will follow you the remainder of your trip. The sail away from Budapest at night was just beautiful and we much enjoyed our pre days in Budapest prior to the cruise sightseeing independently on our own. There is so much to see and do in Budapest, not to mention the overwhelming beauty of the city.

We had great weather in mid to late November, cold but unusually dry. In fact, not a drop of rain. Maybe we were just lucky but we enjoy Fall cruise weather. Just pack and dress appropriately. Plus we were still in Eastern Europe to catch the 1st few days of the Christmas Markets that opened late November. Disembarked the cruise in Nuremburg and enjoyed several days post cruise in Prague which was just wonderful...... Not to be missed! We would go this same direction again in the future!

We just cruised Budapest to Prague this past November and thought it was great! Many say if you cruise the other direction, if you catch bad weather/rain that it will follow you the remainder of your trip. The sail away from Budapest at night was just beautiful and we much enjoyed our pre days in Budapest prior to the cruise sightseeing independently on our own. There is so much to see and do in Budapest, not to mention the overwhelming beauty of the city.

We had great weather in mid to late November, cold but unusually dry. In fact, not a drop of rain. Maybe we were just lucky but we enjoy Fall cruise weather. Just pack and dress appropriately. Plus we were still in Eastern Europe to catch the 1st few days of the Christmas Markets that opened late November. Disembarked the cruise in Nuremburg and enjoyed several days post cruise in Prague which was just wonderful...... Not to be missed! We would go this same direction again in the future!

We are doing this itinerary in late November as we love the Christmas Markets and really missed them when we cruised this past year in Mid November. We kick off our trip with three nights in Budapest and end with three nights in Prague and we are very excited.

We loved Prague, found it gorgeous when we were there at Christmas last year.

Caviargal - Thanks for Andrea's email. I have traded a few emails with her and she is very nice. She suggested splitting tour into 2 days of 4 hours each which we like. Just curious of your thought on this and what things are a must see and which you would skip.

Thanks again for your help!

Caviargal - Thanks for Andrea's email. I have traded a few emails with her and she is very nice. She suggested splitting tour into 2 days of 4 hours each which we like. Just curious of your thought on this and what things are a must see and which you would skip.

Thanks again for your help!

I think it is a great idea and there is nothing we would have skipped.

I have booked Andrea for two days 4 hours each for our upcoming trip. We packed a lot into our 6 hours with her but still had to rush through a few things, like the Palace. We could definitely have used more time with her.

I am taking a group of family and friends with us this time and decided to split the tour. We can enjoy Prague on our own in the afternoons and not have to rush to see everything in one day.

We are doing this itinerary in late November as we love the Christmas Markets and really missed them when we cruised this past year in Mid November. We kick off our trip with three nights in Budapest and end with three nights in Prague and we are very excited.

We loved Prague, found it gorgeous when we were there at Christmas last year.

Just wanted to let you know we did a land tour in October from Budapest to Vienna to Prague. We absolutely LOVED Budapest. Definitely have some extra days in Budapest and in Prague. There are outlying towns to visit too. Go to the Terror Museum in Budapest and the synagogues in Prague.

In Budapest - try to walk over to see the "Shoes on the Danube" memorial. It is easy to find - not far from the Chain Bridge on the Pest side.

We saw the Museum of Terror in Budapest - and then visited the Museum of Communism in Prague. Both interesting - and quite sobering.

Loved both cities - and am hoping to get back to both again one day.

Fran

:)We traveled in October 2008. We spent 3 days in Prague on our own (One of my favorite cities in the world.) then took the train to Nuremberg to board our Viking ship and traveled down the Danube to Budapest. We had wonderful weather; just needed a light jacket or sweater during the whole trip. Layering worked great. However, a week after we returned, we heard they had snow. We are taking almost the same trip in October with AMA Waterways but traveling in the reverse direction. Can't wait to see all those wonderful places again.

Sounds like from reading the above, there may be some advantages to starting in Budapest.

One more potential advantage... I've read some posts that say Budapest Airport is quite a "zoo" and can be very confusing if you're leaving from there trying to understand the announcements and the "crush" of people crowding into "blobs of lines" instead of orderly lines, compared to the calmer, "easier to use" Prague airport. (Note: But a few said "we didn't have any problem in the Budapest Airport.") If you fly into Budapest, instead of leaving from it, you only have to get off the plane and follow everyone else to customs, then leave the building.

We're doing that this Summer... Flying into Budapest, then leaving from Prague. We're also spending 3 days in advance in Budapest and 4 days "post-cruise" in Prague... something it sounds like you really must do as long as you went to the trouble of getting all the way over there!

We did not do a river cruise but spent 4 days in Prague this past October before flying to Venice for a TA cruise on the Ruby Princess. Cannot speak to Budapest sights yet but hope to soon. As for Prague, it easily surpassed Rome in my opinion and by the 3rd day, I thought it was even more beautiful than Paris and I have been there 5 times. Prague is gorgeous and deserves a visit of at least 3 days. Be sure to see it. As for weather, it was quite cool in the mornings but warm and sunny after about 10 or 10:30. Just dress in layers and put a pair of gloves in your purse or pocket for early morning walks.Make sure to save time to walk over the charles Bridge to see all the wonderful crafts for sale and to take pictures of the castel from the bridge. Magnificent!!!!

Ciao,

Nikki

Thanks so much, all of you. As for the layering of clothing, I'm thinking that if we do this in 2013 we'll try for earlier, like late September or early October. Being Canadians who have just started snowbirding in Florida, I have no desire to experience any more "crisp" fall weather than we already will get at home.

Archived