Queen Elizabeth swimming pools

glojo

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have tried using the search facility but could not find an answer so here we go.

Are the pools on the Queen Elizabeth fresh or salt water?

If they are fresh water are they heated?

Are they suitable for swimming or are they just somewhere to cool down?

I have no idea how many pools there are or how big they are so all information will be appreciated.

Hi Glojo,

I haven't been on QE but was on QV until the 13th Dec. I assume the pools are the same on the two ships. I like to swim everyday if I can when I am onboard. The pools are both freash water and heated. The temp was around 25 to 27 when we were on. Plenty warm enough even in December. The pools are not huge but you can swim lengths in them - that is what i like to do. The Main pool in the centre of the ship is quite shallow (my waist height) at one end and about shoulder deep at the other. The Lido pool at the stern is my favourite as it is shoulder deep at the shallow end and deeper at the other end. Each has two whirl pools beside it.

We were able to swim at least fifty percent of the time. The rest of the time the pools were too rough - we had a very windy cruise around the Med.

I hope this is of help.

Sarah

Hi Glojo,

I haven't been on QE but was on QV until the 13th Dec. I assume the pools are the same on the two ships. I like to swim everyday if I can when I am onboard. The pools are both freash water and heated. The temp was around 25 to 27 when we were on. Plenty warm enough even in December. The pools are not huge but you can swim lengths in them - that is what i like to do. The Main pool in the centre of the ship is quite shallow (my waist height) at one end and about shoulder deep at the other. The Lido pool at the stern is my favourite as it is shoulder deep at the shallow end and deeper at the other end. Each has two whirl pools beside it.

We were able to swim at least fifty percent of the time. The rest of the time the pools were too rough - we had a very windy cruise around the Med.

I hope this is of help.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thank you very much indeed for the very informative reply and as you rightly point out, both ships are the same class and appear to be all but identical.

I would prefer the 27 to the 25 as I am no longer capable of working up a bow wave :)

Hi, I cam back from QE on Wednesday, the pools are fresh water, but not heated. Even though the air temp was 22c the pool water felt cold.

The pools are not very big so you will need to do a few lengths if you want to swim off your afternoon tea.

This from Cunard's website FAQs so Caveat Emptor!!

Are the swimming pools heated?

The following pools are heated on board:

Queen Victoria:

Lido Pool - Deck 9

Pavilion Pool - Deck 9

Queen Mary 2:

Pavilion Pool - Deck 12

Terrace Pool - Deck 8

Splash Pool - Deck 6

Queen Elizabeth:

Pavilion Pool - Deck 9

Lido Pool - Deck 9

I think that they heat them, but not very much :)

Queen Elizabeth:

Pavilion Pool - Deck 9 This is a quiet area & boisterous passengers are not welcome.

Lido Pool - Deck 9 This pool has music being played most of the day & boisterous passengers are encouraged to use this pool on the wall by the entrance door on the starboard side opposite the bar is a daily chart with the pools water temperature

displayed, What is annoying that neither pool has changing rooms & showers.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the pools have a ramp for handicapped people. My partner is 79 and loves to swim, but the ladders are a problem for her. NCL has ramps on their pools, so we've never had a problem getting in or out.

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. Disappointing, but I'll look into the Spa and see if they have a pool. I can't believe Cunard isn't concerned about the handicapped as I thought they were a "better" cruise line than NCL. We booked this cruise for the itinerary so we'll concentrate on that.

Again, thanks.

Linda

Perhaps Cunard are concerned and might consider that if a person is so disabled that they cannot safely do certain acts, then Cunard do not encourage them.

I am personally just so grateful that this line makes the efforts they do to cater for folks that are disabled.

Bottom line I guess is that it is our money, it is down to us where we spend it.

Funny that my partner swims everyday on NCL. I would appreciate knowing what Cunard does do for the disabled so I can take advantage of them. All I'm saying is that ramps are available on other lines and I'm surprised not on Cunard.

We also need a fridge in the cabin and a special diet. Hopefully, I'll have no problems arranging these.

Thanks.

Linda

Funny that my partner swims everyday on NCL. I would appreciate knowing what Cunard does do for the disabled so I can take advantage of them. All I'm saying is that ramps are available on other lines and I'm surprised not on Cunard.

We also need a fridge in the cabin and a special diet. Hopefully, I'll have no problems arranging these.

Thanks.

Linda

I had to convince Cunard that I was fit enough for the crfuise,accept it was down to my carer to look after me during our cruise and inform them of the measurements of my wheelchair.

I had to list my medication and confirm I had FULL travel insurance that covered my medical condition.

My thoughts on this are that Cunard are not responsible for my condition, they do not have to allow me to travel on their ship and I appreciate the efforts they go to to make my voyage as pleasant as possible.

I have never played the disabled card, I hate it when folks start demanding things, or items and please do not think this comment is aimed in any direction.

I have my limitations and accept them... I accept what is offered and if it is not to my liking then so be it. I would hate for any extra equipment to interefere with the smooth running of the ship or spoil the enjoyment of others. but that is me.. We are all different.

How big are these pools and would a hoist, lift or ramp take up any of this space and whilst being manipulated into the pool would every other swimmer have to stop their activities?

I have been known to just roll into a pool and then getting out is down to me and my carer :)

Thanks for the information about the hoists. I can see that this can turn into an unpleasant thread so I am gone. We will pay for the Spa. We are going with Cunard only because of Iceland and that it is a sweet 16 birthday present for our Granddaughter. I don't want to upset anyone and this will be a one time cruise on Cunard anyway. Thanks to those who tried to help me.

Linda

Thanks for the information about the hoists. I can see that this can turn into an unpleasant thread so I am gone. We will pay for the Spa. We are going with Cunard only because of Iceland and that it is a sweet 16 birthday present for our Granddaughter. I don't want to upset anyone and this will be a one time cruise on Cunard anyway. Thanks to those who tried to help me.

Linda

How do you know that? You might find that you enjoy yourself and book another Cunard cruise.

Archived