Sleep Inn Dania Beach--Publix relocated

fishywood

I know the busy season at Port Everglades is winding down, so file this for future reference. For those who book Sleep Inn Dania Beach specifically to have a grocery store right across the street: Publix has moved to a new plaza about 1/3 mile west on the opposite side of the street from its current location. Figure around a 12-15 minute walk as you cannot walk it as the crow flies; you definitely need to cross Sheridan St. at a traffic light.

Walgreen's is of course still right next to the hotel. And for those looking for more fast food options, opening soon next to the new Publix are Pollo Tropical and (surprise, surprise) another outlet of that ubiquitous overpriced west coast coffee chain.

Edited by fishywood

Wow! That is going to make a big difference to a lot of people! I had booked a reservation at the Sleep Inn but cancelled it because I got a better deal at the Hyatt House. If I had kept my reservation I would be cancelling now because of this. I imagine this will somewhat hurt the Sleep Inn.

Thanks for the heads up. When are they moving?? We stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach in December. We loved this hotel. We always have a rental car for the day before our cruise so this won't affect us too much.

But I am a TA and I currently have 2 bookings for clients at this propery

Yes the move has already been made. I believe they took advantage of the Easter Sunday closure to shift everything over.

All of the Publix stores (Publixes? Publi??) in the East Hollywood area are cramped and out of date. After many years of searching they finally secured a location to build a new store on a closed auto dealership. I haven't been inside yet but this new Publix is supposed to be large enough to handle the volume of two smaller stores--the one next to Sleep Inn that closed and the one at Federal Hwy and Hollywood Blvd where the landlord has been unsuccessfully trying to force them out for years (he has a demolition permit in hand and could sell the vacant land for much, much more than the building).

Edited by fishywood

We stayed at Sleep Inn a few weeks ago and noticed the new location during a cab ride to Red Lobster. The Sign was up and the lights were on inside but it didn't look like the landscaping had been done yet. We did feel that the old location lacked something. Almost looked dirty but the shelves were full. The move will definitely influence us not to stay at Sleep Inn. The hotel needs updating as well.

Much needed and worth the extra 5 minute walk. The only crappy thing is being on the opposite side of the street, but the Publix needed revamping.

There are very few things that are better than walking into a new Publix. It's just a great feeling.

Seriously? You people cannot walk 1/3 of a mile? That is four blocks.

Not sure where the 1/3 of a mile came from but I would say it is at least 1-2 miles. It is NOT a close to walk with 2 six packs of soda and 2 bottles of wine down an extremely busy highway.

Every time we have stayed here we have walked to the Mexican restaurant for supper. Lots cruise people staying at Sleep Inn were there also. Wonder if they will notice less staying at Sleep Inn with the Publix relocated.

Another matter -- will probably stay here Thanksgiving night before our Friday cruise. Will there be a close by restaurant open on Thanksgiving Day?

Not sure where the 1/3 of a mile came from but I would say it is at least 1-2 miles. It is NOT a close to walk with 2 six packs of soda and 2 bottles of wine down an extremely busy highway.

Not even close. It's a half of mile at most from the Sleep Inn. I get it though, it certainly isn't "as" convenient as the old location . . . but it was much needed.

Wow! That is going to make a big difference to a lot of people! I had booked a reservation at the Sleep Inn but cancelled it because I got a better deal at the Hyatt House. If I had kept my reservation I would be cancelling now because of this. I imagine this will somewhat hurt the Sleep Inn.

Hey Jack, would you mind sharing what deal you got on Hyatt House please? I am also interested, best I am seeing so far is $95 for the month of May.

The deal I got on the Hyatt House was through Priceline's Express Deals. With the Express Deal you don't know the name of the hotel you are buying but you do get some "hints". In my case another poster told me this Airport area hotel with a 8 approval rating was the Hyatt house. He was very sure. So on faith I clicked BUY and lo and behold it was the Hyatt House for $78 for the end of February.

Normally a $260 a night hotel. This hotel has a free breakfast, free WiFi, free airport shuttle and a shuttle to the port for $8 pp. And there is a shopping plaza across the street called Oakwood Plaza. There is a Kmart there among other stores.

As far as I could tell this "deal" didn't last long on Priceline. About a week only. I was very very lucky. They may have it again. Don't know.

As I said, I cancelled my reservation for the Sleep Inn when I got the Priceline deal. But if I had not I would be cancelling it now. I must have a place to buy pop and wine close by.

Hey Jack, would you mind sharing what deal you got on Hyatt House please? I am also interested, best I am seeing so far is $95 for the month of May.

They have a deal on Priceline Express deals for $71 a night for what looks to be the Holiday Inn Express Fort Lauderdale Airport South. 2 star, but an 8.8 rating and includes free internet, airport shuttle and breakfast. It's a solid hotel for a pre night. Wine/Pre cruise stuff 1/2 a mile walk.

Seriously? You people cannot walk 1/3 of a mile? That is four blocks.

Some people may have mobility and/or medical conditions that prevent them from walking 4 blocks or even a block for that matter.

Edited by Happy2cruise

That's pathetic.

Unless you have a broken bone or a serious condition if you can't walk 1/3 of a mile with a 12 pack of water you don't have much time left on this planet.

There's no need to do this anyway, when Walgreens sells soda and water. The only thing I can see walking to Publix for would be for the better wine selection than Walgreens has.

There's no need to do this anyway, when Walgreens sells soda and water. The only thing I can see walking to Publix for would be for the better wine selection than Walgreens has.

Publix fried chicken and subs!

That's pathetic.

Unless you have a broken bone or a serious condition if you can't walk 1/3 of a mile with a 12 pack of water you don't have much time left on this planet.

My wife has a blow achilles tendon, she got it while fighting an inmate at the jail she works in. It will probably hurt her for the rest of her life. Walking is painful for her. She is otherwise in fine health. I would not describe it as serious, but still painful.

Can you tell me why she is pathetic?

My wife has a blow achilles tendon, she got it while fighting an inmate at the jail she works in. It will probably hurt her for the rest of her life. Walking is painful for her. She is otherwise in fine health. I would not describe it as serious, but still painful.

Can you tell me why she is pathetic?

IMHO, the only pathetic person is the one who posted that unkind :mad:statement

Edited by Happy2cruise

Publix fried chicken and subs!

And this is why their Chicken Tender Sub is one of my favorite food items. Just kill 2 birds with one stone (fried chicken inside of a sub).

Seriously if I had the money I'd go into business with Publix to open up standalone Publix sub/hot food/Deli shops.

That's pathetic.

Is there a reason to be so rude and hateful??

I was told at a young age that if you don't have anything nice to say it's best to not say anything at all.