Jewel dining options

sayaguru

Im on jewel now

Waterfront and pantry and 2 paying restaurants are your options

I have to say probably the worst food iv ever experienced on a ship

You want a slice of pizza or chips for yor kids w

You gotta pay

Pantry is pretty ordinary the sandwich es are ok yesterday i had a chicken sandwich that had a miniscule shred of chicken in it

Hi, I'm a bit confused by the dining options.

So is there only The Pantry (which looks like a fancy buffet)?

Is there no restaurant? Other than the pay ones?

Thanks.

As others have mentioned, the Waterfront is still a free option, the Pantry is mostly free, but you have to pay for the Grill. I found it a huge disappointment, as instead of a little bit of this and a little bit of that, if you ask for a serve of something, you get way too much and don't really have room to go back and have something else - so you just get one 'type' of food each meal, instead of a little bit of everything, which is the fun of a buffet. You don't have to be wasteful (don't take more than you need) but I liked to treat the buffet as a sampling experience, and you can't do that any more.

The problem I found is that the Pantry is so unpopular, that people are heading to the Waterfront instead, and this is causing lines to get in (even if you have booked) and long wait times once you are seated as the waiters are now so busy. :(

As others have mentioned, the Waterfront is still a free option, the Pantry is mostly free, but you have to pay for the Grill. I found it a huge disappointment, as instead of a little bit of this and a little bit of that, if you ask for a serve of something, you get way too much and don't really have room to go back and have something else - so you just get one 'type' of food each meal, instead of a little bit of everything, which is the fun of a buffet. You don't have to be wasteful (don't take more than you need) but I liked to treat the buffet as a sampling experience, and you can't do that any more.

The problem I found is that the Pantry is so unpopular, that people are heading to the Waterfront instead, and this is causing lines to get in (even if you have booked) and long wait times once you are seated as the waiters are now so busy. :(

That's not good. I was wondering about the restaurant being very busy.

I too like to sample little bits of things at the buffet.

You wonder, when cruiselines change things, whether they think it through or actually ask people who cruise, what they think.

I wish I had done more research before booking this.

I just went on 3 Carnival cruises and a few times I questioned things and was told the decisions came from head office. I sent them an Email asking had anyone from head office actually been on the ship as some things made no sense. :confused:

Just off the Jewel and have been on her previously with the buffet. I much prefer the pantry as you are served by staff so no hands in the buffet!!!!

The sanitisers are around but not obvious in some areas.

One thing the pantry lacked was trays which I have noticed other ships have stopped using too. As I was travelling with my grandaughters, I would sit them at a table (finding a table was often a challenge) then go to get their food but carrying food for 3 people in 2 hands plus cutlery was a challenge. The variety of food was quite good, always fresh fruit available in the desert area.

There is no late night snacks like on other ships but there was always room service and cafe but not free. I would take something back to the room and put in our fridge for a late night snack after the show.

The dining room wasn't overly crowded and the staff as always very friendly. I have been on ships when if was obvious they wanted us done and out as quickly as possible, even not being offered tea and coffee at the end of the meal. Not the case on the Jewel, we could stay as long as we wanted. We could always see empty tables around us.

If travelling with kids be aware there is no kids menu for lunch in the dining room. There was spaghetti bolognaise and fish and chips so my kids were catered for.

I wouldn't say the pantry was unpopular at all, always seemed to be lots of people there and hard to find a table, that's why I found the table first.

We always have breakfast in the MDR on the last morning and it was quite civilized.

Edited by Tara Jane

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really worried about this cruise. I've been regretting booking it really. It's just hubby and I so no kids stuff to worry about.

I'll just have to go on another one on a different ship soon after if it's not good. LOL

Edited by sayaguru

The new “Pantry” (buffet) concept is a gimmick that unfortunately takes up a lot of space that was previously taken up with tables and chairs. The so called “individual cooking stations where your dish is supposedly cooked to order” are nothing more than mini buffet counters where 2 or 3 dishes which come from a central galley are served (not cooked) So you have an Indian food counter, a Mexican food counter, an Asian food counter, a bar, a sandwiches and rolls counter and a sweets counter. For breakfast, all the counters serve their own variation of bacon and eggs or cereal.

The food in the main dining room (the Waterfront) was ok saved only by a very good albeit expensive wine list. Free food on board is limited with the Pantry closing at 11.00am and reopening at 12.00pm closing again at 3.00pm and reopening at 5.00pm only to close again around 9.30pm the dining room (Waterfront) was even more restricted. If you wanted to eat outside of those hours you had to pay extra for a burger or a slice of pizza.

The alternative dining venues Salt Grill and Luna are both excellent, but pricey, especially Salt Grill which costs an extra $49 pp. Luna which is Japanese fusion themed is better value at only $29pp.