Malta Advice

Any advice for what to do in Malta? We're there from 8am until 6pm. I was thinking about doing Mdina in the morning, and then heading back to Valletta for the afternoon. Is Mdina worth it, and if so, how do you get there?

We aren't quite sure what to do while in this port. We're interested in walking around and taking pictures, not so much into museums. Any advice would be great (for both Mdina and places to see in Valletta).

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE :)

Any advice for what to do in Malta? We're there from 8am until 6pm. I was thinking about doing Mdina in the morning, and then heading back to Valletta for the afternoon. Is Mdina worth it, and if so, how do you get there?

We aren't quite sure what to do while in this port. We're interested in walking around and taking pictures, not so much into museums. Any advice would be great (for both Mdina and places to see in Valletta).

You are lucky that you'll have all day in Malta! It's a wonderful island and a photographer's dream, esp. Mdina. We are going back in the fall.

I wrote about our day in Malta in my blog

http://pandbtraveladventures.blogspot.com

Click on the tab labeled Sept. 28 on the left side of the blog. Lots of pictures.

Since you have all day you could take the HoHo bus to get there or a taxi.

Definitely visit Upper Barrakka Gardens for views of the Grand Harbor in Valetta.

Have a great time

It's definitely worth walking around Valletta, and a great place to take pictures. I second the advice to check out the view of the harbor from Upper Barrakka Gardens. Also, I think St. John's Co-Cathedral is a must-see. Not only for its famous Caravaggio, but also for the interior itself.

Make sure you are up on deck early and don't miss any of the sail-in. The Grand Harbor of Valletta is one of the most beautiful in the world.

Have a great trip!

MedCruise20102237.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

The Valletta bus terminal is located just outside the city walls west of the historic city center, about 1 kilometer from the cruise port. You can walk there (20 minutes) or a take a taxi (€ 10, 4 persons, one way).From the bus terminal in Valletta you can take a bus to Mdina. Bus N° 51, ​​52 and 53 run every 10 minutes and take you to Mdina in about half an hour. A ticket costs € 2.60 per person (valid all day). You can buy it on the bus or at one of the ticket machines at the bus terminal. You can check the timetable in advance. Or you can take bus 52 from the station Floriani

Get off at Rabat, the urban district of Mdina. From there it's 500 meters on foot to the historic city center.

http://www.publictransport.com.mt/searchresults

Mdina is located about 15 kilometers from Valletta. A taxi ride will cost between € 20 and € 25 per taxi (4 persons one way) and takes about 20 minutes.

Edited by mbeginner

Does it only take Euros?

Presumably buses in Virginia only take dollars? So why expect buses in the Eurozone, which has a population greater than the US, to accept other currencies?

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian

The Valletta bus terminal is located just outside the city walls west of the historic city center, about 1 kilometer from the cruise port. You can walk there (20 minutes) or a take a taxi (€ 10, 4 persons, one way).From the bus terminal in Valletta you can take a bus to Mdina. Bus N° 51, ​​52 and 53 run every 10 minutes and take you to Mdina in about half an hour. A ticket costs € 2.60 per person (valid all day). You can buy it on the bus or at one of the ticket machines at the bus terminal. You can check the timetable in advance. Or you can take bus 52 from the station Floriani

Get off at Rabat, the urban district of Mdina. From there it's 500 meters on foot to the historic city center.

http://www.publictransport.com.mt/searchresults

Mdina is located about 15 kilometers from Valletta. A taxi ride will cost between € 20 and € 25 per taxi (4 persons one way) and takes about 20 minutes.

Wow, thank you!! That is so helpful!!

Presumably buses in Virginia only take dollars? So why expect buses in the Eurozone, which has a population greater than the US, to accept other currencies?

Stuart

No need to be rude. We don't use public transportation here, so this is all new to us. We're simply trying to be prepared so that we can make the most out of our trip. Hopefully that makes sense :)

If you do use the public bus in Malta, please try to use the lowest denomination you can. Don't go on the bus with a 20 Euro note (unles you are purchasing 6 tickets), the bus driver will make change but he won't be happy about it. If you can get 5 Euro notes it will make getting on go a lot more quickly :D

Someone asked about beaches, the beaches are located on the north side of the island, there is really nothing around the harbour area.

No need to be rude. We don't use public transportation here, so this is all new to us. We're simply trying to be prepared so that we can make the most out of our trip. Hopefully that makes sense :)

There is a saying, 'when in Rome. . . . ". When I visit the States, I don't expect anyone to accept Euros or Pounds. It's nothing to do with public transport. It has everything to do with respecting other countries and not thinking they should accept foreign currencies.

• 2 months later...

Hello, to those of you who has been to the Blue Grotto before, so is the only way to see the Blue Grotto is thru the boat ride?

I was checking some of the itineraries around the web and and a lot of them are going to Zurrieq to see the Blue Grotto on from top? I'm not sure what that means, does that mean you don't need the boat ride to see it? Please advise. Thanks.

There was a hop on hop off bus in the area where we disembarked last year. We did that-and stopped to tour Mdina. It also included a boat tour of the harbour.

We liked Malta so much that we are including it in our land trip this fall and will stay for a week-ten days.

Hello, to those of you who has been to the Blue Grotto before, so is the only way to see the Blue Grotto is thru the boat ride?

I was checking some of the itineraries around the web and and a lot of them are going to Zurrieq to see the Blue Grotto on from top? I'm not sure what that means, does that mean you don't need the boat ride to see it? Please advise. Thanks.

I don't know how you can see the grotto from the top...they are caverns in/under the cilff. The Blue Grotto is neat to see, but honestly no big deal. We were in Malta for a week so we basically saw most everything to see, if you are pressed for time I wouldn't really suggest it as a main destination. It is about 1 mile walk from the Blue Grotto to the stone age ruins at Hagar Qim. You have to walk the up hillside via road to the main road and then walk to your left.