Alcohol on board with Celebrity

guitarboy53

How strict is Celebrity about bringing alcohol on board? I know that we really arent supposed to do it.....But a bottle or 2 wouldnt hurt anyone right?!? Also, is it true that if you buy alcohol on board in the duty free store, it wont be delivered to your room until the last night? On RCCL, if you purchased on board, you could pay their 10.00 fee and take it right back to your room. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks;)

~Matt

We have always brought our own alcohol on board without a problem. We buy plastic bottles whenever possible to decrease chances of breakage. We also take it in our carry-ons. We try to limit it to one bottle or so per carry-on. On Celebrity when you buy in the on-board store they give it to you the last night, not before. Good luck with it.

Dear Guitarboy,

We just sailed on a 10 night cruise to Alaska out of San Francisco on the 9th of June. There were six of us sailing and we toured Napa Valley before our cruise. We purchased 12 bottles of wine and took all of it onboard. We carried it on and made no attempt whatsoever to conceal it. In fact, it was packed in boxes with a handle that had the logo of the winery where it was purchased. Nothing at all was said by anyone at Celebrity. It went through the x-ray machine prior to boarding. We drank some of it in our staterooms and took a few bottles to the dining room in the evening. We were charged a $15.00 corkage fee for the wine we drank in the dining. We were not charged a corkage fee for anything we consumed in our stateroom.

We were surprised at how liberal Celebrity was regarding this matter. Our stateroom attendant even brought fresh ice everyday to chill our wine.

Happy Cruising!!

We arrange a gift basket containing our favorites to be sent to the ship as a bon voyage gift. Again, no questions and the cabin attendant made sure we had plenty of ice. It avoids the carrying it on board especially if you are flying in and allows for that realxing drink in your cabin.

On Celebrity when you buy in the on-board store they give it to you the last night, not before. Good luck with it.

Sometimes the salesperson might allow you to quietly take the booze with you to your stateroom ;)

Sometimes the salesperson might allow you to quietly take the booze with you to your stateroom ;)

Yes, sometimes they do but unfortunately you won't know until you go to buy it. On our last cruise, it was the shopkeepers last cruise so he didn't care. :D

We arrange a gift basket containing our favorites to be sent to the ship as a bon voyage gift. Again, no questions and the cabin attendant made sure we had plenty of ice. It avoids the carrying it on board especially if you are flying in and allows for that realxing drink in your cabin.

This seems interesting ... How is this done ?

My friend always gives us the champagne the travel agent sends us so I would like to send her bottles of wine and her husband something else(maybe a liquer).

Thanks ...

We have always taken our own liquor on board with no problem. I found some leakproof plastic bottles at a Container Store that don't absorb or impart tastes or smells. They hold a quart of liquid. I pack them in our checked luggage - much safer than glass. I even have a smaller container for my olives!!

Our first cruise several years ago was out of San Juan so we were familiar with the setup there (the duty free shop just outside of boarding) - but other places seem to be different. Although the fine print with all cruise lines says 'no alcohol to be brought on board', as my TA pointed out the only person who can report you is your cabin steward or butler -- and there goes the tip!!!!

On our last cruise on Celebrity in Jan. the staff were confiscating any liquor brought on board from ports and holding it till the end of the cruise. I assume they also were taking stuff from carryons when embarking.

We also tried the old ploy (successful in the past) of attempting to talk the shop clerk on board into giving us purchased liquor "under the table" for consumption on board. We were told that some cruise staff had been fined (and even fired) for doing this so they would no longer do this. Our understanding is that the "no alcohol" rules are not instituted by the cruise lines, but by some governing body.

They always confiscate the liquor cartons bought in port until the last night but when you buy one bottle and stick it in a backpack or whatever you have, they don't bother. Just imagine them having to mark and store and deliver all those single bottles. We've never once been stopped with single bottles. :eek:

I truly don't think the cabin stewards or the butlers care one way or another what we keep in the cabin. :)

What Celebrity ship confiscated liquor you attempted to bring on? Was it a large quantity?

if you click liquor policy on the website it tells you about what age you have to be in order to consume.

Your ticket, which is your contract, regardless of what any ad may say, will state (or it did last year anyway), "Celebrity MAY limit the amount of alcohol brought on board." You already know they allow you to bring wine because they charge you a $15 corkage fee in the dining room, so it comes down to quantity.

When in Colon, Panama Dutch beer was sold at stateside cheapie beer prices (about $3.50 for a six pack), so my husband brought his 2 six packs of Groliers I think it was. not attempting to hide it in any way, and it went thru the scanner without a nod. he also purchased drambuie in a box and it was not questioned. We didn't drink the drambuie on board, however.

I think the no alcohol to be brought on board is (just?) an attempt at discouragement for those who might plan to booze it up and ruin the cruise for everyone else, a la the party ships. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine a Celebrity guest imposing drunkenness on the rest of us. Can you? I mean I didn't see any. does it get wild after midnight? ha ha. From what I've read in reviews is that most people are asleep by then.

i seriously do not think it is to keep their bar sales up IMO.

I can only relate to the liquor stores in St. Maarten and St. Thomas. When you buy the alloted bottles to take home (or consume on the ship) they are packaged in cardboard cases. When you come on board with those, the are held until the last evening.

I don't think Celebrity is worried about a bunch of drunks on board. I really do think it has to do with spending your alcohol dollars at the bars.

They've always said that you were welcome to bring your favorite wines on board and bring them to the diningroom for the corkage fee. I'm guessing the corkage fee covers their profit from many of the wines they sell onboard. You are always welcome to bring beer on board also. They can't be making that much profit on the beer and they probably welcome you bringing some of your own. :D

As I said, we have alway taken booze in our checked luggage - no problem. Obviously the cabin steward/butler is not going to report you - in fact will help you get mixers, etc.

However, when we were on Mercury in Jan (Mexican Riviera) people were quite upset when returning from port their purchased alcohol was confiscated at the security check-in. It was all labeled with cabin #s and possibly passengers were able to retrieve it, but at least they were told it would be delivered to the cabin on the day of disembarkation.

We also tried different clerks at the onboard liquor store but were always told this was a recent crackdown after some got fired for allowing passengers to purchase and then take to their cabin.

However -- a suitcase holds a LOT - it just means a few less pairs of shoes!!

You bring you navy bag (found in the closet) to the duty free shop. You purchase 1 bottle & place the bag by his feet behind the counter. The bottle goes in, you pick it up & leave for your room. That is 1 bottle per trip, unlimited trips. We did it on Connie & Infinity.......... They are 1 liter bottle not 750 ml, great bargain!

How strict is Celebrity about bringing alcohol on board? I know that we really arent supposed to do it.....But a bottle or 2 wouldnt hurt anyone right?!? Also, is it true that if you buy alcohol on board in the duty free store, it wont be delivered to your room until the last night? On RCCL, if you purchased on board, you could pay their 10.00 fee and take it right back to your room. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks;)

~Matt

Macop, We haven't had any luck with that in the last few years except on our last cruise and as I mentioned, the shopkeep didn't care because he was getting off at the end of our cruise and told us that's the only reason he was allowing this.

I still think it's very hit and miss. :mad:

Me, I'd rather have the extra shoes (and extra blazers!:D ), and "depend on the kindness of strangers" at the Martini Bar- it's why I always try to book a nearby cabin, so I can consider the Martini Bar as a sort of Foyer/extension of my stateroom!;)

Also why I offer so much advice here on CC. So many people say "I owe you a drink" for the advice, I figure my chances are pretty good on collecting one of these days! Of course, I've promised a few drinks, too, but hopefully the averages work in my favor!

Seriously- I don't bring any, but some people do. Drinks are a fairly good value compared to land resorts/restaurants/bars, and if we all drink in the bars, it keeps the profits up, and, hopefully, the fares a little lower. I think the general rule is not to abuse the system by trying to bring a week's worth of liquor, but a bottle of something should be fine. Just, please, keep your self-catered liquor for consumption in your cabin. How many of us have seen the drunk passenger with the adult version of a sippy cup stumbling around the ship and dissapearing back to the stateroom to "reload." If that's how you approach a vacation, may I recommend Betty Ford, instead.:)

Blazer, I swore I would never again post on an alcohol thread because there were so many people totally against having liquor in the cabin because they said we (posters) were obviously too cheap to buy drinks. That's finally gone away.

It seems so reasonable to me. We like to have a drink while getting ready for dinner in the cabin. Cabin service for drinks in the Caribbean is useless because it takes half an hour to get them and by the time they've traveled thruout the ship, they barely have ice. Why not enjoy the convienience? Anyone who says we are cheap, you haven't seen our shipboard bills. :D

BT, right there with you. :) And hereby officially condone and approve of your bringing a bottle on board -invite me over for a cocktail when we cruise together!;) (see how I get those free drinks!) I love to get the gifts of wine for the same reason, not cheap, not impatient (well most of the time!:D ) just sometimes the mood hits, the sun is setting, and there's already a bottle chilled right there. Totally makes sense. But you and I agree that the person bringing a case of wine, four litres of booze, and a few cases of beer is probably not in the same category.

And, as I said, unless I'm on that nudist cruise (now THERE'S a visual!:eek: ), I don't have enough room for shoes and blazers to take up space with something I can buy on the ship, like a drink, especially prepared in a stemmed glass with appropriate garnish!

Let's face it, there are days we all get back from touring a port and don't want to shower and dress to go out for a drink. It's nice to shower, laze in your bathrobe (or whatever!) and have your favorite beverage.

We go to the online yellow pages and find a liquor store in the departure port city that does gift baskets. They will pack anything you like and deliver it on your departure date. Of course you can order directly from Celebrity too but the selection is limited.

We once cruised with a couple who brought a cooler along every time they left the ship and brought it back full of beer when they returned. They tipped the cabin attendant to be sure the cooler was kept full of ice and took it with them to the pool on sea days! No one said a thing.

I love to get the gifts of wine for the same reason, not cheap, not impatient (well most of the time!:D ) just sometimes the mood hits, the sun is setting, and there's already a bottle chilled right there. Totally makes sense. But you and I agree that the person bringing a case of wine, four litres of booze, and a few cases of beer is probably not in the same category.

Blazer, EXACTLY!!!!!!!. Where were you when the innocent new cruisers were asking this question and only wanted to bring on a six pack while in port and make that last on their balcony for the next 3 days????? :D

I forgot to mention my second pet peeve about ordering cabin service. It does take around 1/2 an hour and if you want the drink while you are getting ready for dinner, one of you is going to be in the shower and the other one in their undies scrambling for the tip dollars and a robe. It's just a pain. The rest of the cruise is so perfect and all about being relaxed, why in the world should having a drink while getting ready for dinner be such a sore spot???

Thanks Blazer, I now also owe you a drink. :)

They always confiscate the liquor cartons bought in port until the last night but when you buy one bottle and stick it in a backpack or whatever you have, they don't bother. Just imagine them having to mark and store and deliver all those single bottles. We've never once been stopped with single bottles. :eek:

I truly don't think the cabin stewards or the butlers care one way or another what we keep in the cabin. :)

This has been my experience as well. I've even brought a couple of bottles onboard in a bag, and even after going through xray, no one said a word to me about it.

Last September my cousin had a small soft sided cooler she filled with Pepsi & wine coolers (neither of which are available onboard) that she took on as a carryon and again, no one said a word to her about it.

Terri

I really think that while boarding the ship in the sailing port, they are consentrating on looking for contraband of any kind. They've got anywhere from 1200 to 2300 boarding and I dont think a few bottles of liquor is going to phase them. We personally always pack a bottle for each of us in the checked luggage. The vodka comes in a plastic bottle. One plastic bottle is saved from previous consumption and it get's filled with scotch. Not to smuggle, simply because we don't want broken glass in the luggage and we put those into a plastic baggie just in case of leakage. We have never had a problem.

Teedee, I've read so many posts about passengers not finding what they need on the ships. After the first cruise, they find out what is not available and bring their own. Celebrity has said that they don't have a problem with that.

I'm only talking about our expierience on 14 cruises with Celebrity, there are so many that have had more. We have just never been stopped with a single bottle from a port.

It actually bothers me because they are so cautious about the hand held water container and just let the back packs with things from the Isands slide. On other inspections they could care less about the water container. I could have anything in the world in there also.

Sorry, Way off Topic.

We were on board Summit in March, 2005 and were able to "quietly" purchase liquor from the duty-free store on board (for a fee, which I can't recall) to take back to our cabin.

Good luck

We're going to be on the Century departing from Ft. Lauderdale on 11/7. We'd like to buy a couple of bottles of wine that we can enjoy in our stateroom. We're staying at the Marriott Courtyard by the airport the night before, and I don't think we're going to rent a car. The hotel will shuttle us to the Port Everglades Cruise Terminal.

Where can we buy a couple of bottles of wine right before boarding?

Thanks!

Archived