Choosing a pacific cruise on Princess

RMS Olympic

I am contemplating a pacific cruise of 11 to 12 days in length.

Princess has three different itineraries that have caught my eye:

1.Papua New Guinea out of Brisbane

2.New Zealand out of Sydney terminating in Auckland

3.New Caledonia & Vanuatu out of Brisbane or Sydney

My impression is that:

Papua New Guinea would be the most tropical and beach scene.

The New Zealand route would be mostly city/ urban sightseeing.

New Caledonia would be a mix of the other two.

If anyone has taken any of these cruises, I would like to get some opinions to help me decide which to choose. I have been to Australia (Sydney and Port Douglas about 10 years ago but not on a cruise).

The Papua New Guinea cruise looks to be the most unique, but if it is mostly beach time and snorkeling I can do that in the Caribbean without having to fly 14 to 16 hours.

Any help in deciding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Although I have not done a cruise to Papua New Guinea, I was on the Sun Princess in 2012 out of Brisbane to Vanuatu & New Caledonia and the Sea Princess 2013 Brisbane to New Zealand roundtrip. Both cruises were wonderful but very different, so if you were looking for a 'Pacific Island' experience then the New Caledonia and Vanuatu cruise would be my recommendation.

Vanuatu and New Caledonia do have a mix of different things to do from cultural centres to markets, beautiful beaches etc.

Both the Sea and Sun Princess were beautiful ships if you will be on one of these

Happy cruising

Sharon

I think I will start looking at the type of excursions offered on each itinerary to get an idea of which I would enjoy most.

As for the ships, the Sun Princess has a special place in my heart as I sailed her maiden voyage.......its was fantastic. To sail her so many years later would be a coming home of sorts....and special to me.

By the way, would a Aussie based ship seem any different to me? Is it more relaxed or a party atmosphere onboard?

My 1st choice would be PNG and best done in their dry season June -November (not so humid). The country is a developing one and I believe the focus is on island communities/culture.

Australians are relaxed and friendly and Princess doesn't attract a 'party' atmosphere. Enjoy whichever cruise you decide on :)

They are three very different places. NZ has the most beautiful scenery in the fjiords. Ports you visit are all quite urban but lots of things to see and do. A beautiful country. South Pacific - depending on which ports you visit. Noumea a French feeling mixed with Polynesia. Quite a busy place. Port Vila good snorkelling, now is quite commercial, but still a lovely place if you get out of the town. I believe the locals refer to the cruise ships as the big white ATM. (Automatic teller).

Lifou, Mystery Island, Isle of Pines, these are very laid back islands, not a lot to do. Great swimming and snorkelling, locals very nice and friendly.

PNG still very undeveloped, again swimming and snorkelling excellent. Locals friendly but many quite shy. I was there late 2014 on one of the first ships to call at some of these islands. I believe they are becoming a little more tourist savvy now. Our taxi driver in Alotau had his two kids in the car with him as he was minding them while his wife was at the markets.

All are beautiful places with lovely people. Do some research on weather, heat, rainy seasons and look at shore excursions before choosing. We all like different things. Also check Trip Advisor for info.

Whichever one you choose I hope you enjoy it. I understand you have to be sure when such a long flight is involved.