AQ or Concierge on Soltice for Alaska?

NOSaints1

Trying to decide what stateroom to choose, whatre the advantages and disadvantages of both rooms, and another question do they still have the half price deposit and 123. With the 123 what beverage package do you get and what does it include? Never sailed on Celebrity only on Carnival so a little clueless. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trying to decide what stateroom to choose, whatre the advantages and disadvantages of both rooms, and another question do they still have the half price deposit and 123. With the 123 what beverage package do you get and what does it include? Never sailed on Celebrity only on Carnival so a little clueless. Thanks for your input.

Hi NOSAINTS1,

Other than The Blu DR in reality there is not a lot of difference between these two classes (see Celebrity's List of What Each Class Includes here = http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/staterooms )

And in truth often these two classes are priced identically... Or sometimes one more than the other (can alternate) just depends which one is more in demand at the time.

The greatest difference on The Solstice in these two are Cabin Locations... With the higher decked & more midship cabins being the norm for being more expensive than a forward or aft cabin. The one exception are the Sunset Afts (A1s & C1s) with their wider view, they often are premium real estate (although if you have any rough water... You will definitely feel it a lot more being far forward or far aft !!)

Solstice - Deck Plans = http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-solstice#Deck_Plans/ships/celebrity-solstice/deck-plans

NOTE - Celebrity Solstice is TOO BIG to do the entire inside passage from Canada to Alaska (she does do some of it) so some if your time will be spent in the ocean sailing off the West Coast of British California

Aqua Class on The S-Class Ships are up top on Deck 11 under the overhang (shaded) as well as being below the publc areas of the Pool & Solarium Deck (midship to forward). These can have noise issues etc

The Aquas Midship to Aft on Deck 11 will be under other cabins on Deck 12... So quieter

Be sure and check the S-Class Cabin Spreadsheet STICKY at the top of this Forum for more info

NOTE - The S-Class Ships are similar in footprint & layout... But not all of them are identical in regards to location of cabin numbers. So if you are working with the STICKY be sure to look at Deck Plans for the relative ships as well. Cabins in spite of having different numbers, will have similar pros & cons if they are in identical locations on the ships

Mr Sloop & I sailed on The Solstice in 2012, and we had a C2 Cabin (1120) Deck 10 Midship... One of the angled oversized balconies. Ours was 1st off "the hump" (largest of the grouping) right at the widest part of the ship on "the point" which gave us AMAZING views out, up, down, as well as fore & aft along the curvy sides of the ship. And we were on the backside of "the hump" so wind was not a huge issue... I would book this FABULOUS cabin again in a heartbeat because of its oversized balcony which had a nice mix of cover & shade (little coverage on S-Class Sunset Balconies, and not very private either as they are tiered down the back of the ship, and the majority if balconies back here are just regular sized) the central location... Just feet from the Attrium Elevators (no Elevators Aft on the S-Class) so easy to get around this HUGE Ship.

You will find Aqua Cabins in similar locations around "the hump" on Deck 11

Photo - S-Class Aft Balconies from above / Oceanview Backdeck (not my photo) = http://i48.tinypic.com/ta5uol.jpg

When you book as a Member of the Captain's Club you will indeed be able to book the 1 sub-category upgrade, but you MUST REQUEST IT. (there are some restrictions... It does not apply to all categories such as C2s to C1s, Suites etc. And not always to every sailing... Ie Holidays, Special Events etc)

As for the 50% Reduced Deposit... that is a Captain's Club Perk you also have to ask for. There have been reports here on CC that it is not always given (seems to be a change since the Captain's Club revamp, and the new Future Cruises Program). Still tho worth asking...

Currently Celebrity is running their 123Go All Inclusive Promotion... With this you get ALL 3 of the usual 123Go Promos... Classic Bevvy Pkg for 2 - Daily Grats for 2 - and OBC for the Cabin (Amount of OBC is based on the length of cruise) this offer is good for Concierge - Aqua - and Suites

There are also other 123Go Promos for Oceanview Cabins & above

Which brings up another thought...

On the S-Class Ships you will find equally well located midship cabins in other classes (ie 1As) at a cost saving vs Concierge or Aqua. So it will all depend on how much you'll miss the better amenities vs the cost savings.

--- --- ---

Celebrity also traditionally runs an M-Class Ship to Alaska as well. The somewhat smaller ship means the Itinerary will be different (more of the Inside Passage). As well the M-Class Ships have those AMAZING C1 & A1 Aft Cabins... If I was going to Alaska, as much as I LOVE The Solstice, I think personally I'd opt for an M-Class Ship Sunset Aft Cabin

Hope this helps in your making a decision

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Functionally, the only differences between concierge and aqua are that in aqua:

1. Your main dining room is Blu, which is like dining in a specialty restaurant (better quality, IMHO, can be seated anytime, nice ocean views).

2. You can go to Persian gardens for free (else a small charge, lie on heated tule lounge chairs, many people do not go anyway)

3. Shower head in aqua has lots of showers heads over body

4. Footstool on balcony

Really, #1 is the main difference.

Both give you more points toward Captains club status.

-Joel

So if you had to pick a M ship for a Celebrity first timer, which one would you pick, for restaurants, Onboard activities and for the intenerays.

I missed the part where you said you were NEW to Celebrity (Welcome)

That is going to mean you probably won't qualify / find a Phone Rep willing to give you the Captain's Club 1 Sub-Category Upgrade or the 50% Reduced Deposit :(

As Ships to Alaska, for 2015 & 2016 Celebrity will have The Solstice (S-Class) as well as Infinity & Millienium (M-Class) in this region

Celebrity - Alaska Cruises = http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-search/search-results?isWidget=false&dest=ALCAN&sailStartDate=ANY&sailEndDate=ANY&ship=ANY&port=ANY#isWidget=false&selectedInput=&dest=ALCAN&sailStartDate=ANY&sailEndDate=ANY&ship=ANY&port=ANY&duration=ANY&cruisesOnly=Y&accessCabin=&promoid=&promoType=&promotionTypeId=&priceProgram=&sortBy=7&startRow=0&count=10&cruiseType=CO&cruiseInt=&isCrieriaExcluded=false&portOfCall=&tourCode=&state=&captain_id=&couponCodes=&isSenior=&isMilitary=&isFireandPolice=

As I said, the smaller ships are going to give you a different perspective than the bigger ones case they can get INTO much tighter areas.

We have not done Alaska yet (on our Bucket List) so hopefully others will comment here for you who have with their take regarding Itineraries and M vs S Class etc... Know there are some who have gone to Alaska multiple times with Celebrity

Ships alone...

The Solstice (launched 2008) is a bigger ship, both in size & pax. She has a clean modern look... Lots of open space, glass & chrome etc. Because she has 2800 Pax she has a lot more venues.

The Millienium (launched 2000) and The Infinity (launched 2001) carry 2100 pax, and have more of an old world feel... More wood, rich fabrics, deeper colours etc.

Mr Sloop & I have sailed both M & S Class Ships.... Solstice in 2012 & Summit in 2013 (and we have 2 more upcoming cruises on M-Class Ships, and considering a 3rd on an S-Class Ship)

We like both classes. We just see them as part of the Celebrity Family with enough familiar things to keep us happy... Good food, wine, service, and venues we love.

However we are in our 50s & 60s, so although the S-Class Ships are GORGEOUS we are not less impressed with the M-Class without all the glitz & glamour (I know on CC that often younger pax who have sailed both M & S Classes can be disappointed by the less modern look / feel of the M-Class Ships). For us that is not a priority... We look more to the REAL things that matter to us than just decor.

Why does this matter ?

Well first off Alaska attracts more of an older Demographic when it comes to cruising (although there will also be some younger couples & families). And as such the feel of the cruise will be quite different vs a Caribbean one. Also with such a busy Itinerary chances are higher that there will be less late night partiers. (Some have actually called Alaska Cruises... On any line to be rather "sleepy")

As I said I have not done Alaska... But I do have several Friends & Family who have (HAL & Princess). They very much represent both ends of the scale... My Parents in their 80s went more for the scenery (early to rise, dine, and hit the hay)... And Friends in their 50s who went for the active lifestyle / adventure (sea kayaking, hiking, helicopter tours, float planes etc). Lol, they were able to burn the candle at both ends !!! But commented that they were very much disappointed that the ship they were on (Coral Princess) was far too quiet for them in the evening...

If glitz & glamour... And higher energy / younger demographic is important to you I'd go with The Solstice.

If these things don't matter so much... I'd go with either of the M-Class Ships... Infinity or Millienium

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We have sailed AQ on S-class and concierge on M-Class and were happy with both.

A2 on the Solstice has a better location, IMHO. The mid-aft and aft cabins are under cabins. The forward A2 are under the spa and gym so might be noisy. A1 - which are more expensive because they are mid-ship - are under the Pool!!!!! :eek: If you are not bothered by the noise of moving chairs or the live music, then A1 has a great location.

Concierge class can be forward, aft, midship. C1s are aft and face the wake - bigger balconies as well. C1 is frequently more expensive than A2s and sometimes A1s.

C2 and C3 are located forward, mid, and aft (but not the wake facing aft).

Amenities for Aqua Class include all Concierge amenities but add on Blu, persian gardens, and that wonderful shower with the spa shower heads!!!!!

Both will give you 5 points per night in the Captain's Club.

Enjoy

Debbi

"Hi Quentin it's Mike from Celebrity Cruises following up with you again. We haven't spoken in quite a while back. Just to let you know the Alaska 2016 did come out there is some amazing promotion that are out right now with price it's Lois. So give me a call at your convenience as soon as possible so we can discuss it and see if you're interested in putting a half deposit cos if you still those before another promotion as you get have-to(?) this is a text I got.

If you can score one of the relatively new AQ cabins on the aft (Millennium) they are wonderful. #1140 is the largest. The two either side of it are next biggest and the two outside ones a bit smaller but still very large compared to most balconies. Some said they were bothered by smoke on the port side so you might want to stick to #1130, 1138 or 1140 if they are not gone. We had #1130 and it was great.

If you sail Solstice out of Seattle, you will miss the most spectacular part of the inside passage which is between Vancouver and Vancouver Island. You will sail up the west coast of the island in open sea.

Footstools come in both Conceirge and Aqua Class.

As for the Alaska interaries? I would check the Alaska forum. There

are hundred's of threads over there with good information.

There are only so many routes Celebrity offers....out of Seattle, out of Vancouver

and the North/South bound out of Seward. Depends on how far you

want to travel really and what you want to see. Or you can check with Celebrity and they

can tell you what specific itineraries are offered. Not to miss places,

everyone has their own opinions about that one.

The least expensive times? That can vary....the Alaska season is

short....starts in late April/early May and it ends in September. You

need to just check what month is best for you and what prices are

being offered. Sometimes late in the season is lower in price the

the middle of the season.

Oh, the biggest difference in AQ and CC is Blu....AQ class cabins have Blu

as their own restaurant.

Edited by Lois R

I did Solstice out of Seattle to Alaska in August in Aqua. If the prices are near the same go for Aqua as others have said since you have your own restaurant. It is like going to a Specialty Restaurant every night. If the prices are not in your range I would just get a regular veranda cabin. The cabins for veranda, Concierge and Aqua are all basically the same except for some of the veranda's. This applies to all the S class ships. The Concierge benefits are in my opinion nothing but fluff or advertising hype. You get all the benefits of Concierge in Aqua plus the Aqua perks.

If you are looking at other trips to Alaska, the Seattle itinerary is the worst of Celebritys ships. You leave from Seattle and one day going and one coming back are in the Pacific Ocean while the other trips go up the inside passage. The Victoria, BC stop on the last night is really a waste due to the time alloted and the evening hours. One big advantage to the Solstice is on our cruise they had a naturalist Brent Nixon who was almost worth the fare himself, fabulous and informative.

As I stated the other trips in Alaska have better itineraries and bringing this back around to the question about Concierge, M class ships are entirely different. Concierge cabins have good locations and if lucky you can snag one with a great veranda which is nice in Alaska. My bottom line on Concierge is I would not book one on an S. class ship unless it was almost free but I would book one for extra money on an M class ship.

Good luck.