Cruise out of NYC for NCL help; airport and transfers?

Warm-Water Diver

I am looking at booking a cruise on the NCL Breakaway which sails out NYC.

Never been to that port or the city.

If someone has been to that port via airlines, can you suggest what might be the best or closet airport to use for that port and what the transfer cost to the port would be (supershuttle, cab etc.)?

I don't think there is much difference in terms of distance from LaGuardia or JFK airports to Manhattan so I would advise choosing the most convenient airport for you. Last year I used JFK because I could fly non-stop from San Francisco and LaGuardia required that I make a stopover somewhere.

Taxis are plentiful but I used Dial7 for my transport from the airport to Manhattan. I had a very good experience with them. Another service that others have used and recommended is called Carmel, I believe. With Dial7 I found an on-line coupon that saved me some $$. I think it was around $40 fare IIRC. I was the only passenger so I wasn't delayed by having the vehicle dropping off passengers at other stops.

Thanks. I heard that Super Shuttle operates there and is usually cheap.

I also believe that Newark is the closest airport so if metered cab, should be cheaper right?

LaGuardia is the closest airport. A taxi or car service from LGA to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal will cost somewhere between $35-$45 plus tip.

Newark, while second closest, often has the highest cost of transportation, because you are crossing state lines, and you definitely do not want to take a metered taxi as a result. We usually recommend a car service, at a cost of about $50 for the car, about $15 in tolls. plus tip (about 20% of the fare...in this case $10 is about right) for a total of about $75.

JFK is the furthest, but not by all that much. Taxis to Manhattan charge a fixed fare of $52.50, plus tolls (should be $0) and tip.

We recommend steering clear of Super Shuttle in NY. It's a decent service in many other cities but not here. Bad vehicles, bad drivers...just not a good idea.

The actual distance from airport to cruise terminal shouldn't be a factor in your decision...none are that far away. You first have to check airline schedules and fares and then add in the approximate cost of ground transportation. Make your decision on airfare, airline schedule and possibly use ground transportation cost as the tie breaker.

FYI...the moderators may transfer this thread to the East Coast Departures board. That's where this topic is usually discussed.

DO NOT use Super Shuttle or Airlink in the NYC area. CRAPPY service, the WORST drivers. Those who cannot get a taxi license or work for a car service are relegated to the shuttle services. They are paid COMMISSION. How many passengers can you STUFF into a van??? That determines your paycheck.

As one who has used Super Shuttle all over the USA, I WILL NOT use Super Shuttle in the NYC area. I spend 4-5 days per month for business in the NYC area. I have tried Super Shuttle a few times. One time, the driver left me about a MILE away from my destination in the middle of the SOUTH BRONX. NOT a neighborhood to leave a single female with laptop, luggage and paperwork in tow. The driver was SCARED. Would NOT take me to the destination I paid for. Cops got called. They could Do NOTHING. I was left on a corner to find my own way to my office/warehouse.

Call a car service or jump in a taxi. IF you fly into EWR, there is also a BUS service (like Greyhound with luggage stored UNDERNEATH the bus) direct to Manhattan. This service leaves you only a $20 bill from the cruise terminal. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Good luck and enjoy!!!

This service leaves you only a $20 bill from the cruise terminal. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

I went to the site but still not sure.

Is this 20 per person?

ABOUT TWENTY dollars for the TAXI for ALL passengers would be the worst case. NOT $20 per person. The BUS from EWR charges PER PERSON. The taxi or car service-PER car up to 4 people with not much luggage or 3 with normal cruise luggage.

This service leaves you only a $20 bill from the cruise terminal. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

I went to the site but still not sure.

Is this 20 per person?

The one way fare for the Coach USA/Olympia Trails bus from EWR to Manhattan is $16 per person. The taxi fare from Port Authority Bus Terminal (the stop where you should exit the bus) is about $10 plus tip...for the taxi, not per person.

Did a NCL cruise to Bermuda last summer. The two major carriers in Canada each fly to different airports and we ended up going thru La Guardia. The cab ride was 40 to the hotel which was 6 blocks from the cruise terminal and 45 direct from the cruise terminal to the airport on our way out. Both trips included the $4 sur charge for using the tunnel. Travel time was about 25-30 min each way. If you are going to pay 20 a head for a shuttle service take a cab. There are lots available and once you get downtown at least half the vehicles you will see are yellow and cabs.

Depending on your time and luggage issues you can fly into JFK and take the air train followed by the LIRR to Penn Station. It's a few blocks of a taxi ride down to the Pier.

And Heck No to the New York Super Shuttle. I personally have never ridden one--but have gotten into numerous near accidents with them at JFK and LGA.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Archived