Jade Chef's Table Photos - June 2014

run2sea

We were on a 7 day Greek Islands cruise on the Jade out of Venice in late June 2014 when we were approached while sitting at the Great Outdoors by one of the cruise staff selling spots for the "Chef's Table" dining experience which apparently takes place once each cruise and features a 9 course menu with 4 selected wines. We don't often dine at the specialty restaurants and the $99 per person seemed high, but we decided to go for it in celebration of our wedding anniversary. We were glad we did, as we enjoyed great company during this foodie adventure led by Jade Executive Chef Rodney Bennett. These courses included some of the best things we've ever eaten...

Chef+Table+Menu.JPG

Spherical Mango, Vodka, Jalapeno Ravioli

This first course is intended to be eaten in one mouthful and featured a vodka-infused mango scoop with the jalapeno ravioli. It literally "pops" in your mouth.

P6241181.JPG

Orange Wasabi Glaze, Sesame Crisp

The presentation of this course was impressive and the flavors and combination of soft and crisp textures was outstanding. The sesame crisp and small dollop of caviar complemented the ahi nicely.

P6241185.JPG

Edited by run2sea

Cauliflower Flan, Crispy Beetroot and Saffron Angel Hair

Before starting this course, Chef Rodney told us this would be the best soup we had ever tasted. He was right. This course was amazing!

P6241188.JPG

Grapefruit and Moscato

A very refreshing palate cleanser. Despite the Chef's noting that only one or two spoonfuls were needed to cleanse the palate, I think almost everyone around the table came close to finishing this tasty item.

Granita.jpg

St. Andre Triple Crème and Stilton, Honey Comb, Port Wine-Infused Figs, Bagel Chips, Pickled Watermelon

This course was amazing in its combination of flavors and textures as Chef Rodney led us through the recommended combination of items for each mouthful of the different cheeses. The mini-bagel chips he had made himself that day, making the mini-bagels from scratch.

I'm not usually a huge cheese fan, but this course was awesome. Really opened my eyes to some great flavor/texture combinations: sweet, creamy, crunchy all in one mouthful!

Cheeses.jpg

So there you go... a very special evening.

We particularly enjoyed the continuous narrations and explanations of the food selection and preparation and dishes by Chef Rodney. The event itself was in a partitioned section of Le Bistro and there were dedicated staff to provide excellent and synchronized service of foods and wines. We got to know the other 8 participants at the table over the course of the evening. We'll definitely do this again... hope to see you at the table.

We will be on the Jade in December.

How did you arrange the dinner?

If they only do this one night it must be pretty hard to get booked.

Thanks

So much

Edited by pieshops

Thanks

So much

We were literally accosted while sitting at lunch. I heard from some of the other guests who actively sought out this experience and have participated in similar meals before on other cruises (including on other cruise lines) that these can be somewhat hard to get into as you note, so I think we were fortunate. I think on future cruises we'll try and book in advance through our PCC, or at least inquire at the restaurant booking desk by Guest Services as soon as we board.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks

So much

It wasn't difficult for me on the Breakaway. The first afternoon after boarding, just go to one of the restaurants and reserve with the staff in front. I had no problem and it seems since the poster was approached by staff later in the day, shows that sometimes, it needs some promotion to get folks to go.

It wasn't difficult for me on the Breakaway. The first afternoon after boarding, just go to one of the restaurants and reserve with the staff in front. I had no problem and it seems since the poster was approached by staff later in the day, shows that sometimes, it needs some promotion to get folks to go.

How different or similar was your Chef's Table menu on the Breakaway? I got the impression that these are an opportunity for the Executive Chefs to use their creativity and play with locally available foods and ingredients, so I'm curious to learn more about your experience on another vessel. Thanks!

Edited by run2sea

We've been a few times now and the menu is the same across the fleet. There is no local or chef modifications to the menu. It is limited to twelve guests, normally has been difficult to get a reservation. It cannot be booked in advance by anyone and has to be done on the ship. However, if you're in a suite, the pre concierge can express your interest in advance and the concierge can book you in on the pier while you wait to board. If you really want to go, I would go straight to the reservation desk upon boarding. Two cruises back, a party of eight booked upon boarding and there were only spaces for 4 more, we took two of those. Other times they walk through the dining areas soliciting people to sign up. I think a lot of it depends on how knowledgeable the guests are and what the demand is.

We never miss it!!

How different or similar was your Chef's Table menu on the Breakaway? I got the impression that these are an opportunity for the Executive Chefs to use their creativity and play with locally available foods and ingredients, so I'm curious to learn more about your experience on another vessel. Thanks!

Actually, it appears almost identical. I am on the Gem this coming October. I may have to ask to see if the menu will be the same, before I lay out the cash for going. Though I greatly enjoyed it, I would like to experience something different.

I got the impression that these are an opportunity for the Executive Chefs to use their creativity and play with locally available foods and ingredients, so I'm curious to learn more about your experience on another vessel.
The Executive Chef on a mainstream cruise line has about as much opportunity for creativity and playing with local ingredients as the manager of your nearest McDonald's. Their job is to maintain the consistency of the NCL brand fleetwide. As much as possible of the food is shipped from the same warehouse in Miami to all the ships around the world, and this includes the so-called "Chef's Regional Specialties" in the MDR and most of what is served at the Chef's Table. (This is what they told us, point blank, on the behind the scenes tour.)

When we did the Chef's Table last year, the menu was identical (but I think $10 cheaper) and when we asked the chef and hotel director a few questions, it was clear that they weren't personally responsible for or even aware of how each dish was prepared in detail. The chef was there to put on a show, and the show was very entertaining. Most of the food was also very good, and they were extremely generous with the wine. It was an enjoyable evening and I would recommend doing it once, but go in with a realistic understanding of what it is and what it isn't.

Edited by hawkeyetlse