Tipping the butler

DelawareTom

We'll be going on a cruise in Sept. on the Summit and will have a sky suite with a butler. We do not expect to place many demands on him (we really only moved up to the sky suite because there were no accessible aqua class cabins), and I was wondering what tipping is appropriate and expected. I know the gratuities are higher in a suite - does that include the butler? Help, please.

We'll be going on a cruise in Sept. on the Summit and will have a sky suite with a butler. We do not expect to place many demands on him (we really only moved up to the sky suite because there were no accessible aqua class cabins), and I was wondering what tipping is appropriate and expected. I know the gratuities are higher in a suite - does that include the butler? Help, please.

Tips are included with your auto tips, anything else is up to you.

We place no demands on our Butler for the two times that we have had one. We really found him to be a nuisance sometimes. I wish that one could book a suite (we did so for the larger stateroom) and not have a Butler. For those that would like one, it can be requested. That said, we tipped our Butler an extra $20. Had we used his services often, we would have tipped more.

We place no demands on our Butler for the two times that we have had one. We really found him to be a nuisance sometimes. I wish that one could book a suite (we did so for the larger stateroom) and not have a Butler. For those that would like one, it can be requested. That said, we tipped our Butler an extra $20. Had we used his services often, we would have tipped more.

Why not, on the first day, tell the Butler that you don't require any of his services and he can just concentrate on those that do require his services? That way, he will not be a nuisance to you and doesn't have to waste any of his time with you.

We do! :rolleyes: He still insist on checking in with us and bringing the treat cart around in the afternoon. It's his job. I think that if he didn't do his job, he would get in trouble. ;)

I was in Concierge Class on my last cruise and ask my room steward not to deliver any afternoon canapés and he made sure none were delievered to my cabin and I don't think he got in trouble for it.

We generally travel in a suite and I too find butlers unnecessary and intrusive. No butlers is one advantage that Princess has over Celebrity.

I suppose if you like throwing parties in your cabin then having a butler adds a certain je ne sais quoi. And they do polish your shoes! But really ... do you cope without a butler at home?

However I don't think telling him not to bother is the answer as the poor guy is probably working to a formula.

Nuisance = tip $20

Yes, I see now how tipping works.

Nuisance = tip $20

Yes, I see now how tipping works.

OMG, I just choked on my water!! Hilarious!

We are in an AQ Suite on the Celebrity Reflection in Dec 2014. My DH wanted to upgrade to a suite because it's my 50th birthday celebration cruise!

Anyway, I've wondered about tipping and the Butler and I have read many forums of people complaining about us "overtippers" because they say the tip is already included in the automatic tips (even the butler's piece).

Here's my take...I've sailed on 9 cruises and we have always tipped our cabin steward, waiter and asst waiter if they have gone above and beyond for us...and most have. We usually give the cabin steward and extra $25-$40, our waiter an extra $25-$40 and our asst waiter maybe an extra $20 on top of the automatic tips.

Our best service was on the Celebrity Equinox up at the Sunset Bar. We tipped our bar server up there, up front, and he was so amazing to us the entire week..that was on top of a few bucks a drink. He spoiled us rotten and we had great conversations with him about his home country.

These people work HARD for their living and many send their money home to their families. We Americans sometimes just think everything is owed to us. Please! Great service = extra tipping.

Thanks for listening to my rant. :) Have fun on your cruises, everyone! All the best.

OMG, I just choked on my water!! Hilarious!

We are in an AQ Suite on the Celebrity Reflection in Dec 2014. My DH wanted to upgrade to a suite because it's my 50th birthday celebration cruise!

Anyway, I've wondered about tipping and the Butler and I have read many forums of people complaining about us "overtippers" because they say the tip is already included in the automatic tips (even the butler's piece).

Here's my take...I've sailed on 9 cruises and we have always tipped our cabin steward, waiter and asst waiter if they have gone above and beyond for us...and most have. We usually give the cabin steward and extra $25-$40, our waiter an extra $25-$40 and our asst waiter maybe an extra $20 on top of the automatic tips.

Our best service was on the Celebrity Equinox up at the Sunset Bar. We tipped our bar server up there, up front, and he was so amazing to us the entire week..that was on top of a few bucks a drink. He spoiled us rotten and we had great conversations with him about his home country.

These people work HARD for their living and many send their money home to their families. We Americans sometimes just think everything is owed to us. Please! Great service = extra tipping.

Thanks for listening to my rant. :) Have fun on your cruises, everyone! All the best.

Great service, we always tip above the pre paid tips. On the subject of tipping, when we go on excursions we always tip the tour guide and driver depending on the length and quality of the tour. The amusing part is when the tour is over people run to the exit in the rear of the bus so they don't have to tip the driver or guide. This is really sad especially if you were given a quality tour experience. These people work hard and count on tips too. Just my opinion :)