Baltimore to Bermuda on the grandeur, September 12 Review

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the Grandeur Sept 12 -18 cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda.

As others have said, embarking and disembarking in Baltimore is a breeze. The port is literally right off interstate 95 and so easy to get to it.Within minutes of arriving we were onboard and after a walk around to familiarize ourselves with the Grandeur, we headed to Park Cafe for our first lunch onboard - those who recommended the roast beef sandwiches were right - they are delicious! And the Park Cafe is a nice way to miss the hustle and bustle and open platters of foods handled by others like what happens in the buffet at Windjammer.

After lunch we could go to our room, change to swimsuits, and hit the pool. This was the plan, and we did get ready to swim, but this was a special occasion in Baltimore - the 200th anniversary of the writing of The Star-Spangled Banner at Fort McHenry during the War of 1812. In honor of the occasion the Blue Angels were doing an air show, and we figuratively had ringside seats, with the jets flying right over our ship. I have never seen the Blue Angels perform before and it is truly amazing.

Recommendation - if you are staying in the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore the night before you cruise, take the water taxi to get around the harbor, include a stop at Fort McHenry if you are interested in US History.

Before you know it, its time to sail away, and it is a great port to sail from. The views along the Chesapeake are punctuated with great sights, including passing under the Key Bridge, then a little later under the Bay Bridge. Soon it was time for dinner. We had any time but favor an early dinner. Then close to midnight, over the tunnel portion of the bay bridge-tunnel. Its fascinating to see the lights of the bridge disappear into the waters over the tunnel..

This cruise only had one port- Bermuda.

CREW

This was my first experience on the Grandeur, and I was impressed! The crew is super. I can not possibly say enough great things about this crew. These are the most friendly, competent, terrific crew I have ever sailed with.

FOOD

As an Elite loyalty program member of Celebrity I have always heard and believed Celebrity had the best food - but our experience was the best ever on Grandeur. Each meal was a delight. I even liked the coffee. On our last cruise on the Celebrity Solstice we drank tea with every meal because the regular coffee was awful. this was pretty good on the Grandeur. Other than a galley tour/brunch we did not eat at any specialty restaurants, because we were so pleased with the staff and the food in the MDR. And that Galley tour/Brunch was spectacular! Lobster tail, huge shrimp, seafood skewers with shrimp and scallops, inch thick veal medallions were highlights, Mimosas and Bellinis were unlimited during the buffet brunch. I loved this brunch.

ENTERTAINMENT

The cruise director was always present, and there was a nice mix of activities. My only criticism is that the music is so loud at the pool deck that it is painful.

And with the volume so high, when someone is talking on the mike, you can not understand anything that is said.

The shows were pretty standard, though the second night, there was a singer, whose name I was sure I would remember but can not recall now except first name Zach. He was excellent, and my favorite show of this cruise. The production shows were okay, but nothing special.

BERMUDA

the 6 day itinerary is promoted as 3 days in Bermuda, but we really had only one good port day. We arrived at 4pm on sunday, when public transportation stops at 6pm, so if you didn't use an excursion or a cab, you couldn't go to a beach other than the little snorkel park at the docklands. I heard several people say the glass bottom boat was a waste of time and money, but since we did not do this (or any other) tour I couldn't speak to this.

Our full day in Bermuda was wonderful.

We had bought our 1 day transportation pass for $15 sunday afternoon, so we just walked over to the St Georges Ferry for the first run at 9:15. Arriving in St Georges we walked around the town to see the local sites, then walked by the Unfinished Church, to Tobacco Bay. Although it includes a hill, its an easy .8km walk to the beach - and its a beautiful beach with easy snorkeling in protected calm waters. We were enjoying the beach so much that we stayed longer than originally planned and were in the water for well over 90 minutes. I overheard a couple discussing an excursion they took and that there were more fish and better snorkeling experience at this beach than they saw on the snorkel catamaran tour to the reef. My personal experience, this really was a great place to snorkel.

The facilities include a rest room and changing room, but no shower. We were able to rinse hair and face in the sink, and change into dry clothes. We were also able to refill our water bottles for free at the concession stand. they also sell bottled water, snacks, and drinks and have umbrellas and chairs available

We walked back to town just in time to catch the hourly bus #1 back towards Hamilton, passing the Swizzle Inn and The Caves. We got off at the stop for the Botanical Garden (I'm an avid gardener). We didn't see the entrance so missed it, circling around the hospital looking for the gardens. Finally found it, and spent about an hour walking through the gardens. It was HOT, and even though the gardens are lovely, we felt drained by this walk. Exiting the gardens helpful locals showed us where to get the #7 bus towards the Dockyards - this bus runs every 15 minutes. This is the bus that passes all the South Beaches including Warwick and Horseshoe Bay. But we were so drained from the heat that we just stayed on the bus, and went back to the ship. Altogether our self-guided day in Bermuda was a successful 6+ hours, but if I had it to do over I would have skipped the gardens in the heat, and stopped at either Warwick or Horseshoe Bay.

Our last day in Bermuda was short since we needed to return to the ship by 11am for departure at noon.

We stayed in the Dockyards, exploring the shops. Its a pretty area, but not much to do with such a brief time before departure.

Overall, we loved this cruise, loved the ship, loved Bermuda...Our next time in Bermuda we will probably look closer at itinerary to chose a cruise with more time in port, maybe look for a 7 day. Definitely want more time than we had in Bermuda. But would definitely do more Baltimore to Bermuda cruises on the Grandeur!

Thanks for your review. I've been tempted more and more by the Grandeur because it is a close port. We've done the Explorer twice (once to Bermuda) and I'm so tempted for 2015....we will see. Horseshoe beach was beautiful the day we were there and wouldn't hesitate to go there again...Warwick doesn't have facilities and only a lunchtruck but it also was a beautiful spot.

My daughter snorkeled at Horseshoe and enjoyed it. I wasn't all that impressed with the shops around the dockyard (which made DH happy because I didn't spend much money there). Bermuda is beautiful and I hope to go back there again on a cruise soon.

First time on grandeur in December. Need tips, suggestions, what to not miss. :o

We always enjoy the "Love and Marriage" show, and the shows featuring comedians are usually pretty good, especially when they incorporate guests in their acts. Grandeur is a small enough ship that you will run into those guests several times over the cruise, and often crack a smile at the humor they helped provide a few evenings go.The Sexiest Man Contest, International Belly Flop contest, and the Quest are also not to be missed.

The Main Dining room food is usually always pretty good, excellent breakfast in the MDR if you are not rushing out early for an excursion. Don't forget the 2nd formal night has the Fisherman's platter on the menu which includes a lobster tail and shrimp. As was noted above, the Kummelweck Roast Beef Sandwiches and the made to order salads at the Park Café are always good. The centrum aerial shows are good, but if you don't get a good seat early it is hard to enjoy trying to see over others heads.

Poolside by the solarium is a great quiet alternative to being poolside by the main pool.

Have Fun!!!

Mike

Herbanrenewal- I am wondering if we met you at Tobacco Bay. I remember talking to two ladies who knew I was from the ship(probably from the towels). There were two couples and I was attempting to snorkel. There was a lady feeding the fish and trying to get them near me.

We also did the Giovanni's brunch and kitchen tour. It was really good!