Taking liquor on board-ways to do it?

UTRIPUMP

I have not taken anything on board with me...but many people do take rolling coolers with soda, water, some put beer on the bottom hoping it won't be seen. Don't put any ice in it or they will make you poor it out. If you check it with porters make sure it is taped up or locked. As far as liquor...you can roll it up in towels and put it in your suitcase. I would say wrap it in some kind of plastic first. You are allowed some wine and champagne so that could go in your carry on...no problem. If you are flying in I would say wait until you get on land to buy it and put it whereever. For me...I just say if I can't afford the liquor on board I shouldn't be going. That's just me. I have nothing against anyone that does. We all have a budget!!!:D You can find alot of threads on this subject just keep looking...I'm not an expert here since I haven't done it myself.

I actually put my vodka (left over from the pre-cruise party we had the night before) in my water bottle and took it on and

we also had a small bottle of Absolute Vodka that we just carried on in our carryons and didn't get stopped.

would like to take some rum.....maybe softdrinks also.......

would like suggestions and/or input.....conquest 10/9/05

---I work for a company that shippes palets and they wrap the items sitting on the palets with heavy duty plastic wrap ,,,they come on these big rolls ,when they run out of the plastic wrap they are left with this heavy duty card board tubes that you cant break even if you jump on them I take the tubes and can fit liquor or wine inside them and then you duct tape the ends and they can fit in your luggage that you check at the port and even if you have soft luggage they wont break even when they stack 100s of lbs over your luggage ---hows that sound!!

there r those of us who dont feel cheap to want to take our liquor aboard. we have wine w/dinner & cocktails whenever, but we prefer stronger drinks tan the foo foo drinks. i also like vodka & diet tonic (which i have to bring myself) i can afford to buy the drinks & do, but i want to drink in my cabin & think a $30 bottle which cost $10-15 here is a rip.

We usually buy Captain Morgan's before we board the ship but AFTER we leave the airport. That way we don't have to worry about it opening while being loaded on the plane. They sell it in a plastic travel bottle. Wrap in a towel (and in a ziploc bag) and put in on the SIDE of your luggage (sides are hard and will cushion the impact). Then simply check luggage at the pier. When in port, we buy it and pour into empty water bottles and wrap in a beach towel. The plastic bottle will go through the xray machine and they very rarely dig through wet suits and towels.

bubble wrap your original bottle, place in large plastic bag and seal <ziplock works well> and then wrap in clothes, place in middle of your suitcase (checked luggage) on top of and underneath clothes--usually works for me...we fly in the day before and i carry my liquor in carryon luggage when flying, but move to the above procedure before heading to the pier.

there r those of us who dont feel cheap to want to take our liquor aboard. we have wine w/dinner & cocktails whenever, but we prefer stronger drinks tan the foo foo drinks. i also like vodka & diet tonic (which i have to bring myself) i can afford to buy the drinks & do, but i want to drink in my cabin & think a $30 bottle which cost $10-15 here is a rip.

I don't know that anyone feels cheap by bringing their own aboard. It's a hell of a lot more convenient to have a cocktail from your own "stash" in your cabin while getting ready for dinner then it would be to go up or down to a bar.

On my last cruise, I put some tequila in a Listerine bottle and, as a test, just placed vodka in its original bottle at the top of my clothes in my checked luggage. Both made it just fine (I bought them in Cocoa Beach after my flight, of course). I did put the Listerine bottle in a water-proof camping pouch for which I'm glad, because it did leak just a little bit.

We usually take several two liter Diet Cokes and some bottled water with us in a separate suitcase. If anybody were to look closely, one of the "Cokes" is a little lighter because it is mostly Jack. Put those in a plastic bag in case they leak because your checked luggage will get some very rough handling. The extra suitcase comes in handy for souvenirs later. Six fun cruises, no problems yet. :p

I did feel sorry for some folks at the Port of NO a few years back. A porter threw a bag on the pile, everyone heard a crunch, and the whole place reeked of rum. :eek: Don't try a glass bottle unless you wrap it very, very well.

I smuggle the mornings "Bloody Marys" aboard in my stomach and last nites cocktails in my blood stream. Sometimes a few beers in my bladder. Plenty of room for everything. Now if only I colud find the right ship.....:D

You can carry on soft drinks and water in "reasonable quanities". Which means that if you get a security person having a bad hair day, the amount you have will be an unreasonable amount.

Dan

I'm sure this will cause me to get flamed, but my question is this:

Do you think that just because you don't like a rule or that the rule is unfair that you simply can do as you please? I assume that cruise lines who prohibit you from bringing your own liquor onboard do so in order to keep the prices of cruising low (after all, they do make a handsome profit at the bars).

Just my spin on it, but the ethical thing to do is to not bring the alcohol on board ships that prohibit you from doing so. If you want to bring on your own booze, pay for a cruise that permits you to do so.

CroozBlooz, I respect your opinion and there is no flame here, but I disagree. If the "no alcohol" policy was repealed, I doubt there would be much impact on the cruise line's bottom line, since so many factors affect that. I'd gladly pay another $10 of cruise fare to get rid of the rule.

I think about my cruise cabin as I do a hotel room. When was the last time you stayed at a hotel that did not allow alcohol in the room? Maybe at the Salvation Army boarding house, but I can't think of many other places. It's my room while I am there, my home away from home, and I will enjoy a cocktail there if I please.

Truth be told, Carnival really does not care if responsible adults have a nip in their room; they probably just "officially" prohibit the booze for liability reasons, and to try and boost profit a bit - who can blame them? But who also can blame me for wanting to have things my way in my home away from home?

salty dingo -

I have to agree. My opinion, as long as what you bring is consumed in the room you booked for the length of your cruise I don't really understand the problem in bringing what you like. The odds are, if you enjoy having a few cocktails, you are not going to go all the way to your room every time you would like one. But, if you are relaxing in your cabin, you probably won't leave your cabin just to go grab one either.Personally, I'm on vacation and just want to spend that small amount of time doing things exactly as I want.

By the way, every hotel stay, I bring a cooler stuffed with whatever I want at that particular time.

I just got of the Sensation and had a 12 pack cooler filled with Diet Coke (no ice) that was strapped to my rolling carry-on. Security helped me load it onto xray and never said a word.

Nanc

You are allowed to bring a "reasonable" amount of soda. :)

I just got back 8-28 from conquest,We brought about three bottles with us in our checked luggage -no problems whatsoever. They sell plastic travel bottles of captain morgan ,vodka etc..I bought those and wrappped them in a kitcken towel and put a plastic bag over it -incase it leaked.

I have been on 5 cruises. Every one of them has had "imported" beverages. I have packed beer in a coke case. I have discovered that the Gatorade bottles are made of thicker plastic.:D They are a little smaller too. So.... you can keep you beverage of choice chilled in smaller quantities. It's easier to enjoy as well. These smaller bottles pack well in a beach bag, so that you can carry this to the pool...;) Also, bring a colapsable cooler. Pay the cabin attendant extra to keep ice in the cooler. I have NEVER had problems with that.....

Only a professional would get away with that......

Bamagolf

Archived