Alcohol...yes that old chestnut!

M&L

I know this question has been asked quite a lot of times, but here we go.

My wife and I would like to bring a couple of 3 Litre boxes of wine on board the CP in a couple of weeks time. As they are boxes are we exempt from the corking fee if we are captured by the 'wine police'

We have thought about smuggling it in our suitcases but we do worry we may have a potential leakage problem!

Our argument is you can not bring wine on board in hand liggage bought in the port of call, but we are bringing it all the way from the UK! This is stressing my better half can I put her mind at rest!

Thanks for any info to this well visited, but close to all our hearts topic! ;)

You can bring wine and Champaign on board. I recently brought five bottles on my last cruise. The corkage police only exist in the dining rooms. You can drink it in your room, baclony, etc. Since it is in a box, you can probaly take the box up poolside or any where else.

You can bring wine and Champaign on board. I recently brought five bottles on my last cruise. The corkage police only exist in the dining rooms. You can drink it in your room, baclony, etc. Since it is in a box, you can probaly take the box up poolside or any where else.

Better watch out for flameage with that last sentence.Although it's in a box and not a bottle with a cork to pull,it'll have to be for "in cabin" consumption only...I wouldn't be sporting it poolside if I was you!

If you meant bringing a glass poolside,well then that's a different story.

M & L.....7_4_13.gif We always take wine on board...the kind with the screw off lids in small bottles. (we take it in our carry-on and purchase it in port instead of trying to fly with it) We just chill it in our room fridge and ask for a wine glass from room service. It has never been a problem for us. You can always carry a glass of wine with you, wherever you go. We have never done this, but I have read CC posts where others have taken an open bottle of wine to the dining room to drink with dinner. They avoid the corking fees! Not sure I would want to try that but we are always having a drink before dinner and taking it in with us so not much difference.

Taking an open bottle of wine to the dining room will NOT avoid the CORKAGE FEE. (sorry, but for some reason that word CORKING just drives me wild). This is not a fee to UNCORK the wine but a fee imposed by the cruise lines for you taking your own wine to the diningroom and not purchasing it from them.

Doesn't matter if you take a corked bottle, a screw top or a box, a full bottle, half full bottle or a bottle which has only one glass left in it, you will still be often times charged a CORKAGE FEE for bringing it into the dining room.

Sometimes if the waiter is in a good mood he will not charge you the fee, but it is not because the wine has already been opened.

:D :D :D

Thank you for your encouraging replies with regard to the cruise wine syndrome. My wife has gone to bed 'totally chilled' and reassured.......this site is a hive of information as well as a must read after a day at work!

Can't wait to board the CP, I hope she is as good as the reviews I have read about her! :)

M&L ... Info posted on the CC about not being able to bring wine onto a ship at the port of call is incorrect. You can bring aboard as much wine and champagne as you wish at any port. As for boxes, good choice for room consumption. I would leave them there and refill your glasses from time to time. Taking the box with you will be a bit tacky.. As for corkage, I found that if you buy a few bottles on board, most of the time the waiters will wave the corkage fee if you bring your own bottle..

Steward is to corkage as stewart is to corking.

It's a shame to see what passes for the Queen's English these days.

Background of "Queen’s" English:

from

http://www.ic.arizona.edu/~lsp/QueensEnglish.html

THE QUEEN'S English ain't what it used to be

from

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Article135.html

The King's English

from

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1853263044/103-2477639-6309464?v=glance

M&L...Have a great time on your cruise and let us know how things go for you!

4_1_4.gif

This is our third cruise, the two previous destinations being Alaska and the Baltic on the Dawn and Grand Princess respectively. We will be boarding the Caribbean Princess next Saturday after an over night stay in the Intercontinental Hotel in FL. We are really hooked on this Cruising 'malarkey' and our son loves it....it's raining here in the UK at the moment..... surprise, surprise...roll on Saturday for a bit of sun, sea and just being lazy!!

If you use boxed wine I suggest that you put it in your back pack and just carry it around the ship so that you can get a glass at the pool, dining room, boat drill or at any location or opportunity. Why bother with those nasty corks and having to pay tips to wine steward? I heard may 3rd was a vintage week at the Gallo factory!:cool:

If you use boxed wine I suggest that you put it in your back pack and just carry it around the ship so that you can get a glass at the pool, dining room, boat drill or at any location or opportunity. Why bother with those nasty corks and having to pay tips to wine steward? I heard may 3rd was a vintage week at the Gallo factory!:cool:

m steve,

Get your facts straight man!May 3rd's 1.7 billon gallon blend was just OK,May 9th's was the "bomb"!

Taking an alcoholic beverage from your cabin to a public area is considered to be a big NO-NO. The line expects you to buy a drink when you are out and about the ship. This is the same reason for the corkage fee in the dining room.

What you do in your cabin is your business as long as you are not bothering anyone else or doing something illegal. Drinking your own booze in a public area of the ship is in extremely bad form and a definite breach of shipboard etiquette. This is the reason that so many other lines are confiscating booze brought onboard by passengers. You wouldn't do that at a luxury hotel would you???

Have a great cruise but mind your Ps and Qs.

Taking an alcoholic beverage from your cabin to a public area is considered to be a big NO-NO. The line expects you to buy a drink when you are out and about the ship. This is the same reason for the corkage fee in the dining room.

What you do in your cabin is your business as long as you are not bothering anyone else or doing something illegal. Drinking your own booze in a public area of the ship is in extremely bad form and a definite breach of shipboard etiquette. This is the reason that so many other lines are confiscating booze brought onboard by passengers. You wouldn't do that at a luxury hotel would you???

Have a great cruise but mind your Ps and Qs.

What are you kidding me! :eek: I hope you had "tongue in cheek"!

derf, where are you?? I once heard where the P's and Q's saying came from but for the life of me I can't remember!! :D

M&L, if you are still worried, wrap the box up in wrapping paper and say that it is a gift to be given while you are onboard, chances are they'll never ask you about it and you get your wine!

We have decided after much deliberation, ooh'ing and aar'ing and obviously taking in to account what every one has said on this thread to take on board a third 3 Litre box of wine.

The plan is when we arrive in FL I will go out and buy a small golf trolley. When we get to out Stateroom I will attach the three boxes of wine to the trolley. The first evening meal we will saunter on down to the Palm dinning room in a very British, calm and understated way towing the wine trolley behind us. We will follow the waiter to our table and park the wine trolley, by doing this we will have made three statements:

1. We have arrived

2. This is our patch

3. We wont be moving for the next 14 days!

I think this should cover it, Imperialism with your wine trolley! ;)

Well, why stop at a trolley? (That's a pull-cart to the rest of us) Just rent an electric golf cart, which has seats and far more carrying capacity, recharge it in the hall every night, and use it to trundle about the ship. If one wishes to reinstate the imperium, one might as well go at it full bore.

Well, why stop at a trolley? (That's a pull-cart to the rest of us) Just rent an electric golf cart, which has seats and far more carrying capacity, recharge it in the hall every night, and use it to trundle about the ship. If one wishes to reinstate the imperium, one might as well go at it full bore.
........:D

M&L...Wish we were on your cruise, at your table. What fun it would be to see you come in with your box of wine! And we know you are kidding but how funny would it be to see the trolley tagging along behind.

We would be there to cheer you on. 23_28_100.gif You are paying good money to have a good time, so do what you want and enjoy yourselves and the wine. Besides, how many of these people do you think you will ever see again anyway?! Ha..Ha...

Archived