Coral Princess 10-Day Panama Canal Partial Transit. D631 - Fiji Suite

Eagle_and_hawk

We sailed our second time on the Coral Princess and it has now become our favorite ship. Our first time was

for our 30th anniversary in 2014, and it was also the partial transit. We had a 7-day cruise booked for this month

for our anniversary on the Emerald, but after the five day cruise we took this past November, we decided it was

not the ship for us. The timing worked out well as when we booked it, there was still a couple of mini-suites left.

On Christmas Day, a full suite came back into inventory and I wanted to surprise my bride, so booked it online

and hoped I could get a hold of our travel agent the day after Christmas, and keep it a secret. She was working

& we got it all taken care of quickly. I really didn't want the 1/2 covered balcony on the Carib deck, however it

was still a suite and that was more important. I kept checking every day for 5 more weeks, in hopes another

one would be available on Dolphin, and a few days before we sailed, D631 was back in inventory. A quick

call to the travel agent and we were moved over in a few minutes.

As the time got closer, I kept trying to decide on transfers from the airport to the port. I finally decided to just

get a private car to transfer us and arranged that the day before we departed for Ft. Lauderdale. They said the only car they had available,

due to the convention in town was a stretch Limo, and

they would be sending that to pick us up at no extra charge. That was fine by me as a nice way to start the

trip, and still another surprise for my beloved Sweetheart. The driver met us at baggage claim, and took us

out to the limo, and she was surprised. It's not the first time we have been in a limo; she was just not

expecting it. I think by the time the back end of the limo left the airport parking garage, the front end was

entering Port Everglades, or so it seemed. It was a fun ride over and a nice upgrade.

The plan was to get her all the way to the room before she found out, and almost made it until we went to

the Elite/Suite waiting lounge and the jig was up. We are not Elite and finally had to tell them them why we

were in the line. The attendant kept asking everyone in line if we had a black card, and finally had to remind

him that it was also for suite passengers. She started asking and then she got her other surprise. So there

we were, setting off on a 10-day adventure in a full suite, and ready to get on board.

The suite was really nice and I will try and give a lot of details and pictures for those who may be interested.

We sailed in an AFT suite on the Emerald back in November, so was already familiar with the benefits, etc.

We were really looking forward to Sabatini's breakfast each morning too. I also have MDR menus & patters

that I will scan and upload as I can get the time. With a 10 day trip, that's 80-100 scans, plus I have the bar

menu's from Crooner's as talked the servers into getting a copy of those.

This is will be a picture intensive thread (at least that is the plan).

When you first open the door, you are walking into the living room area with the love seat & chair. One of the

two entrances to the bathroom is immediately on your right.

24952322192_889a5e8f4d_z.jpgZ1 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

This is the bedroom side of the suite with the dressing table and the other entrance to the bathroom. You have two

sliding doors onto the balcony.

24702804749_632f5dd3a1_z.jpgZ2 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

This works out well if traveling with kids or one person is up at different times of the day/night. The curtains that

divided the two sections are thick, and block out most of the light. There are two heating/AC units and each side of the room has it's own thermostat.

24702804729_e0507b212a_z.jpgZ3 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Here is the view from the balcony door, looking back at the entrance. You have a wet bar sink, one of two TV's,

and the refrigerator in the cabinet below the TV. Complete with Love Boat reruns :)

24443576793_a8a8dc9e56_z.jpgZ5 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

From the bedroom side, you have the entrance to the bathroom thru the door on the left, and the closet is behind

the other door.

24702804719_a203df6328_z.jpgZ4 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

This is separated by a wooden door on the right, that goes into the area with the toilet and sink.

The jetted tub also has a container of bath salts.

24774841020_916a21966a_z.jpgZ6 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25044104186_3168e869f6_z.jpgZ7 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24443576763_c916d421a7_z.jpgZ8 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24774840980_5a4872ba51_z.jpgZ9 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

And yes, you do get a supply of toiletries from the Lotus Spa.

24977138461_572280c849_z.jpgZ30 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The closet has about the same amount of space as the the mini-suites / balcony rooms in my opinion. You have

three rods for hanging clothes, and each one is about 20-22" wide. Maybe a total 5 feet to hang clothes up. There

was plenty of hangers inside, along with the waffle robes, house slippers, and a Princess Umbrella to be used during the cruise.

Our Princess tote bag was in there too. There were four pool towels up top.

25044104076_f78629754a_z.jpgZ21 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Next to the closet was a set of drawers and the safe was behind these doors. Through out the cabin, there is plenty

of drawers for storage and don't think we used half of them.

24439791834_a326a9b88d_z.jpgZ20 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

One thing I will bring up about this suite is the entrance door, that is right off the elevator lobby. When you open the

door, you are looking at everyone who is out there waiting for the elevator and of course, they are looking your way, into the cabin.

If you had mobility issues, this room might be a plus as straight out the door, and no hallways to shuffle around in.

It was nice from that aspect as rarely had to go down the cabin hallways & around carts to get to the room since right off this area.

We did hear more noise from the elevators when in the living room, but never heard anyone at night in the bedroom as very quiet. We were close to the sliding doors and kept the

curtain open all night. It was a great view when the stars were out and there is enough light coming

from the ship, to illuminate the white caps the ship was breaking in the water. It was ever changing scenery in waves, stars, fog, and passing ships in the night.

24977138511_d6ea6e054d_z.jpgZ24 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25070446045_cd269e94de_z.jpgZ25 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The suite directly above it on Carib deck (C643), is also this way.

On the port side, the last suite forward in this area (Dolphin-630 & Carib-628) does not have the door

opening directly into this area as behind the walls. You can see that in the above picture on the other side of the lobby.

Just something to consider when picking one of these suites.

Let's go out to the balcony for a look around:

The balcony is fully covered, and walking if off with my feet, about eight foot deep and twenty feet wide. You have two steamer chairs to relax in.

The room on one side is another full suite, and the other side is a balcony room. In looking at

both partitions, there is the lock on the doors, that would allow the cabin steward to open either

side up between the other cabins if traveling with someone and wanted this option.

25070446175_15df1fd392_z.jpgZ11 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

And a 36" table with two chairs.

25070446165_929fa7da36_z.jpgZ12 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

If you wanted to do the UBD for four people, it would probably be a little tight. You would of course need two

more chairs and maybe they have a portable table to set up. We did UBD for four on the Emerald with our

good friends in the AFT suite, however it has a 48" table and worked out just right. To get an idea of

proportions, we had breakfast out there on Canal day.

24774840920_a68467f744_z.jpgZ15 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24702804609_d8c3fd5177_z.jpgZ17 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

A close up view of the furniture. It could all use a good sanding & sealer applied.

It's was all still fine as not falling apart, just showing a little character as spending all the time at sea.

24977138481_2b1e28455d_z.jpgZ26 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24439791744_28794d7ea4_z.jpgZ28 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

...and a nighttime view for sitting outside and star gazing (with the lights out of course).

24977138581_74ca4c7acd_z.jpgZ13 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

I posted these pictures in a couple of other threads, about the new bedding. This suite does have the new beds.

They are only one month old and a 9" single sided mattress. We can tell this because...........

25044104276_3e3e2d1d2e_z.jpgZ40 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

In talking to the cabin steward, this new topper is used when the two twin beds are slid together to make a queen size. I

f you go with two twins, there is no single topper like this. You can still get the egg crate added to the twin beds.

24774840730_5c36720bb6_z.jpgZ35 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24702804439_c60cb45807_z.jpgZ36 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24774840670_62150d25fc_z.jpgZ37 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25070445905_2b6990a837_z.jpgZ38 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

For inquiring minds that wanna know, the topper is not memory foam, just a regular 1-1.5 inch piece of foam inside.

The topper does have a full zipper so they can remove the foam to replace or wash any of it.

25044103876_3ff83441d5_z.jpgZ39 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The new linens were not on the bed as the cabin steward said they were still waiting for them to arrive.

They were good shape and no problems.

A few other random thoughts about the room. In the bed, you sleep with your feet pointed towards the front

of the ship, and if you were sleeping in the pull out sofa, your feet point towards the back.

There are two TV's, one on each side of the room. With the curtain pulled closed, it does separate the two

areas well if traveling with kids and gives each side there own entrance to the bathroom as needed.

The TV on the living room side does have a DVD player. No, it's not connected via HDMI it's component

connections, red/white/yellow. You can't rotate that TV to get to the back of it as it does show HDMI port capable

on the front. There are no ports on the front or the sides to plug anything into it. However, I know someone

will ask, and the bedroom TV will turn enough to get to the back, if you really need to hook something up:

25070445875_b2e255045f_z.jpgZ50 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

That's about all the details I can think of about the room to post.

Over the next several days, I will try to start scanning menus/patters. The plan is to post one day's worth at

a time until I get it completed, so may take a week or two to move forward.

Since we are still hanging around the cabin until some menus and patters can get scanned, I remember seeing some requests

for what is available for room service & dining options. Those in suites can order from the MDR menu's, however I also took pictures of

the standard room service menus that should be available in any room.

24707359329_92d0a6cfed_z.jpgXA by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24444348244_81cd3a9a10_z.jpgXB by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24448145883_95ef453aa0_z.jpgXC by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25075017455_8cab392c4a_z.jpgXD by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25075017215_f6dfce4f61_z.jpgXE by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24448145743_d11551878d_z.jpgXf by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

There was a lot of discussions about the dry dock and what they were going to do with her while in the Bahamas. We were glad they did not replace Sabatini's with Share as still like that restaurant. They did include a 16 minute video on the the Reflections DVD which we of course bought. I have it in our private Youtube channel as a friend wanted to see it. I also see plenty of dry dock videos all over Youtube, so don't think it's a problem to post the link in here. If it is, I am sure this post will be deleted. There is no way to find it searching since it is unlisted. It's an interesting watch:

First of all, I just want to say that the fact that you still call your DW of 30+ years your "bride" and "beloved sweetheart" has been the most endearing part of this review. She is one lucky woman indeed.

Coming in a close second, however, is your review and wonderful photos. I am cruising the suite life vicariously through you and am loving all the details. I can't wait for more!

Thank you so much for the pictures and all the info. Can't wait to be on that balcony in 2 months .:D

Was your side of the ship ever facing the dock ?

In Aruba, it was facing the dock/island. In Cartagena, we were also facing the dock and had a good view of the city.

Cayman Islands was a tender port & also faced the island, so all in all, a good side to be on, at least for this trip.

We docked back in a different berth in Ft. Lauderdale, but was not dockside. Actually the view was nice as still dark, and watched several ships pull in to the other berths, all lit up.

Thank you so much for the review and especially pictures. We got a surprise upgrade to this particular suite for the New Year's cruise. It will be difficult after this to go back to a balcony or mini-suite. We thoroughly enjoyed getting spoiled.

The Horizon Court was included in the dry dock work as did get new and updated carpet installed. For those

who are not familiar with the Coral, the HC is in the front of the ship with large windows giving you

a panoramic view. It's one of the reasons it's so popular with scenic cruises like Panama Canal and Alaska.

On Canal day, a lot of passengers are up there early to get a good table for the transit. Others like to

be up on the decks to move around, side to side, to absorb all the sights.

A couple of pictures to show the new decor:

25064811656_79b4f41bc6_z.jpgY3 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24464269643_f756be0889_z.jpgY2 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25091135845_6fab5198c9_z.jpgY1 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

I went around one sea day and took a few photos of what was served that day for lunch. It will show

the variety of what is offered and changes most days. One day was Mexican and had refried beans,

tortillas, chips, chili con carne, and a few other things. These were not taken on that day:

24460447474_458a0c9d58_z.jpgY4 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24997819221_3551884ca6_z.jpgY5 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

David, we were also on this cruise. Thank you for posting all the wonderful photos--it's fun to get a peek at a suite!

The new bed was heavenly. We also thought the food on the Coral this time was the best we've ever had on a cruise.

At this point of going through all these photos, I think we all agree it's five O'clock somewhere :)

A good time for me and the love of my life to head out for a martini with Frankie, Dean, Sammy,

Peter & Joey.

Crooners was also updated in the dry dock. A couple of pictures from our first trip in 2014

to show what it use to look like:

24465516933_d0edd2582f_z.jpgCR1 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24461691844_2332b3770b_z.jpgCR2 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24724719509_3739e40e1f_z.jpgCR3 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr