When We Get Back.....Time to KILL!!

hillcitygirl

returning to Miami on a Thursday....

Flight leaves late afternoon.

What are some ideas of things to do till flight leaves. We will have about 4 hours to kill.

What is the most enjoyable way to KILL this 4 hours in Miami....?????

On one of our cruises out of Miami we had to to kill after cruise. (Not sure if 4 hours is enough), but we did an Everglades tour through Carnival. it was nice. Your luggage stayed on the bus and they took us straight to the airport.

returning to Miami on a Thursday....

Flight leaves late afternoon.

What are some ideas of things to do till flight leaves. We will have about 4 hours to kill.

What is the most enjoyable way to KILL this 4 hours in Miami....?????

You'll want to skip the Everglades now through about the beginning of October.

South Beach is always fun.

Take a cab to News Café for lunch and people watch. It is always fun to walk around South Beach and walk the freak show!

Find out if your ship allows for your bags to be sent ahead. Some ships and ports allow for that. Otherwise a car rental will be the best bet, if up to that.

If you sign up for a ship's post cruise excursion, you still will be dropped off at the airport by 1.

This is our trip when we get RETURN from the cruise. Our flight does not leave MIA until 5:45.

We need somewhere for the luggage to be stored till time to go to the airport to return home.

Did you mean the Ship/Cruise line will arrange for you bags to be taken to the airport for you? We are sailing on Victory/Carnival.

Yes, some ships will let you send your bags ahead to the airport at some ports. Not sure for your ship. Ask that on the Carnival board.

Another option is to go to the airport via cab and store them there. But I think TSA only allows for luggage storage for maybe 3 or 4 hours ????? But from the airport then you can get to South Beach easily on their flier bus for around 3.00 each way.

But that's a pain too. Then you might as well rent a car nearby the port for a few hours, keep your bags in the trunk and return it at the airport.

Another option if you just want to stroll somewhere, maybe plan a lunch at a hotel restaurant. They will likely be able to store your luggage for a tip for a few hours as you will be considered a guest.

The shorter length of time ( yes that's not as bad as late flights) you have to blow makes it kind of hard. I know sitting for that long even at MIA where there is lots of shopping and restaurants is tough.

Edited by eandj

FYI...just heard back from my PVP. Luggage Express not an option if cruise is for less than 6 days....

6 days or longer Carnival sends straight to airport with participating airport.

We are only 5 days so we don't qualify.....:mad:

Another option is to go to the airport via cab and store them there. But I think TSA only allows for luggage storage for maybe 3 or 4 hours ????? But from the airport then you can get to South Beach easily on their flier bus for around 3.00 each way.

According to MIA's website (http://www.miami-airport.com/baggage_storage.asp):

Baggage Checkroom / Storage

The Baggage Checkroom is located at
map-terminal-central-sm.jpg
map-letter-yellow-e.jpg
, level 2 and is open from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Storage charges are subject to

(maximum storage time is 60 days at daily rates).

So the opening/closing times would work for the OP and then take the Miami Beach Airport flier bus to/from Miami Beach (http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/bus-airport-flyer.asp):

The
makes traveling to or from
to Miami Beach fast, easy and convenient.
For just $2.65 each way, passengers can ride in style aboard 40-foot buses equipped with luggage racks and comfortable seating.
The Miami Beach Airport Flyer runs every 30 minutes and provides express service from 6 a.m. to 11:40 p.m., seven days a week, between the Miami International Airport Metrorail station (just a short MIA Mover ride away from MIA) and Miami Beach (from 41st Street to South Pointe Drive)

You'll want to skip the Everglades now through about the beginning of October.

South Beach is always fun.

Take a cab to News Café for lunch and people watch. It is always fun to walk around South Beach and walk the freak show!

I'm curious, is it because of the heat? Bugs? SNAKES!!!!! Lol, it's just that's what our plan was in a couple weeks. We are from oregon so only real chance we will get to visit the everglades.

Our other option was south beach.

I'm curious, is it because of the heat? Bugs? SNAKES!!!!! Lol, it's just that's what our plan was in a couple weeks. We are from oregon so only real chance we will get to visit the everglades.

Our other option was south beach.

If you don't think you'll be back don't miss going to the Everglades! According to the National Park Service website (http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/hours.htm) :

During the busy,
(winter), most facilities are open and a full range of tours and programs are available to enjoy. During the slow,
(summer), facilities may have restricted hours or close altogether, and recreational opportunities may be at a minimum.

The Everglades are mild and pleasant from December through April, with low humidity and clear skies. Temperatures reach average highs of 77°F and lows of 53°F. Though strong cold fronts may occasionally create near freezing conditions, such events are rare in this subtropical climate.

Dry conditions and lower temperatures bring about significant changes in the Everglades landscape. More troublesome insects, such as mosquitoes and biting flies, become virtually non-existent in most areas of the park. As water levels drop during the dry season, large numbers of animals congregate around remnant water holes, making wildlife viewing an easy endeavor. Birding is exceptional too, as many species winter in the relative warmth of the South Florida wilds.

Owing to both an abundance of wildlife and comfortable conditions, the dry season is the time of highest visitation in the Everglades. One can expect to find crowds of people at some of the more popular destinations, though opportunities for solitude are diverse and plentiful. During this time, a wide array of ranger programs and tours are offered. Those planning a visit during the dry season are encouraged to make reservations in advance for camping, lodging, and tours.

This is what I would do.

Take a cab to the government center Metro Rail station.

Have the man of the house take the luggage to the airport

via the Orange Orange line (Metro Rail).

Drop off luggage at the luggage storage guy.

While the man of the house is tasked with the luggage

the rest of the family can go to a cafe of your choice.

When the luggage deliverer is done, meet up at the

Goverment Center station.

Then take the train to see Vizcaya for a tour of the grounds.

When done take the Orange Line back to MIA.

Well....since MY Man of the House will be home in GA along with all the other lady's Men of The House traveling with me.....that is not a good option for us.

If you want to volunteer to be Man of the House for that task.......:D

Between9and5.com is a site you could check out. Supposed to give you options for a day room. Maybe you could have a pool day with your friends. I'm not familiar with the site or prices for your date. I think the Sofitel offers them if vacancies allow.

Edited by eandj