Ilhabela, Brazil - port trip report

coldweather

(I am posting here because this port is not listed in the port review section.)

This is a GREAT cruise ship stop. When getting off of the cruise ship, there is a tourist information booth and other vendors at booths selling tours. I grouped together with other cruise passengers and hired a van to take us to Curral Beach. The cost was $30R each. The ride was about 45 minutes with no traffic at a speed of about 30 MPH (not fast). It was a nice, pleasant ride through town and scenic as the road is next to the water.

Curral Beach is packed with restaurants that will let you use their chairs, loungers, tables and umbrellas if you consume food or drink. We had some nice local beer and a pleasant visit.

You will read that this stop has biting flies. In December 2012, we did not experience that but we did apply bug spray. I also noticed the locals applying bug spray.

The town near the tender dock is a nice size for walking around and shopping for tourist items.

I hope you find this helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
(I am posting here because this port is not listed in the port review section.)

This is a GREAT cruise ship stop. When getting off of the cruise ship, there is a tourist information booth and other vendors at booths selling tours. I grouped together with other cruise passengers and hired a van to take us to Curral Beach. The cost was $30R each. The ride was about 45 minutes with no traffic at a speed of about 30 MPH (not fast). It was a nice, pleasant ride through town and scenic as the road is next to the water.

Curral Beach is packed with restaurants that will let you use their chairs, loungers, tables and umbrellas if you consume food or drink. We had some nice local beer and a pleasant visit.

You will read that this stop has biting flies. In December 2012, we did not experience that but we did apply bug spray. I also noticed the locals applying bug spray.

The town near the tender dock is a nice size for walking around and shopping for tourist items.

I hope you find this helpful.

Thanks for the review, we are visiting there in 2015 so this is helpful.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks. This was very informative. Did any of your group swim? Was there anywhere to change?

As general info about Brazil, many/most beach barracas (little bars on the sand that sell drinks and food) have, for customers, seating, an outdoor shower to rinse off, some sort of room to change, and bathroom facilities. These can range from primitive to luxurious, depending on the barraca.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 1 year later...
Also visiting Ilhabela in Feb. 2017. Is there anything not to miss other than the beach? For those of us who aren't into water and sand, what would you suggest?

These little cruise ports are usually not for sightseeing. No major sights. Just beach.

Suggest sitting around and drinking beer or caipirinhas in the shade of a barraca, a favorite Brazilian pastime that you will see all the Paulistas pursuing with vigor.

Do you need the local money to book a tour or can you use a credit card. Is is safe to use a credit card? Are there ATMs around there?

Do most around there speak English?

Most places take cc, some not. Do not let the cc out of your sight. They should bring the machine to you. If not, follow the person with it and your check.Retain any carbon copies.

Wouldn't depend on finding an ATM before you need cash.

Very few Brazilians speak English, even in the tourist sector. Tourists on Ilha Bela are usually the rich from Sao Paulo city, so you may find more English speakers among them.

we loved this place, so pretty. Read my blog about it, posted above. Great food too

You mentioned in the blog you found things to be expensive in Brazil. Would you happen to remember the exchange rate at the time? I believe the exchange rate has been about 3.5 to the dollar recently, which is quite good given the rate history over the last 20 years. (In 1996 for example it was

R$1.2 to U$1, and went up to R$4=U$1, fell to R$2=U$1 and back up to current rate of 3.5.)

You mentioned in the blog you found things to be expensive in Brazil. Would you happen to remember the exchange rate at the time? I believe the exchange rate has been about 3.5 to the dollar recently, which is quite good given the rate history over the last 20 years. (In 1996 for example it was

R$1.2 to U$1, and went up to R$4=U$1, fell to R$2=U$1 and back up to current rate of 3.5.)

doesn't matter what the exchange rate is, things were priced high in R

Compared to most of the other South American Ports Brazil was the highest.

Hotels, drinks, food, transport - not a cheap place

We enjoy going snorkeling. Can you just snorkel off the beach or do you need to book a tour to take you to take you to the best places to see marine life?

So, Vida, we need to get cash in Rio for all the stops in Brazil? Trying to plan without needing to think about exchanging back into US currency.

So what does a beer or glass of wine usually cost in R$.

If you look on YouTube for Pico Baepi (a hill overlooking the beaches) or Mergulho (dive) Ilha Bela or Ilha das Cabras, you can see what it's like there.

Most places take cc, even beach bars. You need a little cash for places that don't. Just don't get cash at the Rio GIG airport (ATMs have cloning devices there).

A beer depends on where you buy it. Ilha Bela is upscale so probably R$8 on the beach or at a small bar.

Wine is not widely drunk unless you are in the south, so it is often not good and outrageously priced.