Salerno to Pompeii

B&J1

We would like to DIY via train most likely (assuming that it's doable) from Salerno to Pompeii. Could someone please "walk" me from the ship to Pompeii. This will be our first time to Italy (Europe for that matter) and am a bit uneasy since mi Italiano non e molto bene.

Also, I tried the listed site (from a 2012 thread) to reserve in advance spots for the houses that are open in Pompeii but the link didn't work. Does anyone have a more current link if there is one.

Thx for the help!

Brian

Doing Pompeii from Salerno is perfectly reasonable by train; you'll be using the Trenitalia train system rather than the local Circumvesuviana that most take from Naples.

I haven't done it from Salerno so I will leave it to someone else to give you specifics on the transit.

Regarding houses in Pompeii, recent improvements at the site (e.g., hiring more personnel) have made the need to reserve visits in advance unnecessary. More houses are now open on a regular basis, but do understand that they rotate which ones are open to avoid wear and tear on them. You should ask at the Information Center at the Porta Marina entrance which houses are open on the day you go.

You absolutely MUST NOT miss the Villa of the Mysteries, which is nearly always open and has just had a stunning restoration of the famous frescoes. Another house that was closed for years but is now open is the House of the Vettii, one of the richest in the town. If it is open, definitely go there.

I would also recommend you see the Forum Baths (if they are open); I think they are the best of the three sets of public baths that can be visited.

Edited by cruisemom42

From Molo Manfredi, the Salerno cruise port (stazione marittima) to Salerno Centrale is just under two miles. It's a pleasant walk along the waterfront but you can also cover most of the distance (from Molo Manfredi to Piazza Concordia) by public bus. There are several on this route that will work (#2, #5, #6, #9).

Bus info here: http://www.cstp.it/v2/orariurbanesalerno.html

The train takes between 30 - 45 minutes and the station in Pompei is one half mile from the Anfiteatro entrance to the ruins.

You can see the location of the station and the ruins on this map (train station in quadrant D6, Anfiteatro entrance in C4: http://unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

THX MUCH!! very helpful...map of Pompei area is perfect. One last question....do we catch the bus directly in front of the port in Salerno or do we need to walk a few blocks somewhere to catch it?

There's a stop very close to the point where you walk out of Molo Manfredi.

The stop is on Via Porto, to reach it you walk out of the port exit (along Via Molo Manfredi) and make the first left you can. This will be either Via Molo Vecchio or the traffic circle at Largo Perri, it depends on the security and construction situation when you are there. Either way you'll make the next left onto Via Porto. The stop is just past the intersection of Via Porto and Via Molo Vecchio. The total distance is between 2/10ths - 4/10ths of a mile, depending on exactly where your ship is berthed.

Was just in Pompei last week. I took the local train from Sorrento which lets you off a five minute walk tops to the entrance. I have no idea where the station is where the Trenitalia train lets you off!

The OP is asking about Salerno, not Sorrento ;)

I know that. It's the train line from Naples to Sorrento that stops at the Pompei ruins. Not the Trenitalia line. That is what I was talking about.

The Trenitalia train line also stops at Pompeii, just not as close to the entrance as the Circumvesuviana line. But going from Salerno, it's the easiest way.

There's a stop very close to the point where you walk out of Molo Manfredi.

The stop is on Via Porto, to reach it you walk out of the port exit (along Via Molo Manfredi) and make the first left you can. This will be either Via Molo Vecchio or the traffic circle at Largo Perri, it depends on the security and construction situation when you are there. Either way you'll make the next left onto Via Porto. The stop is just past the intersection of Via Porto and Via Molo Vecchio. The total distance is between 2/10ths - 4/10ths of a mile, depending on exactly where your ship is berthed.

Exactly what I wanted! :)

& Thx to u also cruisemom....I've been reading alot of info from ur Pompeii posts. :)

3 ports done, 5 more to go....getting there.