Dunedin-Nature Wonders/Albatross Colony or Land Tour to Milford Sound??

tenmile

We will be sailing on Celebrity Solstice from Aukland to Sydney in Jan. 2015. This will be our first (and maybe only) visit to New Zealand, and I need advice. In Dunedin, we must make a choice between a tour that 1) takes us on an all terrain vehicle tour of the penguin colonies and fur seals in Nature Wonders and a visit to the Royal Albatross colony and then cruising Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound prior to arriving in Milford Sound OR 2) doing the ship's overnight land excursion that takes us by Kawaru Gorge, Lake Dunstan and Clyde Dam, overnight in Queenstown and cruise across Lake Wakatipu, and then next day visit to Arrowtown, Remarkables Range, and Fjordland Natl. Park before meeting the ship at Milford Sound.

One main reason we chose this cruise was to see the beautiful fjords in the Sounds, but we have also been told that to truly experience NZ, we must go inland. Will I still be able to see beautiful views of the fjords if I travel through Fjordland Natl. Park (I know, a silly question about a park named for the fjords!) even though I will miss the ship's view of two of the three sounds? Also, I do not want to regret missing a chance to see penguins in a natural setting and the albatross. I would love to hear from both people who have done this cruise and from New Zealanders. What should I NOT miss? Thank you for helping me make a difficult decision! I need to make one soon. :confused:

Linda

I have done the Nature Wonders Tour as well as have sailed through Fjordland National Park's Dusky, Doubtful, and Milford Sounds. I have not done the overland tour to rejoin the ship in Milford Sound. (This was on HAL, but I would think Celebrity would provide an experience that would be the same.)

For both Doubtful and Dusky Sounds, the ship enters the Sound at one point and exists at another. At Milford Sound, the entrance and exit point is the same. The ship enters the Sound, goes quite deep into it, turns and around and sails out. On both times that I have done this, the sky was cloud free and the water in the Sounds acted like a mirror. It was a magnificent experience! But, if the weather does not cooperate, the ship's Captain may choose not to enter Doubtful and Dusky; that would be disappointing, to say the least.

Nature Wonders, I have done once and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. The ride on the all terrain vehicle is very dusty/dirty if the weather is dry, but the Company does provide some protective ponchos to wear that helps. Watching the Albatross and seeing some of them in flight was a highlight of that tour. But, the day I was there, the penguins were out to sea. We saw a few, but they were quite some distance on the beach from where the observation point was.

I have heard that the overland tour is also worthwhile as well.

It is a difficult decision!

New Zealand has so much to see and enjoy, along with very friendly and kind citizens. I hope to return in the not too distant future.

Since this will be your only trip to NZ, I think you should do the overnight trip, with a night in Queenstown.

Milford Sound is the most beautiful of the Sounds. Dusky and Doubtful, while beautiful, are less spectacular.

One main reason we chose this cruise was to see the beautiful fjords in the Sounds, but we have also been told that to truly experience NZ, we must go inland. Will I still be able to see beautiful views of the fjords if I travel through Fjordland Natl. Park (I know, a silly question about a park named for the fjords!) even though I will miss the ship's view of two of the three sounds?
It's true that you need to go inland to see many of NZ's great sights. But the way I approach it is this: You can do these inland bits (and far, far more) on another trip that does not involve a cruise; you could then also get to see some of the really good stuff rather than just touch on the few highlights located more or less on the most direct road route between Dunedin and Milford Sound. But if you do such a trip, Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound will be much harder to see.

I suspect that the overland tour's blurb about visiting Fjordland National Park will primarily consist of driving the road from Te Anau to Milford Sound rather than any true exploration of the park. And if so, you'll only see Milford Sound and no other fjords, and you won't even really see that until you get to Milford Sound and sail out.

So if I were you, I would stay with the ship and not do the overland tour. This has been my consistent view here about this question. I think that the overland tour should only be considered if you are sure that you won't ever get to NZ again. But I can almost guarantee that if you go once by cruise ship, you'll want to go again, and probably not by cruising.

Since this will be your only trip to NZ, I think you should do the overnight trip, with a night in Queenstown.

Milford Sound is the most beautiful of the Sounds. Dusky and Doubtful, while beautiful, are less spectacular.

I would agree totally - the overland trip would be a great experience and you would get to see the most magnificent part of NZ! I understand Celebrity is possibly the only line that does the tour. I have not done this tour but we spent a week in Queenstown in 2012 - cannot wait to get back there.

See my blog below in my signature for our trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my review. It's accurate and intended to give people an alternate view of the experience so they'd be informed. We weren't informed ahead of time.

Disappointing tour mostly a long bus ride

They advertised a beautiful lake and sheep ranch and yet the schedule had us out on the lake after dark. We couldn't see the supposedly beautiful scenery or sheep station and walking on unlit gravel pitted paths in the dark wasn't really safe. Dinner was after 10 pm and way too late to be enjoyed. Otherwise mostly a long set of bus rides through beautiful spectacular countryside. Queenstown was interesting but didn't really stand out given the short time there or seem worth the cost of this trip. We traveled Dunedin to Milford so perhaps the other way might have been better timing.

Celebrity's response:

Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!

Thank you, everyone for your input. We still have not made up our minds; fortunately, we have some time. My husband retires this Sept., and I am retired, so this may well be our only trip to NZ (unless we win a vacation or the lottery!). We will be visiting the Sounds during the second week of Jan. I know it is considered the rainy season. Are the chances for rain most days usually high (50 percent or more)? Does it usually rain all day or are showers intermittent? Will the ship typically not cruise Dusky and Doubtful Sounds if rain/visibility is poor? Finally, if we choose to do the land tour, we will only be sailing out of Milford Sound (not into it). Will we miss seeing much of its beauty sailing away from rather than into? I appreciate everyone's candor.

Its a LOT of driving!!!

Dunedin to Queenstown is almost four hours. Then Queenstown to Milford Sound is almost four and a half hours.

I haven't done that tour or the cruise but I've travelled those roads more times than I can count. The scenery is lovely in many parts but do you really want to spend that long in a bus???

Plus overnighting in Queenstown really doesn't do it justice. We just spent three weeks there over Christmas and had a great time. Three days would be the minimum I'd consider to enjoy that region of New Zealand and even then you are just brushing the surface.

I'd opt for the albatross & penguin tour personally.

Thank you, everyone for your input. We still have not made up our minds; fortunately, we have some time. My husband retires this Sept., and I am retired, so this may well be our only trip to NZ (unless we win a vacation or the lottery!). We will be visiting the Sounds during the second week of Jan. I know it is considered the rainy season. Are the chances for rain most days usually high (50 percent or more)? Does it usually rain all day or are showers intermittent? Will the ship typically not cruise Dusky and Doubtful Sounds if rain/visibility is poor? Finally, if we choose to do the land tour, we will only be sailing out of Milford Sound (not into it). Will we miss seeing much of its beauty sailing away from rather than into? I appreciate everyone's candor.

January can be surprisingly cold and rainy. Or it can be really dry and hot. Its a bit of a lottery really. Its our summer so it is generally good weather but we got caught out this year with suitcases full of shorts and tshirts in Queenstown over Christmas - the weather was atrocious and we even got snow at one point! The last time we were there at that time of the year it was hot and perfect. If it does rain then it will most probably be either constant drizzle or intermittent showers.

Having said that, the sounds are actually BETTER when its rainy or has been raining. The waterfalls are spectacular!

Its a LOT of driving!!!

Dunedin to Queenstown is almost four hours. Then Queenstown to Milford Sound is almost four and a half hours.

I haven't done that tour or the cruise but I've travelled those roads more times than I can count. The scenery is lovely in many parts but do you really want to spend that long in a bus???

Plus overnighting in Queenstown really doesn't do it justice. We just spent three weeks there over Christmas and had a great time. Three days would be the minimum I'd consider to enjoy that region of New Zealand and even then you are just brushing the surface.

I'd opt for the albatross & penguin tour personally.

I shared this with my husband and he voted albatrosses and penguins too. So we are unanimous!

• 1 month later...
I shared this with my husband and he voted albatrosses and penguins too. So we are unanimous!

After more reading and the additional responses by all, we have decided to do the penguins and albatrosses and stay with the ship. Thank you, everyone, for being candid!

Linda

I think you made a wise choice. Whilst I love the drives from Dunedin to Queenstown, and Queenstown to Milford, it would be very tiring over two days. Otago Peninsula with the albatross colony and the penguin sanctuary is absolutely gorgeous.

Have a serious talk to the NZ weather gods ;) What you really want is overnight rain just before arriving at the sounds, then for it to clear. That way you get the waterfalls and the gorgeous views sparkling in the sun.