Doubletree Westminster to Novotel Waterloo

cruzky

"good" is very subjective of course :)

There are some local pubs you might want to try, you MUST go to the Regency Cafe for breakfast, and Quirinale in Great Peter Street is a pretty good Italian. But the immediate area is not brilliant for top restaurants. I have heard good things of the City Cafe in the hotel itself and there used to be a decent place in the Tate, but I'm not sure if that is still there.

Do you have any thing in particular in mind (cuisine, price, formal dining, Michelin stars...)?

Edit: I should mention the Cinnamon Club in the old Westminster library in Great Smith Street - one of the best Indian restaurants anywhere, with prices to match (good Prix fixe deals at lunchtime and pre-theatre, £24 for three courses). Definitely not a curry house for a meal after the pub type of place - it's fine and superb dining. The tasting menu at £75 is very highly recommended, but I have yet to find an occasion to try it...

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Cotswold Eagle,

Breakfast will be included with our room.

I am looking for a typical English pub to have fish & chips and a pint or two one night. Can you recommend something in the Westminster area?

What about the rooftop restaurant at the Hilton/Doubletree Tower Bridge property. Looks nice. Have you eaten there? Is the food good?

I'm not interested in top restaurants, Michelin Stars nor formal restaurants. Price less than 50 GBP per person.

Thanks for all your help,

Roseanna

Close to your hotel I'd check out the Marquis of Granby in Romney Street (just off Horseferry Road) and the Morpeth Arms on Millbank, near the Tate. During the week, all the local pubs get very busy after work - you are in a government office area. At the weekend it can be very quiet (and some places may not be open).

If you want fish and chips, pubs would be adequate, but for the best go to Seafresh in Wilton Road between Pimlico and Victoria.

Do you mean the Skylounge at the other Doubletree? I haven't been, but it looks more like a bar that serves food than a restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Doubletree Westminster this summer.

We found a little Mom/Pop type restaurant on Horseferry road, very close to the hotel.

Super affordable, generous portions, home style cooking...

The decor was plain jane as could be...but that didn't bother us.

:)

p_mori7,

Would you care to share the name of the restaurant on Horseferry Rd?

Thanks,

Roseanna

I don't remember the name...sorry...basically just walk up to Horseferry Rd, cross the street, hang a left, then walk down the sidewalk a little bit...the was a row of commercial storefronts...it was about in the middle of the row...I tried to find it on Google streetview but there was a big bus parked on the street !

:(

Edited by p_mori7

Found it !

It was the Grosvenor Cafe.

It's NOTHING fancy ! But the food was good and the prices were affordable !

I had a huge grilled pork chop, mashed potatoes, vegetables & a dinner roll... it was on the daily specials...it was 8GBP if I remember correctly.

My wife had a steak with mushroom sauce & french fries & a dinner roll...I think that was 9GBP.

The tables & chairs are worn from locals eating there, the TV in the corner had a cricket game on...UK vs Australia...

The people were nice...

I guess I would call it a UK version of a US diner.

grosvenor.png

Edited by p_mori7

That's an old image, I think. It is the same location as Sapori :)

It's a very good caff (I like your comparison to a diner), but I'm pretty sure it closes late afternoon.

Nope ! We were there around 7:30pm

EDIT: It does look like the same location as Sapori Cafe !

I really don't remember the name...I just remember the location...which is how I found the image on Street View.

Edited by p_mori7

Nope ! We were there around 7:30pm

EDIT: It does look like the same location as Sapori Cafe !

I really don't remember the name...I just remember the location...which is how I found the image on Street View.

Good to know that they have extended their hours. Annoyingly, I drove past it just last weekend - I'll check what it is currently called next time I'm in the area!

• 1 month later...
We are holding 2 reservations the doubletree westminster is one. How did you like the hotel? Also was in walking distance of most places. Any information would helpful.

I replied to the other thread you started.

:)